• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

That's a lot of Parker's Heritage. Which ons are they? I can't tell for sure from the pic, but looks like the first and fourth editions. If you have a 27 yr in there I will find out where you live and burgle you.

That's a lot of Parker's Heritage. Which ons are they? I can't tell for sure from the pic, but looks like the first and fourth editions. If you have a 27 yr in there I will find out where you live and burgle you.

No 27 year. I have a couple of the first edition (Cask Strength), third edition (Golden Anniversary), fourth edition (Wheated) and fifth edition (Cognac finish). I wasn't a fan of the most recent release so I didn't pick any up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Also, sipping Larceny for the first time right now. Maybe I've been spoiling myself with $40+ bottles lately, but it just doesn't seem to smooth out, even as the ice melts. In this price range, I'll stick with 4 Roses. Of course, I'm recovering from a cold, so my taste buds could be off. Will try a Bulleit Rye next to calibrate my tongue with something I know.

Also, sipping Larceny for the first time right now. Maybe I've been spoiling myself with $40+ bottles lately, but it just doesn't seem to smooth out, even as the ice melts. In this price range, I'll stick with 4 Roses. Of course, I'm recovering from a cold, so my taste buds could be off. Will try a Bulleit Rye next to calibrate my tongue with something I know.

Where do you live? Mink's on Delk Rd in Atlanta regularly has Four Roses Single Barrel on sale between $29.99 and $33.99. Best price I've ever found it for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm a Charlottean. That is cheap...I get the Small Batch for that price up here.

I'm not a huge Larceny fan either for the price. The released it initially only in $1.50 minis, so maybe that spoiled my perception.

Drinking Evan Williams Single Barrel. Pretty tasty.

Last edited:
I threw the last of my Buffalo Trace into a hot toddy. Trying to kick the last of this cold. Its going down easy. Might have to make another with some Woodford.

Also, sipping Larceny for the first time right now. Maybe I've been spoiling myself with $40+ bottles lately, but it just doesn't seem to smooth out, even as the ice melts. In this price range, I'll stick with 4 Roses.
My thoughts exactly.
I'm totally heading over to Bears and Deacs' house. Like now.
BRING ME SOME. I LOVE YOU!!!!!

I reached way into the back of my bourbon bunker and came out with a bottle of Mellow Corn BIB. It always surprises me at how good this is for a $13 bottle of whiskey. If you haven't had it, it's not bourbon, so don't expect a lot of the spice and complexity that bourbon offers. But this stuff is very sweet (bourbon's sweetness comes from the corn content) and a very nice, mouth coating, oily mouthfeel.

I have some buddies in a group that I'm a part of that tasted aged corn whiskey at cask strength at Heaven Hill and they said it is outstanding. It's one that we'd like to do a private barrel of, if Heaven Hill will allow us to purchase it!

Last edited:
Bears and Deacs, I'd seriously pay for the shipping or will drive down to hotlanta if you're willing to share.

Bears and Deacs, I'd seriously pay for the shipping or will drive down to hotlanta if you're willing to share.

Haha I'm always willing to share, especially for a fellow Wake fan! There's actually a group of us here in Atlanta (non Wake related) that get together once a quarter or so and drink tons of good bourbon.

Where in NC are you from? I didn't get up to any FB games this year but usually make it up for two or three. I also go to Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach three or four times a year.

Last edited:
Haha I'm always willing to share, especially for a fellow Wake fan! There's actually a group of us here in Atlanta (non Wake related) that get together once a quarter or so and drink tons of good bourbon.

Where in NC are you from? I didn't get up to any FB games this year but usually make it up for two or three. I also go to Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach three or four times a year.

I live about 30 minutes outside of Winston-Salem. If you make it up to a game next season, definitely let me know.

This was in this past weekend's WSJ. Sounds good.

