• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

"Bottled in bond" whatever that means.

Bottled in Bond (often referred to as BIB) means that it is from one distilling season by one distillery and one distiller. It is always 100 proof and always has the distilled spirits plant (DSP) number. In the case of this Henry McKenna, it's DSP-KY-1, which is Heaven Hill.

BIB whiskey must also be at least four years old and is stored in a federally bonded warehouse. Back in the day BIB was usually thought of as quality stuff because the age and proof were always guaranteed.

All of this basically has to do taxes and a guarantee that the consumer was actually buying real whiskey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bottled in Bond (often referred to as BIB) means that it is from one distilling season by one distillery and one distiller. It is always 100 proof and always has the distilled spirits plant (DSP) number. In the case of this Henry McKenna, it's DSP-KY-1, which is Heaven Hill.

BIB whiskey must also be at least four years old and is stored in a federally bonded warehouse. Back in the day BIB was usually thought of as quality stuff because the age and proof were always guaranteed.

All of this basically has to do taxes and a guarantee that the consumer was actually buying real whiskey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the info.

Just got a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 for my birthday. I've never tried it before. My friend claimed it was really good, but I trust you guys more than him. Anyone else know it?

Just got a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 for my birthday. I've never tried it before. My friend claimed it was really good, but I trust you guys more than him. Anyone else know it?

It's good, but not particularly special.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Not a fan myself, though I'm a huge fan of their (currently discontinued) 18 year.

It's not my favorite but I know a lot of people that enjoy it as an every day pour.

EXCELLENT in Bourbon Rickeys. But every bourbon is excellent in a Rickey. Some bourbons are better neat or on the rocks than in a Rickey. EJ12 is not one of those.

I love your optimism :)

Gotta be optimistic...I just found out my favorite "affordable" Bourbon is no longer. I finished off my last bit a week or two ago, and didn't hear it was being discontinued, so I failed to stock up appropriately.

Gotta be optimistic...I just found out my favorite "affordable" Bourbon is no longer. I finished off my last bit a week or two ago, and didn't hear it was being discontinued, so I failed to stock up appropriately.

I know where there used to be a few bottles here in Atlanta...I can check for you and if you want them I'll grab a couple.

I know where there used to be a few bottles here in Atlanta...I can check for you and if you want them I'll grab a couple.

Don't go out of your way, but if you happen to be there and see some, that would be awesome.

Has anyone here aged their own bourbon and/or aged a Manhattan? I'm thinking of picking up a table top aging barrel.

May even just grab one of these "age your own" whiskey kits from TOPO Distillery here in NC to give their whiskey a try and then use the barrel for a batch of Manhattan's once I'm done.

Last edited:
Has anyone here aged their own bourbon and/or aged a Manhattan? I'm thinking of picking up a table top aging barrel.

May even just grab one of these "age your own" whiskey kits from TOPO Distillery here in NC to give their whiskey a try and then use the barrel for a batch of Manhattan's once I'm done.

I've never done it but have friends that have. If you do mess around with this taste early and often. The big problem that most people encounter is that they let it sit for too long and it takes on way too much wood flavor and too many tannins - to the point of being undrinkable.

a9uzy4a6.jpg

Anybody have any thoughts? Can't find it in Pa of course but my buddy said people on offtopic were speaking highly of it. Mostly that it has peat, sweet bourbon notes and the spice of rye all in one bottle. We were both skeptical of this description.

Opened a bottle of Tomatin 12 whisky last night. Really smooth but not nearly as flavorful/enjoyable as Buffalo Trace.

Back