• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

I've had the 15 and 20 year. The 15 was great, but there are plenty of other options just as good.

I thought the 20 year old was out of this world good. Either are worth it if you have the opportunity to pick a bottle up.

I've only had the regular Van Winkle 12 year. Did not like. Tasted like gas to me. At 107 proof, I can't imagine that the Pappy is much better.

Blanton's or Jack Single Barrel are much better for the $$ IMO.

Had a drink at Husk in Charleston made with it. It was superb. I would like to have a bottle of the 15 or 20 around. I am a joy when drinking brown booze.

PVW 20 and 23 are both the Holy grail of bourbon. Nothing compares. Seriously, they are that good. The younger batches don't really do it for me all that much.

Is it worth it? If your father in law gets you a bottle for Christmas as thanks for putting up with his daughter for another year, yes. If the money won't crimp your style too bad, then also yes, at least on occasion. Otherwise, keep it on your bucket list and drink Old Charter until the time comes. And as tip from a former bourbon snob, that's where the smart money goes for good-enough bourbon.

15 is great. 20 is phenomenal. 23 is obviously great as well, but the 20 is just as good and less expensive IMO.

I thought the 15 was good. I liked the 12 year special reserve. The 20 is really good. I have not tried the 23.

I still prefer Macallan 12 over each of them.

The 20 is the only bourbon to have ever received a perfect score from Bourbon Enthusiast and was ranked #1 Bourbon in the World by World Spirits - it is widely regarded as the finest bourbon ever made.

The 15 is excellent as well, however in both cases markups are skewing the value. The 15 should be $50 and the 20 should be $110, but with all the noise being made about them they are getting up to $100 and $200 respectively.

Good responses here so far. David Chang's new magazine, "Lucky Peach," has an article that talks about the selection process for Pappy Van Winkle. It's pretty interesting.

I like bourbon but am nowhere near the level of booze snob as I am a food snob, so I'm worried the awesomeness of the 20-year would be lost on me. I'd still like to try it someday.

Was just discussing this the other day with a wine snob who scoffed at the idea of a $110 bottle of bourbon.

At a 2 ounce pour being comparable to around a 6oz glass of wine, that bourbon is equal to a $35 bottle of wine roughly. It's not THAT outrageous, assuming you're not paying $40+ per glass at a bar...

Was just discussing this the other day with a wine snob who scoffed at the idea of a $110 bottle of bourbon.

At a 2 ounce pour being comparable to around a 6oz glass of wine, that bourbon is equal to a $35 bottle of wine roughly. It's not THAT outrageous, assuming you're not paying $40+ per glass at a bar...

what if your pour is more than 2 oz?

Back