OD-AU966_HOT_TO_OZ_20130102124903.jpg

DURING THIS BLEAK, cold time of year, wine, beer and iced cocktails can chill the throat and stomach. A hot toddy, that traditional mixture of hot water, sweetener, spices and liquor, is both the most practical and magical of winter drinks. It accomplishes many things at once and, drunk in moderation, does no harm—in fact, it soothes and mellows and cheers both body and soul.

Most important, it warms you all the way through. It's the ideal thing to have when you come in from a long homeward commute through snowy, slushy streets, when it's already dark by the time you leave work. It's comforting to come back to a warm apartment or house and shed your wet coat, gloves, hat and scarf and put the kettle on the stove and get out the spices.

You can make a toddy without the liquor, of course, but if you like booze, why would you? A shot of something good confers a relaxing glow as you sip your drink on the couch under a comforter with a good book. In my opinion, nothing enhances a toddy like the nutty caramel sweetness of bourbon.

A hot toddy is salubrious as well as warming. When you're fighting a virus, or even when you already have one, you get the medicinal lift of whiskey, sweet throat-coating honey, curative spices and the crisp tang of lemon with its vitamin C and mythical cold-fighting properties. For a little endorphin rush and immune-system stimulation, I add a very small dash of cayenne pepper. And I always make a toddy in the biggest cup in the house, with as much hot water as possible. Part of its function is to replenish fluids; unlike other cocktails, it doesn't dehydrate you.

Although it's not traditional, I've always made my toddies with tea bags to enrich their flavor and to add caffeine or other properties. Afternoon toddies are excellent with Earl Grey: The bergamot fuses with the bourbon and alchemizes into a wonderful taste. Chai amps up the spice. Ginger tea makes a fantastic, all-the-more-soothing toddy. But just before bedtime, there's nothing like chamomile. It turns the drink into a sleeping aid. Before you know it, you're in deep slumber, with a warm stomach and that sense of cozy calm that is the essence of a hot toddy's practical magic.

This was in this past weekend's WSJ. Sounds good.

OD-AU966_HOT_TO_OZ_20130102124903.jpg

DURING THIS BLEAK, cold time of year, wine, beer and iced cocktails can chill the throat and stomach. A hot toddy, that traditional mixture of hot water, sweetener, spices and liquor, is both the most practical and magical of winter drinks. It accomplishes many things at once and, drunk in moderation, does no harm—in fact, it soothes and mellows and cheers both body and soul.

Most important, it warms you all the way through. It's the ideal thing to have when you come in from a long homeward commute through snowy, slushy streets, when it's already dark by the time you leave work. It's comforting to come back to a warm apartment or house and shed your wet coat, gloves, hat and scarf and put the kettle on the stove and get out the spices.

You can make a toddy without the liquor, of course, but if you like booze, why would you? A shot of something good confers a relaxing glow as you sip your drink on the couch under a comforter with a good book. In my opinion, nothing enhances a toddy like the nutty caramel sweetness of bourbon.

A hot toddy is salubrious as well as warming. When you're fighting a virus, or even when you already have one, you get the medicinal lift of whiskey, sweet throat-coating honey, curative spices and the crisp tang of lemon with its vitamin C and mythical cold-fighting properties. For a little endorphin rush and immune-system stimulation, I add a very small dash of cayenne pepper. And I always make a toddy in the biggest cup in the house, with as much hot water as possible. Part of its function is to replenish fluids; unlike other cocktails, it doesn't dehydrate you.

Although it's not traditional, I've always made my toddies with tea bags to enrich their flavor and to add caffeine or other properties. Afternoon toddies are excellent with Earl Grey: The bergamot fuses with the bourbon and alchemizes into a wonderful taste. Chai amps up the spice. Ginger tea makes a fantastic, all-the-more-soothing toddy. But just before bedtime, there's nothing like chamomile. It turns the drink into a sleeping aid. Before you know it, you're in deep slumber, with a warm stomach and that sense of cozy calm that is the essence of a hot toddy's practical magic.

This does sound pretty good. I haven't made a toddy in a few years...might need to try one again soon.

bears and deacs - where did you get all that pappy?

Back