• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

I saw a bottle of Peerless Bourbon on the shelves on Saturday. Value priced at the Piggly Wiggly for $72.

3a0b094be98fcc5954b134d493fd8746.jpg

Today was restock the bar day. Found a 1.75 bottle of Eagle Rare. A 1.75 of Buffalo Trace. 750 of Sazerac Rye. 750 of Elijah barrel proof. 750 of Henry McKenna single barrel and 750 of Larceny Barrell proof. Also bought a bottle of the Buffalo Bourbon Cream...Never had it, but figure it would be a nice dessert drink.

Nothing crazy good, but some solid bottles. Had to hit like 7 stores in Asheville/Fletcher to find the Eagle and Buffalo. It's stupid how hard those are to find in NC, as they aren't even *that* good of bourbons. They're just hard to find, and people want to buy shit that isn't easy to find.

Oh and a bottle of Weller Special Reserve, and Woodford Wheat.

Shouldn't have to buy bourbon until the holidays now.

Like Labor Day?

I used to be able to buy 1.75 Buffalo Trace on the regular and now I can’t ever find it. It was my go to drink.

Yeah who am I kidding. It won't last long.

Was in Asheville, and drove into Johnson City. Found the 1.75 Buffalo Trace in JC. Found the 1.75 Eagle Rare in Asheville.

If you're in SC, Six & Twenty distillery makes a good 5 grain bourbon. Picked up a Total Wine barrel pick of it in MB last year. Wish I had bought a few more. They have an Old Money wheat whiskey that's pretty good to, but on the low proof side. They also have a liquor cream that is as good as Buffalo Trace in my opinion.

From NC, Mystic Farm has their Heart of Mystic single barrel bourbon that is fantastic.

From NC, Mystic Farm has their Heart of Mystic single barrel bourbon that is fantastic.

Interesting, I’ve been wondering if that place was any good. It’s less than 15 minutes from me and have been meaning to get out there but just haven’t made it happen yet. They have always have cool looking events going on.

ooooooh special reserve

i haven't seen that one in awhile, but still have a bottle of OWA that I treat myself to a pour from every few months

Interesting, I’ve been wondering if that place was any good. It’s less than 15 minutes from me and have been meaning to get out there but just haven’t made it happen yet. They have always have cool looking events going on.

I guess I should clarify. The bottle I had was very good but it is single barrel so I guess you never know. I'll definitely pick up another bottle at some point.

The rye from Fainting Goat in Greensboro is also good and they put out a maple cask finish rye that slaps.

I guess I should clarify. The bottle I had was very good but it is single barrel so I guess you never know. I'll definitely pick up another bottle at some point.

The rye from Fainting Goat in Greensboro is also good and they put out a maple cask finish rye that slaps.

They have a really cool barrel experience where you spend the day learning the whole process then can go back each year and taste your bourbon as it ages. Thinking about trying to do that for my dad’s 60th later this year.

They have a really cool barrel experience where you spend the day learning the whole process then can go back each year and taste your bourbon as it ages. Thinking about trying to do that for my dad’s 60th later this year.

That's pretty cool! I did a distiller for a day experience at Old Nick Williams. It was pretty fun but basically I paid them to be their free labor for 8 hours.

I'm gonna talk about two non-southern bourbons for a moment, so if this offends you, please move to the next post.

High West has replaced their American Prairie with an inferior product that is simply called High West Bourbon. Its still fine, but I am not a huge fan of caramel in bourbon. American Prairie was my preferred $30-40 bottle, but I think I will have to find a new one now.

Whistlepig has come out with not 1 but 2 Bourbons. The 1st, Beyond Bonded Bourbon, which I will be having at the Vanderbilt tailgate. I have high expectations for this one. The 2nd is their Piggyback Bourbon. The Piggyback is their cocktail (mixing) variety. Since the Piggyback Rye is not what I would call drinkable for a $60 bottle, I expect the same from the Piggyback Bourbon, though I will still give it a shot.

I'm gonna talk about two non-southern bourbons for a moment, so if this offends you, please move to the next post.

High West has replaced their American Prairie with an inferior product that is simply called High West Bourbon. Its still fine, but I am not a huge fan of caramel in bourbon. American Prairie was my preferred $30-40 bottle, but I think I will have to find a new one now.

Whistlepig has come out with not 1 but 2 Bourbons. The 1st, Beyond Bonded Bourbon, which I will be having at the Vanderbilt tailgate. I have high expectations for this one. The 2nd is their Piggyback Bourbon. The Piggyback is their cocktail (mixing) variety. Since the Piggyback Rye is not what I would call drinkable for a $60 bottle, I expect the same from the Piggyback Bourbon, though I will still give it a shot.

Is the WP bourbon from their own distillate or still sourced? I read they were releasing some of their own distilled whiskey soon.

I've got a nice Whistlepig Old World Rye, 12 year. Just googled it and had no idea that my sister paid this much for it. Wow. Oops. Still, very good.

But they also bought me a while ago a bottle of Chattanooga Whiskey "Founder's Tenth Anniversary Blend" which was one of the tastiest bottles I've ever had. And I just googled and that bottle retails for only like $50.

The Beyond Bonded Bourbon is a farmstock so it is their own distillate. I doubt the Piggyback is.

Phan, you have a very good sister. Old World Rye is one of the best I have ever had, probably my favorite Rye. Be sure to enjoy that one.

Let's talk rye! My first exposure to rye was Rittenhouse, which is barely a rye. I've tasted quite a few since; Dad's Hat, Ragged Branch, Zeb's from ONW (sourced from MGP), CB Fisher's (regular and maple cask), Catoctin Creek, Thistle Finch, John A.P. Conoley (out of NC) and a few others.

What is your favorite rye?

Whistle pig 18 year will not make it to the tailgate tomorrow but it was very good. Trying to post a pic of the empty bottle but it’s too legs apparently.

I absolutely love Whistlepig.

There are about 500+ people in line at the SouthPark CLT ABC store. Some camped overnight. Any idea what is releasing or what it is?

Back