• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

anyone have any luck in the various county BTAC & other rare bourbon lotteries going on in NC? Morganton lottery was this morning. Couldn't see driving 3.5 hours though. Wake County had 2000+ entries in first 24 hours of its website going live.

anyone have any luck in the various county BTAC & other rare bourbon lotteries going on in NC? Morganton lottery was this morning. Couldn't see driving 3.5 hours though. Wake County had 2000+ entries in first 24 hours of its website going live.

Not this year. Got a bottle of the PHC last year.

haven't tried it myself..think they every they do is non-age stated. if so, I would pass at any price. Lot of hype around what I think is sourced whiskey.

Traded with an Old Forrester single barrel sample for this: Whistle Pig 10 year rye, single barrel coming in at 120. All dessert here; grassy rye, caramel, vanilla on the nose. Taste is caramel, vanilla, baking spices and rye; finish is long and hot with a bit of oak. Solid single barrel pick.

ac6495d7cc25ade94a2da25b9904bdd0.jpg

There is a nice documentary on Hulu called Neat, all about Bourbon. Fun watch just make sure you have a glass with you cause you will get thirsty real quick.

Well it’s that time of year again. Went with the Single Cask Whiskey advent calendar this year. First up is Whistlepig 10 year rye, 108.6pf. Haven’t had Whistlepig in a while. It’s got a pretty thick feel to it and a decent burn that lingers. I get mint and some spice, like cinnamon. And a decent amount of oak, but definitely not an oak bomb. It’s definitely a rye, but that overpowering rye-ness that kind of turned me off Whistlepig in the past isn’t there. This is actually quite good. I wonder if it’s the fact that it’s the cask strength version and not the typical 100pf, but I’ll give the store available version another look.

Baby Jesus Whiskey 2 - Dalmore 14 yr (2003) Single Cask, 115.6pf. A ton of pear and honey on the nose. Smells a lot like this pear brandy I have. Pretty light feel to it, but a lot of flavor. Some pear, lots of honey, only mildly spicy for being pretty high proof. No smoke. This is nice and different from most scotches I can think of. Worth a look.

Jesus Whiskey 3 is Jura 12 year 2006, 96.6pf. This is VERY light in color. Almost clear. I get some citrus and bread (?) on the nose. I don’t know if bread is right. Yeast? Is that a thing in whiskey? Whatever it is I don’t think I’ve come across it. Light texture. I get more citrus and more of that sweet bread thing. Lightly smoky. Don’t dislike it but I don’t know that I love it. I’ve definitely liked other Juras more.

Whiskey 4 is Heaven Hill 8 Year Revival (the Higginbottom), 127.0pf. This one packs a decent punch. Honey and some light oak and a fair amount of mint. And definitely heat. And maybe a little buttery. I like it quite a bit. It was a little too hot for my dad’s taste.

Whiskey 5 is Douglas Laing’s Provenance Caol Ila 8 year, 92pf. I can smell the peat immediately. Nothing but smoke on the nose. Doesn’t taste nearly as peaty as it smells, and actually has a quite a bit of honey and citrus. Maybe some chocolate at the end. This is quite lovely and i like it more with each sip. Ive generally liked Caol Ila as a safe bet at a nice bar if I’m looking for a decently priced good scotch. I’d defs drink this again.

Last edited:
Whiskey 6 is Cambus 24 year old 1993 North Star Spirits Single Grain Scotch, 105.4pf. This is aged in a PX sherry cask from a now defunct distillery. Can definitely smell and taste the sherry. I even maybe get some banana or some kind of fruit that is a little off. No smoke at all. Definitely a spiciness to it (not necessarily a burning heat, but a spicy numbing on my lips). And a nice quick sweetness. This is pretty different from a lot I’ve tasted. Not overly oaky for being 24 years in barrel, but I think it’s the sherry taking over. I think I like it as a change of pace from the deeper, darker bourbons I usually drink. I’m liking it more with each sip.

Doubling up tonight since I missed yesterday’s due to margaritas.

Jesus Whiskey 7 is Glenlossie 8 Year Old 2010 - Lady of the Glen (Hannah Whisky Merchants), 113.6pf. This is finished in port casks for 6 months. Smells very oaty. I get dried fruit (I guess from the port) and some honey. A decent burn, but not unreasonable. Almost no smoke at all. This is pretty good. I think I’d like to have more of it.

Whiskey 8 is Bunnahabhain 10 Year Old 2008 - Clan Denny (Douglas Laing), 96pf. This is as clear as water. No color at all. I don’t even understand how it’s possible with it being in oak for 10 years. It smells a little funky. This is citrusy and spicy and a lot more complex than the color would suggest. And there is a good amount of sweetness. I like the taste a lot more than the smell, and I think I like the taste enough to ignore the funky smell.

Whiskey 9 is Tomintoul 14 Year Old (Chorlton Whisky), 115.2pf. I really like this one. Lots going on with the nose and I taste a lot of fruit and a decent amount of sweet maltiness. There is a nice pleasant burn and nothing I don’t like about it. I will try find this one because I want more.

Jesus Whiskey 10 is Ragtime Rye Whiskey (British Bourbon Society bottling), 115.8pf. I like the smell of this one. Minty and clean, not overly woody or funky. I really like this. Definitely hot but there’s a lot of nice flavors. The rye definitely comes out, but since it’s only 72% rye the corn and barley round it out nicely. There’s also mint and fresh fruits. It reminds me of some of the high rye Four bottles I have. I know I’ve seen the regular proof bottle around, so I’m going to give it a try.

Whiskey 11 is Royal Brackla 11 Year Old 2006, 121.8pf. Can smell the fumes for sure, but it’s pretty flowery. I taste some orange and something like green pepper. It’s not tremendously complex but it’s certainly not bad. This might be better at a slightly lower proof since the alcohol, while not scorching, is definitely apparent.

Back