• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

I'm with you. Knob Creek is my go-to special occasion bourbon. It's tough ballin' on a budget.

Dude in my program and I were talking about Johnny Walker Blue, and I was like, "Yeah, I've never had it, but one day I'd be curious to try it out." After, the football game on Saturday apparently he went to the liquor store and bought a fifth.

Johnny Blue is good, but not remotely worth the price. If I'm spending that much on brown liquor, I'm getting something much more interesting.

In Blue's price range I'd much prefer an XO cognac.

To be honest with you, at about $120/bottle, the aged in oak/cognac cask tequila Paradio os better to me than Blue.

Yeah, personally, if I'm about to spend that much on a bottle, I'm not going with Blue. We were just talking about bourbon, whiskey, and Scotch and somebody asked, "What's the really expensive Johnny Walker?" To which a girl in the group responded, "Johnny Walker Black".

I promptly corrected her.

In Blue's price range I'd much prefer an XO cognac.

To be honest with you, at about $120/bottle, the aged in oak/cognac cask tequila Paradio os better to me than Blue.

I don't think I've ever had really high priced tequila. I really like a nice tequila, but I don't think I've ever paid more than $60 for a bottle. Maybe I'll give this a try.

Yeah, personally, if I'm about to spend that much on a bottle, I'm not going with Blue. We were just talking about bourbon, whiskey, and Scotch and somebody asked, "What's the really expensive Johnny Walker?" To which a girl in the group responded, "Johnny Walker Black".

I promptly corrected her.

She was off by a few. Green, then Gold, then Blue.

Sauza has a bottle of tequila for $250-350 that is't close to being as good as Paradiso. They have at the tequila bar at Bally's next time you are in Vegas.

Here's Blue's big brother:

Johnnie Walker Blue King Geo V
Handcrafted from rare whiskies produced only in distilleries that operated during the reign of King George V. Profound smoky initial aroma, powerful and rich on the palate, lingering rich peaty finish
» 750 ML
$599.99

Isn't Knob Creek under $30 back east like it is here?

I've also gotten into buying either Courvoisier VS or Henessey VS rather than some bourbon. A local grocery store always has one of those for under $20 a bottle. It seems like they alternate between the two each week.

I think Knob is in the low to mid $30s range. But I really don't like Knob so I'm not 100% sure. But I do appreciate a good cognac as an alternative. And I prefer inexpensive cognac to inexpensive whiskey.

We have this wild ass small gorcery chain that has everything from a Mexican bakery to Russian sausages and Leabonese grappa. For some reason they use Courvoissier or Hennessey every week as a sale item.

Knob seems to be $25-29 here.

To help me decide my next sampling - NC ABC stock list, calculated price per liter and Wine Enthusiast rating of at least 90:

bourbon.gif

How much, if any credence can be given to these ratings? I mean Evan Williams being on top of all these others, wtf?

bump...I need a shot after the day I've had.

Beams Black is all I have so I guess that'll have to do.

So some guy was trying to tell me the other day that a few drops of water will open up a bourbon. He says he has taken bourbon tasting classes that have told him this.

Is this true?

If you go to Scotland, they always put some water in the scotch....

So some guy was trying to tell me the other day that a few drops of water will open up a bourbon. He says he has taken bourbon tasting classes that have told him this.

Is this true?

Maybe. The best way to drink bourbon is however you like it best.

Though I would note that if it's not barrel proof, the distillery has already added water to your bourbon.

Is this true?

This is what we were told at Woodford Reserve when we did our tasting. They suggested one cube of ice per glass. It slightly lowers the temperature below room temperature, but doesnt water it down very much.

This is what we were told at Woodford Reserve when we did our tasting. They suggested one cube of ice per glass. It slightly lowers the temperature below room temperature, but doesnt water it down very much.

So does the water actually help, or can whiskey stones do the trick?

I prefer a little bit of water in the glass. I can taste a difference now that I know what to look for. Without the piece of ice/splash of water I can identify a few subtle flavors at different times while sipping. Adding it doubles the number of flavor hints.

Back