• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

That's what I've heard about this one in the past. I didn't want to say it because I didn't want to influence your opinion at all, but I've heard it's just a low/med proof bourbon without much complexity.

The best way I can describe it is like drinking Pepsi and switching to Sam's Choice. It was quite smooth, and I think it'd be good for someone who wants to break into bourbon from other liquors, before going to the more traditional stuff. I could see this being catered as a woman's bourbon, since most women I know dont like the flavor of straight bourbon.

Bought a bottle of Old Weller Antique last night. Needs a minute with an ice cube or a splash of water to smooth out, but very drinkable once the proof is down a bit from 107.

Also picked up one of the age your own whiskey kits from TOPO in Chapel Hill that I linked earlier in the thread. Will get started on that soon. I already drink mostly local craft beer, so I'm looking forward to giving local craft spirits a try as well. Appreciate that it's organic as well.

Bought a bottle of Old Weller Antique last night. Needs a minute with an ice cube or a splash of water to smooth out, but very drinkable once the proof is down a bit from 107.

I'll add an ice cube about half the time also. I think it brings out a little more of the sweetness. My brother always adds two when he drinks OWA.

Also picked up one of the age your own whiskey kits from TOPO in Chapel Hill that I linked earlier in the thread. Will get started on that soon. I already drink mostly local craft beer, so I'm looking forward to giving local craft spirits a try as well. Appreciate that it's organic as well.

Let us know how it turns out!

Let us know how it turns out!

Will do. Planning to do a weekly tasting. I think they recommend bottling it between 4-5 months or so (ages much quicker in a tiny barrel due to the ratio of whiskey to barrel surface area), at which point I'm going to mix up a big batch of Manhattan's and throw in in to age/mellow a bit. Looking forward to being able to walk in the door, turn the spigot and have a cocktail on those days when I want more than just a straight poor.

Meeting up with a buddy this weekend who is getting ready for his first deployment. Definitely going to break out the Pappy 20 for this one..

I saw on Drinking Made Easy (at least I think) where they visited a distiller that sold white liquor with a toasted oak sprial that you dropped in the bottle and let age to your liking. Was thinking about making a stove top distiller and buying some of the toasted oak chips or spirals from my homebrew supplier to do this myself.

ETA: Found the place onI saw on DME... http://www.fogsenddistillery.com/hand_craft.html

Last edited:
Best I've got to share at this point.

He's going to A-stan, but I'm not sure where.

You'll have to figure out something nice for when he comes back.

I bought my brother a handle of Knob Creek when he came back for the first night we went out together. He is supposed to go to OCS this summer so I'm going to try and find something nice for him for graduation.

Had some Copper Fox Rye with a breakfast last weekend. Good stuff.

I spent a weekend at Shenandoah NP in November and saw the sign for their distillery on the way home. Stopped, got a 1 on 1 tour and bought a bottle of the rye. Apparently they've built up quite the rep. Really nice people and what seemed a nice outfit. But it had a really strong taste compared to Bulleit rye (which is really the only other I've had and I liked a lot). I like it, but it really gets in your face imo. Is it a function of them bottling after 1year? Or am I just being a novice here?

Went with a couple Weller 12's tonight at Holman & Finch while waiting for the hamburger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I spent a weekend at Shenandoah NP in November and saw the sign for their distillery on the way home. Stopped, got a 1 on 1 tour and bought a bottle of the rye. Apparently they've built up quite the rep. Really nice people and what seemed a nice outfit. But it had a really strong taste compared to Bulleit rye (which is really the only other I've had and I liked a lot). I like it, but it really gets in your face imo. Is it a function of them bottling after 1year? Or am I just being a novice here?

Young stuff can be really wild. I think it might also have to do with using what seems like rauchmalt for 1/3 of the grain bill and aging w/ apple and cherry chips.

I know its not fancy and I'm looking forward to trying Old Weller... but Buffalo Trace is my everday sipper and I'll be damned if its not tasting real good neat right now

I'll do you one worse. I was feeling a bit nostalgic at the ABC store recently and bought some Evan William's Black Label. My go to back at Wake.

Bought my first bottle of Four Roses this weekend. So far I like it more than Eagle Rare and Woodford Reserve. Next time i'm going with Jeffersons or Buffalo Trace.

I'll do you one worse. I was feeling a bit nostalgic at the ABC store recently and bought some Evan William's Black Label. My go to back at Wake.

Haha the label looks enough like Jack, amirite?

Back