• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Haha I thought so but wasn't sure. I almost didn't post that because it sounds so ridiculous, but thought I had heard that somewhere.

Just secured a reservation for me and a buddy at an upcoming tasting with Mike Adams, The Bourbon Ambassador from Heaven Hill. Selections from the tasting event are expected to be: TryBox (their new line of un-aged whiskey), Bernheim, Larceny, Evan Williams Single Barrel and Rittenhouse Rye.

Should be a good time!

Unfortunately the 18yr is no longer made. North Carolina recently (back in the fall) lowered the price to a closeout of $25 or so....definitely buy it if you see it! You'll never find an overaged single barrel whiskey at that price again.

The 18yr was replaced by the Elijah Craig 20yr at a price of $140ish.

Hopefully this article has some truth to it. I am sure the reality is somewhere in the middle:

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2012/05/reports-of-death-of-elijah-craig-18.html?m=1

Hopefully this article has some truth to it. I am sure the reality is somewhere in the middle:

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2012/05/reports-of-death-of-elijah-craig-18.html?m=1

I'm sure that is probably accurate. With the bourbon boom, prices of 18 year old whiskey is more around $75, and Heaven Hill was charging $50 for EC18. By raising the price so much on the Elijah Craig 20 year, they can easily bring the 18 year bourbon back in a couple of years at a price more in line with competitors.

It's also worth noting that Heaven Hill had a big fire in 1996 and seven warehouses burned down, taking some 90,000 barrels with it. I think 36 or 37 warehouses were left, but a lot of that bourbon was for the main brands (Evan Williams line, Heaven Hill, Fighting Cock, etc) and Heaven Hill couldn't afford to keep a lot of bourbon aging when they had to meet the demand of the main lines. It's been 16 years, so I wouldn't be surprised if they bring it back in two years once the bourbon that they distilled after the fire has reached the age.

A Willett private barrel pick tonight. 8 year wheated bourbon. If anyone is ever drinking bourbon with me, pass up on the Pappy and go with Willett Barrel 1399. It's awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A Willett private barrel pick tonight. 8 year wheated bourbon. If anyone is ever drinking bourbon with me, pass up on the Pappy and go with Willett Barrel 1399. It's awesome.

Man I can't even find that on the Internet. I saw a review for barrel 305. Being in from PA, where in the hell could I think to even find this? I guess what I am asking if you, or anyone, knows of a good online site to find these kinds of bottles?

That's why you can't find it in stores.

Man I can't even find that on the Internet. I saw a review for barrel 305. Being in from PA, where in the hell could I think to even find this? I guess what I am asking if you, or anyone, knows of a good online site to find these kinds of bottles?

It was a barrel bought by a guy I know and I bought three bottles of it. The barrel yielded 158 bottles at 129 pf.

Ah missed that. Nonetheless, any good places you all go on the net?

The Party Source (Kentucky), Julio's Liquor (Massachusetts), and Shoppers Vineyard (???) are good places to start. Recently some online stores started to crack down on states that they ship to though.

For those interested, Buffalo Trace announced the first Experimental Collection of 2013 – the “Hot Box Toasted Barrel Bourbon Whiskey” and “#7 Heavy Char Barrel Bourbon Whiskey.”

Could be interesting, but roughly $55 for a half bottle of 90 proof whiskey doesn't really get me going. If anyone tries it let me know what you think....this should have some serious wood flavor to it with that heavy of a char and the age in the barrel.

http://www.buffalotracedistillery.co...2012-20-12.pdf

For those interested, Buffalo Trace announced the first Experimental Collection of 2013 – the “Hot Box Toasted Barrel Bourbon Whiskey” and “#7 Heavy Char Barrel Bourbon Whiskey.”

Could be interesting, but roughly $55 for a half bottle of 90 proof whiskey doesn't really get me going. If anyone tries it let me know what you think....this should have some serious wood flavor to it with that heavy of a char and the age in the barrel.

http://www.buffalotracedistillery.co...2012-20-12.pdf

I've really enjoyed most of the other experimental bottles, though there was one I didn't care for all that much. I'll likely end up trying this one if I come across it.

And thanks for the Party Source rec. I'd never heard of it, but they have a pretty wide selection, a lot of which I can't get around here, at prices that are generally better than what I usually see (before shipping, that is). I ended up ordering an E.H. Taylor Straight Rye and a Hirsch Selection 25yr Straight Rye, both of which I am very excited for.

Enjoyed some excellent bourbon cocktails last night:

Brown Derby - Bourbon, Jalapeno-Honey, Grapefruit Juice
Old Fashion w/ Rye
and a pretty good Mint Julep as a night cap

What are the Pit Bourbon drinkers' thoughts on Henry McKenna single barrel? I bought a bottle this weekend. My impression was decently smooth for 100 proof bourbon.

It is the 10 year. I can't find if it is non-chill filtered. "Bottled in bond" whatever that means.

Looks like this?

evenu8az.jpg

I forgot...the one I have was a single barrel that was non chill filtered (or unchillfiltered, as notes by UCF on the hand selected label) by Julio's in Massachusetts.

I think it is pretty good also, and North Carolina has it at a decent price, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Looks like this?

evenu8az.jpg

I forgot...the one I have was a single barrel that was non chill filtered (or unchillfiltered, as notes by UCF on the hand selected label) by Julio's in Massachusetts.

I think it is pretty good also, and North Carolina has it at a decent price, if I remember correctly.

I had a bottle recently and wasn't very impressed.

Back