• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

So yesterday's advent offering was a Longmorn 16 year. This is a really nice scotch. Light to medium, nutty, peppy, not too much peat. Seems like it may be difficult to find here in the states.

My wife and I are keeping a running diary of which whiskeys we like from the advent calendar. I fully plan on going back to the Master of Malt web site and ordering several bottles when we're all done. We did pick up a sweet bottle of Edradour (one of my personal favorites) when we bought the advent calendar. You know, to save on shipping costs and whatnot (but mostly just because I like scotch).

My wife and I are keeping a running diary of which whiskeys we like from the advent calendar. I fully plan on going back to the Master of Malt web site and ordering several bottles when we're all done. We did pick up a sweet bottle of Edradour (one of my personal favorites) when we bought the advent calendar. You know, to save on shipping costs and whatnot (but mostly just because I like scotch).

I'm curious if you have the same exact 24 samples or if they vary from set to set.

I'm not sure. We're about a week behind because we were out of town, so I can't compare them to the last couple you've posted on here. They may be the same 24 samples but in a different order. Here's what we've had so far...

1 - Longrow 14 year Sherry Cask
2 - Glenfarclas 105
3 - Springbank 10 year
4 - Clynelish 1993 Oloroso (Sherry Cask Distiller's Edition)
5 - Pikesville Straight Rye
6 - Isle of Skye 8 year

With all this talk of Scotch I went with a pour from across the pond as well, but from a different country - Redbreast 12 Cask Strength Irish Whiskey. Definitely worth picking up a bottle if you haven't tried it.

Huge fan of Redbreast, and the 12 cask strength is solid. I'll likely be drinking some next week with my pops at my parents' place.

Yesterday's offering was the Pikesville Straight Rye. Knowing the bottle but never having it in anything but a mixed drink, I didn't have very high expectations, but it was a lot better than I was expecting. Don't think I'll be buying this to drink straight, but it does make a good manhattan.

Today's offering was Oban 14 year. It's defs a known quantity for me, but it's a solid whiskey. Never disappoints.

Today's offering was Oban 14 year. It's defs a known quantity for me, but it's a solid whiskey. Never disappoints.

That is a good whisky. My Scotch selection is very small compared to my bourbon, but Oban and Highland Park 12 are two that I tend to have around. And Springbank 10. And maybe a Macallan or two.

That is a good whisky. My Scotch selection is very small compared to my bourbon, but Oban and Highland Park 12 are two that I tend to have around. And Springbank 10. And maybe a Macallan or two.

I haven't been very good about maintaining much of a scotch selection these days, but this advent calendar thing is making me rethink that.

Yesterday's goodie was Old Pulteney 21 yr. This is an absolutely steller scotch. I must find some. It is my favorite one so far.

Old Pulteney 12 yr is a go-to when I don't feel like breaking the bank. For like $35, a great scotch

I just hopped on their website real quick, looks like they have a 40-yr they just started bottling. :eek:

Last edited:
I know that there is a 50 year in my advent calendar. Assuming it will be Xmas eve.

A little late to the party here on this advent calendar deal, but is it all scotch and scotch whiskey? No bourbon then?

Just picked up a bottle of 4 roses single barrel and a bottle of 10 year laphroiag. I see enjoyable holiday drinking on the horizon.

A little late to the party here on this advent calendar deal, but is it all scotch and scotch whiskey? No bourbon then?

There have been a few American whiskeys in the mix, but there has been more scotch than anything else. It's good for me since I drink mostly American whiskey, so scotch is a nice different treat.

Yesterday's advent whiskey was interesting. Compass Box Hedonism, which has no malt. It was kind of like a scotch version of Blenheims whiskey, which is 100% wheat. It was quite good.

Today is Talisker 2000 Amoroso Finish Distillers Edition. This is very solid. I am really enjoying it.

Yesterday I went with a pour of Four Roses 2012 Limited Edition Small Batch with my dad and brother while watching the Cowboys game and had a nightcap of Old Weller Antique (single barrel selection). Not a bad Sunday before getting back into the workweek.

So yesterday's whiskey was Johnnie Walker Gold. It's quite good, but for the money there are a number of other things I would buy instead.

Peeked at today's and it's Wild Turkey Straight Rye.

Ordered a bottle of the Jefferson Presidential Select. Will report back.

Back