• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

I saw that Sean Brock went to rehab and sold off his amazing bourbon collection

Kilchoman Machir Bay is a peaty Islay whiskey that has way better balance then Ardberg, Laguvilin or Laphroaig. Highly recommend.

Also Edradour 10 is one of my favorites that hasn't been mentioned.

Scotch is "W-h-i-s-k-y"_ . . . . without the "e". ;)

Edradour 10 is a very nice Scotch. I haven't tried Kilchoman Machir Bay. I will be on the lookout for it. Thanks for the heads up!!

I've been to Edradour. It was the first distillery that I ever visited. I just picked up an Edradour Ballechin. Unlike most Edradour Scotches, the Ballechin line is heavily peated. (Distilled using barley which has been infused with peat to a level not less than 50ppm.)

I keep a spread sheet of the whisky/whiskey that I have tried. Yesterday I officially logged in my 498th different Scotch Whisky. :) My son sent me a Father's Day gift that I have to sign for. I am assuming that it is a single malt that I haven't tried. That will bring my total of Scotch whiskies to 499.

I've been to Scotland three times and visited 12 different distilleries . . . including three distilleries on Islay. I attended the Scotch Masterclass at Glengoyne.

If you get to London, Milroy's of Soho is a fantastic Scotch bar. I've been there twice with my son.

A Scotch thread would be cool!

Anyone mention High West American Prairie? Best $30 Bourbon in my opinion. If you want to go blowing the kid's college savings though, Whistle Pig Rye, the old World Cask is the smoothest brown liquor my lips have tasted. I actually preferred it over the Boss Hog, Black Prince.

Anyone mention High West American Prairie? Best $30 Bourbon in my opinion. If you want to go blowing the kid's college savings though, Whistle Pig Rye, the old World Cask is the smoothest brown liquor my lips have tasted. I actually preferred it over the Boss Hog, Black Prince.

I prefer the Double Rye, but the Campfire is pretty solid too.

I prefer the Double Rye, but the Campfire is pretty solid too.

Double Rye is fine, but the Campfire is too Scotch like for my tastes. I like a smooth liquor, not one that makes me feel like I am chewing on peat.

(Apologies to all the Scotch drinkers out there, personal preference, don't @me)

I’ve only had the campfire once at a bar and it was great. I’ve made a similar blend before using cheap Islay (McClellands) and cheap bourbon like Beam or something. Better than either of them individually.

I'm guessing the bourbon trail has been discussed in this thread but no idea how to search within a thread. Heading there next Fri / Sat. Agenda is:

Thurs: Drive to Bardstown from NC
Fri: (1) Jim Beam tour; (2) Heaven Hill (quick stop and gift shop); (3) Willet tour, (4) Makers Mark Tour, head to Frankfort
Sat: (5) Wild Turkey tour; (6) either Willet or 4 Roses tour; bourbon hunting at liquor stores; (7) ghost tour at Buffalo Trace
Sun: back to NC

So, a lot of walking and driving.

Any restaurant recs for Bardstown or Frankfort?

Have we talked about glasses for drinking at home here yet?

I’ve tried two recently: Amazon links below.

Taylor'd Milestones Reserve Whiskey Glass

Glencairn Crystal Whiskey Glass

I usually drink bourbon and other whiskey neat or with some tiny bit of water added (1-3 drops).

Of these two, I’m happier with the second—just prefer the smaller size and feel. Both are good for swirling and concentrating the aroma.

Bourbon trail was awesome. If anyone does it will be happy to pass my notes about each stop. Favorites were Willet, Beam and Makers. Also did Four Roses, Wild Turkey, and Buffalo Trace (formally) and stopped in at Heaven Hill and Woodford.

Unrelated note for NC folks...does anyone recall seeing Little Book whiskey on the shelves recently? Looks like Bookers. Trying to locate a 2017 bottle before the 2018 hits NC shelves (at $100 versus 2017 at $80).

Last edited:
Back