• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Just opened a bottle of Old Weller 107 I’ve had for probably 5 or 6 years since before bourbon hunting started getting extra weird. Why not it’s Friday and I could lose my taste to Covid any day now. It’s good for sure but upon first tasting it’s not dramatically different than the wild turkey 101 I had just before this. Put a gun to my head, I’d say the WT was better today.

Now we’ll see if it changes as it gets more air or when I use proper glassware but this is a reminder that my one time “house” bourbon that I used to always have in a decanter is just that. Not a particularly special unicorn worth whatever the hell people pay for this now.

Not worth the new MSRP IMO and definitely not worth hunting it and paying over MSRP. I still have 3 of the bell shaped bottles and the last one I opened was still really good. I will say that WT101 is a sleeper also. I think it considered high rye, but for me it has a very sweet mouthfeel that I really like!

Tried Breckinridge for the first time the other night and it’s fine? I don’t know, I heard a lot of hype but it didn’t live up to that (or the price point).

I thought the first year or so that Breckenridge was released it was great, very unique character to it. Today's version seems like just your average decent slightly overpriced bourbon. Heard some conflicting reports from folks in the know as to why that is but they both agreed.

I had a friend bring me a bottle back from his travels to CO a few years ago. I thought it was pretty solid then, not stellar. Had some last Friday while recording a podcast in Charlotte and it was just OK. Wasn't terrible at all but just didn't stand out. We also poured it last after having some Maker's 46 and Jack Daniels Single Barrel so that probably did not help.

Not worth the new MSRP IMO and definitely not worth hunting it and paying over MSRP. I still have 3 of the bell shaped bottles and the last one I opened was still really good. I will say that WT101 is a sleeper also. I think it considered high rye, but for me it has a very sweet mouthfeel that I really like!

What is new MSRP? Yeah mine are the old shape too. Never even seen the new ones in a store.

Wild Turkey has a stigma I guess and their high end stuff ends up becoming shelf turds but 101 hits the mark. I agree, it’s just a pretty well balanced flavor to me with a good bit of oak. For as rarely as I have bourbon these days it’s pretty good to me.

I have recently pivoted to scotch fairly hard, partially because excellent bourbon is hard to come by where I live. I’ve been buying Lagavulin 16 but it’s a pricey habit. Any suggestions for a bit more economical scotch that packs the same flavor and value?

I have recently pivoted to scotch fairly hard, partially because excellent bourbon is hard to come by where I live. I’ve been buying Lagavulin 16 but it’s a pricey habit. Any suggestions for a bit more economical scotch that packs the same flavor and value?

Not sure how much that is or what the flavor is. I'm generally not a big scotch guy but Deanston 18 (I think the 12 is also good but quite reasonable) was very smooth and had great flavor.

Costco has some 22 yr old scotch they sell for $80 which seems pretty reasonable for something aged that long. Their other Kirkland liquor products have all been pretty money
Anyone tried it? I know their Kirkland vodka is grey goose.

Not sure how much that is or what the flavor is. I'm generally not a big scotch guy but Deanston 18 (I think the 12 is also good but quite reasonable) was very smooth and had great flavor.

Costco has some 22 yr old scotch they sell for $80 which seems pretty reasonable for something aged that long. Their other Kirkland liquor products have all been pretty money
Anyone tried it? I know their Kirkland vodka is grey goose.

I have some, and it is pretty good. I'm sure there are plenty of 22 years that are better, but they are also going to be at least double the price. I dare say there aren't many $80 or less bottles that are as good/better. I actually have bottles of their 18, 20, and 22 year old right now. It's amazing how much darker the 22 year old is - looks more like a bourbon/rye.

Townie, what I'll sometimes do is is create my own little peated blend. I use a bottle of Ardbeg 10 (around $50 where I am), and then mix a half ounce or so with maybe 2 ounces of non peated scotch. Something like the Kirkland 18 year works really well. Or maybe grab a $50 Speyside for the base. The addition of the Ardbeg gives it nice complexity without being over the top peaty. To me it comes out a lot better and richer than either of the $50 Scotches on their own.

FWIW Lagavulin is ~ $75 up here

Thanks for the recs

What is new MSRP? Yeah mine are the old shape too. Never even seen the new ones in a store.

Wild Turkey has a stigma I guess and their high end stuff ends up becoming shelf turds but 101 hits the mark. I agree, it’s just a pretty well balanced flavor to me with a good bit of oak. For as rarely as I have bourbon these days it’s pretty good to me.

Could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Buffalo Trace bumped the price up to or close to $40.

Could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Buffalo Trace bumped the price up to or close to $40.

Weller 107 is listed as $49.95 in the ABC system now. Think it just jumped another $10 recently. Interestingly they still have the handles listed at $41.95. Not that we will ever see a handle in NC.

Weller 107 is listed as $49.95 in the ABC system now. Think it just jumped another $10 recently. Interestingly they still have the handles listed at $41.95. Not that we will ever see a handle in NC.

Whoa! That's crazy and absolutely not worth it.

The private barrel selected by Rickhouse Ramblings was bottled yesterday. Should ship from VA to Raleigh ABC hub today or tomorrow. Hopefully we'll have it to the local store for distribution next week.

EcaSyDEXsAAP6TO

Glad to see this thread get a bump. Here are my recent acquisitions:
Laws Single Barrel (club pick)

Redwood Barrel finished (club picks - one port, one Chardonnay, MGP Bourbon)

WFP - single barrel, local store pick

0908dd6dfbf0e975dd6714ab4710cf94.jpg

Glad to see this thread get a bump. Here are my recent acquisitions:
Laws Single Barrel (club pick)

Redwood Barrel finished (club picks - one port, one Chardonnay, MGP Bourbon)

WFP - single barrel, local store pick

0908dd6dfbf0e975dd6714ab4710cf94.jpg

Nice haul!

My dad snagged me a bottle of barrel proof Elijah Craig recently from one of the Durham ABC stores and it checks in at a whopping 136 proof. Really flavorful though and not too fiery considering the alcohol content.

My dad snagged me a bottle of barrel proof Elijah Craig recently from one of the Durham ABC stores and it checks in at a whopping 136 proof. Really flavorful though and not too fiery considering the alcohol content.

Best bang for your buck bourbon out there right now.

My guy at my local store said he thinks Buffalo Trace may be discontinuing bottling in 1.75s.

Batch C919? That one is truly a top shelf. 136.8 proof. I finished one bottle and have another on the shelf. The new batch, B520 is getting incredible reviews similar to C919. Will probably be this fall before it shows in NC though.

I got a bottle of Rebel Yell Distiller's Choice from a whiskey bar in Raleigh today. The really interesting part - actually paid for and picked up the bottle at the bar. Didn't know that was even allowed in NC. It's a private barrel selection, just over 4 years old, 113 proof, $39.95. Oddly I can't find a single review or discussion of this Rebel Yell series anywhere on-line, including reddit.

Excited to try the Ragged Branch pick soon!

Back