• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Let your friend know he needs to marry her and have you over a lot.
Otherwise... Buffalo Trace hos before bros?

Picked up a bottle of Hudson Baby Bourbon last week. Really interesting bourbon - 100% corn (not sure there are any others) but aged only a few months so it doesn't get too sweet. It's good stuff, very mellow, tastes better than a lot of 10+ year aged bourbons.

Pretty hard to find, but worth picking up if you're looking to try something new.

I assume you're with ArmyDeac (at least I think that's his login). He keeps taunting me with facebook photos and checkins at distilleries.

Bought bottles of Prichard's Double Barreled Bourbon and Hudson New York Whiskey (not the NY corn whiskey) last night and both were excellent.

I assume you're with ArmyDeac (at least I think that's his login). He keeps taunting me with facebook photos and checkins at distilleries.

Yeah, he's here for my bachelors party. We're on our 8th tour in 2 days, and having a blast. Heaven Hill is our last stop.

No, don't. Go enjoy your bachelor party and worry about pics when you get back.

Too lazy to look up the link, but you can also buy molds for handball sized ice spheres. I have a few. They melt, but much slower. I think I got mine on the MoMa website. They are cheap.

Picked up some of these at Makers Mark yesterday. $10, and I'm anxious to try them out. We did 7 distilleries in 2 days. Favorite tour by far was Makers. Got to stick my finger in and try the mash at all three days of fermentation.

Second favorite tour was Buffalo Trace, and I liked the look of Woodford. I'm bringing back a ton of bottles though.

Picked up some of these at Makers Mark yesterday. $10, and I'm anxious to try them out. We did 7 distilleries in 2 days. Favorite tour by far was Makers. Got to stick my finger in and try the mash at all three days of fermentation.

Second favorite tour was Buffalo Trace, and I liked the look of Woodford. I'm bringing back a ton of bottles though.

You liked them in the exact same order that I did:

Maker's, Buffalo Trace, Woodford.

Tsy, what were the logistics? I really want to do this with my brothers and I'm thinking maybe for my Dads birthday this year.

Tsy, what were the logistics? I really want to do this with my brothers and I'm thinking maybe for my Dads birthday this year.

I can offer advice too in addition to whatever tsy can share. My bourbon trail trip was the best trip/vacation I've taken.

I'll post more details once I get back to a computer, but we stayed in Lexington. We were right next to the University of Kentucky. You can also stay in Louisville. There are actual bus tours that'll drive you from place to place. We did 4 distilleries one day, and 3 the next.

I'll post more details once I get back to a computer, but we stayed in Lexington. We were right next to the University of Kentucky. You can also stay in Louisville. There are actual bus tours that'll drive you from place to place. We did 4 distilleries one day, and 3 the next.

TSY, I expect to see some epic pics that would make the grassy knoll tailgate proud.

Just a FYI... Maker's has gone up to where it's now more expensive than McKenna 10. I have a new standard for the home bar.

We did a tour on the first day that included in order: Woodford Reserve, Four Roses, Wild Turkey, and Buffalo Trace. It was nice to have everything coordinated, and have a shuttle to take us around. We didnt have to worry about a DD or anything. They also allowed us to drink beer in between stops, which for a bachelors party is always a plus. We had lunch at 4 Roses. They picked us up at 9am, and we finally got back to the hotel a little after 5pm.

The second day we drove out to Jim Beam, then Makers, then Heaven Hill. Makers is absolutely in the middle of nowhere. Our GPS took us through a little one lane road through a guys yard, but we made it without a problem.

If I had it to do differently, I'd probably go to Heaven Hill first. They have a Heritage of Bourbon museum with tons of pictures and artifacts that is a great place to learn about bourbon. Many of the distilleries have repetative tours, so after about the 3rd or 4th tour it gets kind of boring. If I had my way, they'd offer two types of tours. One that is an intro tour, and one I'd call a professional tour. The first would have all the details on the history of bourbon and whatnot, but the second would just give you the down and dirty on the differences between their distillery and the others. That way there wouldnt be so much repatition.

The tastings arent really enough to get you drunk, but they are nice. Its what they call a "2 second pour". They're very strict about making sure that you dont have more than one sample per day. I'd suggest doing the Bourbon Trail to anyone. We had a blast, and it was a great way for a group of guys to hang out, drink bourbon, and learn about the great liquor of Kentucky.

Back