• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

At dinner last night they had Old Weller Antique for a very reasonable $6 a glass. I had never tried it, but found to be quite delicious after giving it 5 minutes with a couple ice cubes. It looks like I have something new to put in the rotation. It was a nice desert after a healthy portion of lamb bolognese.

Had a glass of WL Weller Reserve last night at Old Glory in Gtown. I was stunned by how much I enjoyed it - incredible smooth.

Interesting little bit of bourbon history about Maker's Mark:

Bill Samuels, Sr. failed at his first distillery. He then joined the Navy and, upon retirement, moved just outside of Bardstown, KY. He started the new distillery and experimented with different mashbill recipes and settled on wheated bourbon after receiving a lot of help with from Julian Van Winkle, Sr. (aka Pappy). Van Winkle gave Samuels Sr. the recipe to use as well as the yeast and, voila! Maker's Mark was born.

I'd love to see Maker's come out with something older than its current product. I'm sure a 10yr Maker's mark would sell well but it would probably be overpriced, just like the current product.

Time to find a Makers replacement. I guess I can go Jack D all day every day? That can't be a bad thing.

Here's your replacement. This is 107 proof and if you want 90 proof go with Weller Special Reserve.

guduvuvu.jpg

Those are private single barrel selections...that's why I have so many of them. They are outstanding. Over the last year almost all of my purchases have been private barrels. I've only bought a handful from the liquor store.

Those are private single barrel selections...that's why I have so many of them. They are outstanding. Over the last year almost all of my purchases have been private barrels. I've only bought a handful from the liquor store.

Do you purchase your own barrel? I'm completely fascinated by your collection and how you acquire.

Also - noticed a seemingly high-end bottle of Willet(t?) and a bottle of Hirsch at the local store. Interwebs info seems a little spotty. Any thoughts on either of those?

Do you purchase your own barrel? I'm completely fascinated by your collection and how you acquire.

Also - noticed a seemingly high-end bottle of Willet(t?) and a bottle of Hirsch at the local store. Interwebs info seems a little spotty. Any thoughts on either of those?

I don't purchase them on my own. I'm part of a small group that selects barrels and we have a fairly specific profile that we look for. We like lots of brown sugar, caramel, vanilla, etc. with low heat. With barrel proof bourbons there will always be alcohol heat, but we try to avoid bourbons that just taste "hot" regardless of alcohol.

The important thing to remember about the Willett bottles is that they are single barrels purchased from KBD (Kentucky Bourbon Distillers). Interestingly, KBD did not, until last year, distill its own bourbon. They have always purchased barrels from other distilleries and age it at their location. Because of this, it's often hard to tell who actually made the bourbon that you're drinking. Also, because they are all single barrels, some bottles could be absolute crap and others could be delicious. The label was made so they could do one off barrels - there is no specific proof or age (these are hand written on the label).

If you have the barrel number of the Willett I'll ask some of my contacts to see if they have any info on the barrel.

I generally like Hirsch but there are a number of different bottles. Which did you see? I currently have a 25 yr old rye that is steller.

I don't purchase them on my own. I'm part of a small group that selects barrels and we have a fairly specific profile that we look for. We like lots of brown sugar, caramel, vanilla, etc. with low heat. With barrel proof bourbons there will always be alcohol heat, but we try to avoid bourbons that just taste "hot" regardless of alcohol.

The important thing to remember about the Willett bottles is that they are single barrels purchased from KBD (Kentucky Bourbon Distillers). Interestingly, KBD did not, until last year, distill its own bourbon. They have always purchased barrels from other distilleries and age it at their location. Because of this, it's often hard to tell who actually made the bourbon that you're drinking. Also, because they are all single barrels, some bottles could be absolute crap and others could be delicious. The label was made so they could do one off barrels - there is no specific proof or age (these are hand written on the label).

If you have the barrel number of the Willett I'll ask some of my contacts to see if they have any info on the barrel.

I appreciate the offer. What you've shared with me about the Willett doesn't quite sit well with me given the price at the store so I will probably pass at this point.

I generally like Hirsch but there are a number of different bottles. Which did you see? I currently have a 25 yr old rye that is steller.

I don't recall off the top of my head. I wrote it down, but lost the paper.

I appreciate the offer. What you've shared with me about the Willett doesn't quite sit well with me given the price at the store so I will probably pass at this point.

The most expensive Willett bottle that I've bought was $100 for 18 year wheated bourbon. It's one of the best bourbons that I've had and at that price it's a steal. I bought four bottles and should have bought 10.

What are they charging for it? Do you know how old it is? Some of the other bottles I have are in the 7-9 year range and they are about $50ish. Terrific bourbon from a run of barrels that we had the guys at KBD earmark for us.

The most expensive Willett bottle that I've bought was $100 for 18 year wheated bourbon. It's one of the best bourbons that I've had and at that price it's a steal. I bought four bottles and should have bought 10.

What are they charging for it? Do you know how old it is? Some of the other bottles I have are in the 7-9 year range and they are about $50ish. Terrific bourbon from a run of barrels that we had the guys at KBD earmark for us.

$130...I think it's in the 21 or 23 year range.

Back