• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

I added Bourbon Trail to my short list of bachelor party locations because of this thread. I love the idea of passing around a fifth of Makers during a Makers tour.

I added Bourbon Trail to my short list of bachelor party locations because of this thread. I love the idea of passing around a fifth of Makers during a Makers tour.

We did this for mine and I'd totally recommend it. We stayed in Lexington, and the guys rented a mini bus to drive us from distillery to distillery. There's nothing more manly that hanging out with your best friends drinking bourbon all day. We did it over a two day period. Jim Beam, Heaven Hills and Makers Mark are about an hour away from the others, so we did those three in one day and the other three plus Buffalo Trace the other.

I'd definitely add Four Roses as one to visit...they usually have a good gift shop only bottle for sale in addition to the standard stuff. When I was up there in November I picked up a 13 yr gift shop release that is excellent.

I'm not sure what your budget is like but if you want a very nice place to stay you should look at the Seelbach Hilton in Louisville. It has a fantastic bar that I would recommend visiting even if you do not stay there....tons of bourbon, as you would expect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seelbach_Hotel

I think they still have some Rathskeller Rye as well. If so, it's worth trying...some of the best rye whiskey ever made.

4121580748_61fc1a5a80_z.jpg

any thoughts on George T. Stagg? ventured out to a liquor store that had bottles at ~140 proof each.

any thoughts on George T. Stagg? ventured out to a liquor store that had bottles at ~140 proof each.

I hope you picked some up. It's not all that easy to find. It's real good stuff, but goddamn is it hot. 140+ proof is no joke.

haha, after reading the internetz i bought the 2 bottles this place had in stock

can't wait to crack it open

Anyone know where to find or if it's even still made. Black maple hill 16 or 18 yr. or rittenhouse 21 or 25 yr. sorry if already mentioned

Just had a sip.... Very hot but good grief it is tasty. Thanks for the advice bros.

ymeqada8.jpg

What? No, kill me now!

Makers Mark Assholes said:
Dear Maker’s Mark® Ambassador,

Lately we’ve been hearing from many of you that you’ve been having difficulty finding Maker’s Mark in your local stores. Fact is, demand for our bourbon is exceeding our ability to make it, which means we’re running very low on supply. We never imagined that the entire bourbon category would explode as it has over the past few years, nor that demand for Maker’s Mark would grow even faster.

We wanted you to be the first to know that, after looking at all possible solutions, we’ve worked carefully to reduce the alcohol by volume (ABV) by just 3%. This will enable us to maintain the same taste profile and increase our limited supply so there is enough Maker’s Mark to go around, while we continue to expand the distillery and increase our production capacity.

We have both tasted it extensively, and it’s completely consistent with the taste profile our founder/dad/grandfather, Bill Samuels, Sr., created nearly 60 years ago. We’ve also done extensive testing with Maker’s Mark drinkers, and they couldn’t tell a difference.

Nothing about how we handcraft Maker’s Mark has changed, from the use of locally sourced soft red winter wheat as the flavor grain, to aging the whisky to taste in air-dried American white oak barrels, to rotating our barrels during maturation, to hand-dipping every bottle in our signature red wax.

In other words, we’ve made sure we didn’t screw up your whisky.

By the way, if you have any comments or questions, as always, we invite you to drop us a line at rob@makersmark.com or bill@makersmark.com. Thanks for your support. And if you’ve got a little time on your hands, come down and see us at the distillery.

Sincerely,

Rob Samuels
Chief Operating Officer
Ambassador-in-Chief

Bill Samuels, Jr.
Chairman Emeritus
Ambassador-at-

Maker’s Mark Distillery
3350 Burks Spring Road
Loretto, KY, 40037

WE MAKE OUR BOURBON CAREFULLY. PLEASE ENJOY IT THAT WAY.
Maker's Mark® Bourbon Whisky and Maker's 46® Bourbon Whisky. 42% and 47% ABV.
©2013 Maker’s Mark Distillery, Inc. Loretto, KY.

Just had a sip.... Very hot but good grief it is tasty. Thanks for the advice bros.

ymeqada8.jpg

If you have a spare 200ml sitting around I would suggest cutting it to 107 proof and letting it sit for a week or two (and shake the bottle occasionally to agitate). The flavor melds much better than when you mix on the fly.

Stay safe buckets!

Last edited:
If you have a spare 200ml sitting around I would suggest cutting it to 107 proof and letting it sit for a week or two (and shake the bottle occasionally to agitate). The flavor melds much better than when you mix on the fly.

Stay safe buckets!

Oh...here's the formula to cutting to a specific proof...had to jot it down on a bar napkin for you. Water obviously = 0 as mixing proof. This also helps you reach a proof by blending two spirits.

nedymu5a.jpg

Back