• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

This is bottom shelf stuff I mix with Coke, so its probably full of anything and everything. I grew up drinking moonshine, so I'm used to impurities. Anymore, scotch and Bourbon are the only spirits I drink straight. The rest I mix.

Haha sounds good. Hell, I have North Carolina moonshine in my freezer right now which I got from my cousins that live up in the hills. Damn good stuff but needs to be mixed. I actually think it's best in lemonade.

Been away from bourbon for a few days so I decided to pour some Four Roses tonight after going out with the girlfriend. This is the 13 yr OBSK gift shop release.

mu2ysype.jpg

Hey Bears and Deacs, ever heard of this rare bottle called Old Crow? Light nose and color. The first taste is subtle, with faint notes of oak, cinnamon, caramel, and the slightest hint of rye. Then, the finish comes through with the most smoothness you can ever ask for in a bourbon. Easier than any Irish whiskey or blended malt I've ever tasted.

I know it's hard to find, but if you do ever get your hands on it, check it out, Bears.

Hey Bears and Deacs, ever heard of this rare bottle called Old Crow? Light nose and color. The first taste is subtle, with faint notes of oak, cinnamon, caramel, and the slightest hint of rye. Then, the finish comes through with the most smoothness you can ever ask for in a bourbon. Easier than any Irish whiskey or blended malt I've ever tasted.

I know it's hard to find, but if you do ever get your hands on it, check it out, Bears.

As luck would have it, here's some tax stamped Old Crow from when it was still made by National Distillers. Not bad at all! :)

yny4u3ev.jpg

Here are my quick thoughts on this. Just remember that prices can vary depending on market and taste is subjective.

Under $20
*Rittenhouse BIB (rye whiskey - 100pf)
*Weller Special Reserve (wheated bourbon - 90pf)
Very Old Barton BIB (rye bourbon - 100pf - limited distribution of the BIB version)

$20 - $30
*Old Weller Antique (wheated bourbon - 107pf)
Weller 12 (wheated bourbon - 90pf - 12 years)
Four Roses Small Batch (rye bourbon)
*Buffalo Trace (rye bourbon)
Elijah Craig 12 (rye bourbon - 12 years) - I'm not a huge fan of this one, but many people consider it to be very good
Elmer T. Lee (rye bourbon)
*Old Grand Dad 114 (rye bourbon - 114 pf) - the only Beam product worth buying, in my opinion...I've had some decent Bookers, but that's also a higher price point.
Sazerac (rye whiskey)

$30 - $50
Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107 (wheated bourbon - good if you can find it...usually overpriced)
Rock Hill Farms (rye bourbon - 100pf) - I enjoy this one, but it can vary, since it's a single barrel. Also a little expensive for what you get.
Wild Turkey Rare Breed (rye bourbon)
*Four Roses Single Barrel (rye bourbon - OBSV recipe)

$50+
- all of these are limited or yearly releases
*Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch (rye bourbon) - usually excellent.
*Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye (rye whiskey) - hard to find but very good...the only Van Winkle that I would actually look for
*Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (George T. Stagg, William Larue Weller, Sazerac 18, Eagle Rare 17, Thomas H. Handy) - the only one that I look for is the William Larue Weller. Second and third choice are Stagg and Saz 18. Handy is good, but overpriced for youngish rye whiskey.
*Parker Heritage Collection - I didn't find this years to be particularly good, but some people have said it's one of their favorite whiskeys of all time. Even though I didn't like it, this is a top class yearly release.

I'm sure there are others that I am forgetting.

Do you prefer Weller Antique or Special Reserve regardless of price?

Do you prefer Weller Antique or Special Reserve regardless of price?

I personally prefer Old Weller Antique regardless of price. I like a little higher proof and it has a little more flavor.

I still drink Special Reserve from time to time, but it's not a regular pour for me. Georgia lowered the price to $9.99 for a 750ml bottle of Special Reserve last summer so I bought several of them. At that price they are perfect to take to a party and let people mix it, but it's still good enough to drink straight or on the rocks.

i'm gonna have to check out this Old Weller line, don't know that I've ever had it

this is the one available at my go to liquor store:

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDe...k=All&Nty=1&Ntt=old+weller&N=0&ProductID=3922

It won't look like the one in that picture, buckets (just an FYI so you aren't looking for that specific bottle). They have changed the label (no longer a paper label) and have changed the bottle shape. It's still that same height but it is a bell shaped bottle. They have also removed the age statement, so it's no longer seven years old.

It now looks like this:

yha5u2uj.jpg

Yeah I need to get a bottle of that Old Weller. I've only tried rye bourbons so it'll be nice to try a wheated bourbon. From what I'm reading wheated is sweet and smooth, whereas rye has more spice and a stronger nose.

Yeah I need to get a bottle of that Old Weller. I've only tried rye bourbons so it'll be nice to try a wheated bourbon. From what I'm reading wheated is sweet and smooth, whereas rye has more spice and a stronger nose.

That's it, in a nut shell.

Upon your recommendation, I picked up a bottle this afternoon. Sadly, the NC "Moonshine" selection is cramping our once proud bourbon section of my local ABC store. I also picked up a bottle of this to try.

Let me know what you think about that one...I've never tried it.

As is the case with most bourbons, time in the glass (and to an extent in the bottle upon opening) can change the flavor dramatically. Wheated bourbons especially seem to open up a little after some "air time." Usually this is a good thing, as a little bit of alcohol evaporates and seems to round out the bourbon.

Next week I going to go back through and make a list, but there are two that stick out from memory.

Yeah, silly stuff. But I'm not going to begrudge someone for paying that. I certainly wouldn't, but far be it for me to tell someone else how to spend their coin.

Did you ever do the list reviewing each whiskey?

Let me know what you think about that one...I've never tried it.

I just had an afternoon delight glass. It was lighter in color than I expected, maybe they aged it in white oak or aged it less than a standard bourbon. It is filtered, so it was pretty smooth. At 88 proof, its got a nice warmth and kick to it. The flavor wasn't as robust as I like, but not bad at all. I didn't like that it was bottled in a wine bottle though, it was difficult to pour.

The flavor wasn't as robust as I like...

That's what I've heard about this one in the past. I didn't want to say it because I didn't want to influence your opinion at all, but I've heard it's just a low/med proof bourbon without much complexity.

I finished my first bottle of W.L. Weller Antique (107 Proof) last night. It was really really good.

Back