• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Bourbon trail was awesome. If anyone does it will be happy to pass my notes about each stop. Favorites where Willet, Beam and Makers. Also did Four Roses, Wild Turkey, and Buffalo Trace (formally) and stopped in at Heaven Hill and Woodford.

Unrelated note for NC folks...does anyone recall seeing Little Book whiskey on the shelves recently? Looks like Bookers. Trying to locate a 2017 bottle before the 2018 hits NC shelves (at $100 versus 2017 at $80).

Glad you had a good trip! How did you like Woodford? That’s one I haven’t gotten around to visiting yet.

Glad you had a good trip! How did you like Woodford? That’s one I haven’t gotten around to visiting yet.

The grounds at Woodford were beautiful, and the drive to/from (used different routes) was probably the prettiest of all, which is saying a lot given how incredible that part of Kentucky is in general. But I am not a huge woodford guy, and going inside the main visitor facility just seemed....snooty. The average visitor was quite moneyed and the parking lot full of fancy cars. A much different vibe than any others. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just not my scene. We did not do the tour there.

Just curious why Beam was interesting. Was it because they have been doing like forever?

Two reasons - (1) the grounds / facility are impressive for the sheer volume of operations, and they have a very nice visitor's center. (2) The tour was in my opinion the best, with Makers a close second. They showed us every aspect of operations and was the only one to include bottling. A little gimmicky but you could pick out an empty knob creek bottle, watch it go through bottling, seal it in wax and put your thumbprint in the wax, then purchase the bottle (small mark up on retail). The bottle I got was 11 years aged. The tour also had a fresh barrel that he been bunged which they poured into a glass for everyone to sniff. So good. our tour guide was smart (and cute). Yes they are corporate and massive but it is really well done. Tasting was small pours but included Bookers and JB single barrel. And you get to keep the tasting glass (which was true at a few of them). I'd but put Beam, Willet, Buffalo Trace and Makers as the four "must do" tours. 4R will be good when their construction is done.

The worst tour - hands down - was Wild Turkey - very restricted and dull presentation, Tasting was okay at least.

Did you sample the 27 yo Willet's? :)

The husband of one of the Willet's daughters is Mayor of Bardstown.

Heading to Kentucky in a few weeks to run in the Bourbon Chase. Looking for recommendations on the best liquor stores to hit up. Seems Liquor Barns will be my best bet, but looking for any other recs.

Thanks!

Heading to Kentucky in a few weeks to run in the Bourbon Chase. Looking for recommendations on the best liquor stores to hit up. Seems Liquor Barns will be my best bet, but looking for any other recs.

Thanks!

Interesting fact - bourbon by the fifth or half gallon is cheaper in KY than NC, which makes sense; bourbon in minis or half-pints is more expensive, which doesn't make sense. I imagine it's hard to beat Liquor Barns for variety or price.

Thanks!

Probably Liquor Barns. Toddy’s in Bardstown used to be good, but prices skyrocketed. Which distilleries/towns are you headed to in Kentucky?

Probably Liquor Barns. Toddy’s in Bardstown used to be good, but prices skyrocketed. Which distilleries/towns are you headed to in Kentucky?

The relay race starts at Jim Beam and ends in downtown Louisville. It passes all or most of the distilleries that are on the Bourbon Trail with several serving as start/stop locations. I have 3 legs to "run" (12.1 total miles) in 36 hours. The total distance is 200 miles.

We are staying like 10 minutes from Jim Beam Thursday, October 11 and in downtown Louisville Saturday, October 13. The kick off party is downtown Louisville Thursday night and I planned to hit as many Liquor Barns as I could.

I think I went to Toddy's back in 2015 when my Dad and I went to the Bourbon Festival. It was just around the time EC12 moved the age statement to the back. They had the "old" bottles with 12 on the front priced $20 higher than the new label.

Why sell 6yo 100pf juice for $15 a fifth when you can age it a year or two longer, lower the proof to 94 and sell it as Elijah Craig for $30 a fifth?

d84b5093542eca6e627657e5eb93ef8b.jpg

Got into a few bottles tonight; the 4 Roses is fucking killer. It’s an OESV, 9.5 years, bottled at 112 proof picked by Jim Rutledge back in ‘15. Been sitting on it since then and decided to open it up tonight.

I see some Breckenridge, as well. It’s still a favorite of mine and the price has started to go down a bit out in Cali.

A friend of mine asked me what he should get for a bourbon lover as a gift in the $200-$300 range. I realized everything that I'd recommend in that range is nearly impossible to find.

What's readily available and worth buying in that price range these days?

Got my email from Total Wine that I am eligible to try and buy Pappy or the BTAC stuff this Friday at 10am (on-line). Here are the prices: Pappy 23 $360, Pappy 20 $200, Pappy 15 $130, VW Special Reserve 12 $100, ORVW 10 $90, and the BTAC stuff is $115. You can only buy one, and that is if you are fast/lucky enough to get any. Seems like the prices are a fair amount higher than last year, when I tried and failed on a Pappy 20 year. Leaning toward passing this year and spending my money on multiple, good, "regular" bottles. Or maybe just spend it on some decent scotch.

Got my email from Total Wine that I am eligible to try and buy Pappy or the BTAC stuff this Friday at 10am (on-line). Here are the prices: Pappy 23 $360, Pappy 20 $200, Pappy 15 $130, VW Special Reserve 12 $100, ORVW 10 $90, and the BTAC stuff is $115. You can only buy one, and that is if you are fast/lucky enough to get any. Seems like the prices are a fair amount higher than last year, when I tried and failed on a Pappy 20 year. Leaning toward passing this year and spending my money on multiple, good, "regular" bottles. Or maybe just spend it on some decent scotch.

I assume you're not in NC? How does this even work? Doesn't look like Total Wine can ship to NC anyways, so I assume we'd be out of luck.

A friend of mine asked me what he should get for a bourbon lover as a gift in the $200-$300 range. I realized everything that I'd recommend in that range is nearly impossible to find.

What's readily available and worth buying in that price range these days?

There's nothing in that price range that's readily available; that stuff all gets gobbled up instantly to flip / trade on the secondary market. For that amount of money, maybe go for a scotch or 3-4 bottles of bourbon.

Back