• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Also - noticed a seemingly high-end bottle of Willet(t?) and a bottle of Hirsch at the local store. Interwebs info seems a little spotty. Any thoughts on either of those?

I'm not sure if you saw Hirsch bourbon or rye.

The most sought after Hirsch bourbons are the 16yo expressions. Generally speaking, the bottle with the blue wax is considered the best, followed by gold wax, and then the gold foil. There is a 20yo with red wax, but it has a lot of oak. A few people I know put it right behind the gold wax expression. These are all extremely rare at this point and I think going rate is $1000+ per bottle on the secondary market.

The Hirsch rye is a completely different animal and is not from the same distillery as the bourbon that I mention above.

Last edited:
It really is amazing how much whiskey you have.

haha jesus christ I was going to make a joke asking if that was your house.. you are the man.

I think I'm going to pick up a bottle of the Special Reserve to take to Sugar Mountain this weekend

Killed off the last of a lingering bottle of Knob Creek tonight; hopefully I can swing by the store this week to get something new for the shelf. Thinking Old Weller Antique, if they have it.

Debating on whether to open the Johnny Drum or Elmer T. Lee next.

Killed off the last of a lingering bottle of Knob Creek tonight; hopefully I can swing by the store this week to get something new for the shelf. Thinking Old Weller Antique, if they have it.

Debating on whether to open the Johnny Drum or Elmer T. Lee next.

Elmer T. Lee would be my choice.

Finally got into this Weller Antique for the first time last night and it is awfully smooth stuff, especially for a 107 proof. There is almost no burn at all. I found is to be especially tasty after a good meal, but it would be good sipping about any time.

The question I have is, why is this stuff so inexpensive? I paid $18.99 for a bottle of this vs $26.99 for a Beams Black. I guess it must be in the marketing.

is there much of a difference between the Weller Antique (107 proof) and the WL Weller 12 yr?

is there much of a difference between the Weller Antique (107 proof) and the WL Weller 12 yr?

Yes, OWA (Old Weller Antique) is 6 to 7 years and 107 proof. Weller 12 is 12 years and 90 proof.

I always keep a bottle of OWA and Weller 12 mixed at a 1:1 ratio. Creates a very good blend at about 98 proof. The Weller 12 adds a little more complexity and the OWA raises the proof. It's very tasty.

Another good $20 - $24 bottle is Old Granddad 114. I think this is one of the best bargains in bourbon and it's the only Beam product that I think is worth buying. Handles water well if you want to cut it and has some great flavor. A very solid choice for any bar and I have a few put away in the bunker. I haven't opened one in a while but that's only because I have too many open bottles as it is.

I'll try Old Granddad 114 next. I have been sampling Old Weller all afternoon since I got home and I must say it's as good as hyped.

Another good $20 - $24 bottle is Old Granddad 114. I think this is one of the best bargains in bourbon and it's the only Beam product that I think is worth buying. Handles water well if you want to cut it and has some great flavor. A very solid choice for any bar and I have a few put away in the bunker. I haven't opened one in a while but that's only because I have too many open bottles as it is.

please tell me that aside from that beautiful bakers shelf full of bourbon you have an additional bunker full of even more?

a sneak peak?

DSCN0559.JPG

please tell me that aside from that beautiful bakers shelf full of bourbon you have an additional bunker full of even more?

I have more in a spare closet, but it's not as nice looking so I didn't put a picture up. Plus I have a little more stashed away in other places.

I desperately want to hang out with Bears and Deacs and drink bourbon and talk about RG3 and just shoot the shit. Best New Poster 2013 already in the bag.

NOT BOURBON but had 5 pours of Bushmills 21 year tonight, and legit one of the finest spirits i've had in a long time. Perhaps since the flight of High West I had at Boundary Stone in DC last year.

I just want to quote Talking Heads all night now.

Back