• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

In honor of St Patty's Day I grabbed a bottle of Redbreast 12 yr cask strength. Slainte!! (no idea how to do the accent over the a thing on here)

Had a '92 Granddad BIB the other day that blew my mind. I'm lucky to have friends who love blowing money on bourbon (and sharing it).

I have been enjoying a bottle of High West Double Rye the past few weekends. If you like rye, I would recommend it. Around $30-$35 a bottle.

I've started trying the brown liquors ala Ron Swanson and have determined that I prefer scotch, rye and bourbon in that order. So far I've stayed in the moderately priced brands and like scotch and soda the best. What reasonably priced scotches do y'all like? I mean I can't see myself springing for Lagavulin despite my great appreciation for Ron Swanson.

While visiting a Deac friend in Lexington, he took me to the Willett's Distillery for a tour/tasting. After which, we were invited to the home of one of the Willett family for a cocktail or two and some stories. Their home is the perfect 1800's Kentucky mansion. Our hostess was the epitome of Southern charm. She wouldn't hear of us thanking her for inviting us and opening her home to us. She had to thank us for coming over.

She provided some nice bourbon from her well-stocked bar.

BTW, if you are totally insane, you can get a bottle of Willett's 14 year old bourbon for about $500/bottle or their 27 year old for about $4000/bottle. You'll need to call and reserve your bottle of 27 year old in advance.

I've started trying the brown liquors ala Ron Swanson and have determined that I prefer scotch, rye and bourbon in that order. So far I've stayed in the moderately priced brands and like scotch and soda the best. What reasonably priced scotches do y'all like? I mean I can't see myself springing for Lagavulin despite my great appreciation for Ron Swanson.

Have you tried any of the Japanese whiskies? They’re pretty easy to track down and it seems like you would dig them. Nikka Coffey is great, though the markup can be rough sometimes.

What’s your budget? Lagavulin isn’t so expensive, is it? I’ve seen it out here for $60, which strikes me as pretty reasonable for good scotch. Macallan 10-12 are classics and usually reasonably priced. Talisker, Oban, Dalmore 12, and Balvenie are great, too, in my experience, but usually more expensive.

Last edited:
Anyone going to the bourbon dinner at Spring House this Friday? I'm pretty excited about it.

Tomatin 12, Macallan 12 $60 and less. I can't remember what they are charging for Balvenie 12, but it's one of my favorites. I like Dalmore, the 12 is reasonable, the 15 is expensive but so so good. I am not a big fan of the scotches that have a lot of peat, there might be choices in the $30-$40 range there. Typically, I don't enjoy anything from the Isle of Islay.

Scotch has such a wide range of flavors, moreso than bourbon. I don't know a ton about scotch but a really good all around entry level I'd recommend is Balvenie Doublewood 12 yr. I've had the rest of the Balvenie line at a tasting before and it's all great, the Caribbean Cask in particular but that's getting towards $70 or so I think.

Other entry level single malts around $50 I've had lately are Glenfiddich 12 (light and fruity), Aberlour 12 (sweet), Ardbeg 10 (peat monster) and Laphroiag 10 (probably my favorite, also a peat monster). I'm a big peat fan though.

Kilchoman Machir Bay is a peaty Islay whiskey that has way better balance then Ardberg, Laguvilin or Laphroaig. Highly recommend.

Also Edradour 10 is one of my favorites that hasn't been mentioned.

Why don't you guys start a scotch thread? it would likely be a popular as this one.

Thanks 06, nomadic and Texas. I'll start opening the purse strings a bit more.

Heading to Kentucky next weekend to run a Tough Mudder at Speedway with some friends. We are staying in Louisville close to the river. Need some bourbon location suggestions for Friday night (tame) and Saturday night (not as tame). If I am going to do a tour I would like to do it Saturday afternoon, but I am probably too late to find anything. Don't want to venture south of town, want to stay close to the hotel in the downtown area.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:
A generous friend just gave me a bottle of Knob Creek 25th anniversary single barrel. Barreled date 2/25/2004.

I’ll report back when I try it.

Last edited:
Back