Page 258 of 260 FirstFirst ... 158208248253254255256257258259260 LastLast
Results 5,141 to 5,160 of 5185

Thread: Good bourbon

  1. #5141
    Steve Lepore TripleDeacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    High Point, NC
    Posts
    1,086
    Quote Originally Posted by WRS View Post
    Doing the bourbon trail mid-September for my brothers 30th birthday. Any recs?
    I really enjoyed the Maker's Mark tour. It's a surprisingly small operation and they really let you get close to the process. You don't get to taste anything particularly unique, but it's still good bourbon.

    Heaven Hill (I think it's called the Bourbon Heritage Center) isn't a particularly great tour, but the premium tasting - which wasn't that expensive at all - allowed you to sample some very pricey and very unavailable (at least here in NC) bourbons.

    Edited to add: Just went back and looked at some old photos and for like $25 at Heaven Hill we were able to taste Elijah Craig Single Barrel Aged 23 Years (retailed in the shop for $279.99 a fifth), William Heavenhill Small Batch Bottled-in-Bond ($129.99), Heaven Hill Select Stock ($149.99) and Larceny (which was somewhat new at the time).
    Last edited by TripleDeacon; 07-11-2019 at 03:56 PM.

  2. #5142
    Thanks for the input guys! It looks like we are going to do two tour days as follows:

    Makerís Mark
    Lux Row
    Barton 1792

    Woodford
    Buffalo Trace
    Stitzel-Weller

    The Friday that we are doing the first tour day is also the WF/UNC football game so substantial drinking will be required. Pretty pumped up for this trip!

  3. #5143
    To my fellow NC bourbon drinkers...if you drink enough bourbon to respect values...note that in NC we are blessed to get 7 year old, 101 proof Virgin Bourbon that (1) is made by Heaven Hill and (2) may or may not be the exact same stuff as another awesome value bourbon, Old Ezra 101 7 yr old which is sadly now RIP. But you can get Old Ezra barrel proof for $39.99! (sarcastic - the 101 at 40% of the price was better). Anyway the Virgin 101 7 yr is $13.95 for a fifth (glass) or $24.95 for a handle (plastic). AND the handle is $3 off this month - $21.95. One of the best steals in bourbon you will ever find. Why is this important? Because the 7 year age statement is done - new bottles coming in are NAS. So again, smoke em while you got em.

    Also, don't google 7 year old virgin unless you enjoy long talks with the FBI.

  4. #5144

    Good bourbon

    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Fence View Post
    To my fellow NC bourbon drinkers...if you drink enough bourbon to respect values...note that in NC we are blessed to get 7 year old, 101 proof Virgin Bourbon that (1) is made by Heaven Hill and (2) may or may not be the exact same stuff as another awesome value bourbon, Old Ezra 101 7 yr old which is sadly now RIP. But you can get Old Ezra barrel proof for $39.99! (sarcastic - the 101 at 40% of the price was better). Anyway the Virgin 101 7 yr is $13.95 for a fifth (glass) or $24.95 for a handle (plastic). AND the handle is $3 off this month - $21.95. One of the best steals in bourbon you will ever find. Why is this important? Because the 7 year age statement is done - new bottles coming in are NAS. So again, smoke em while you got em.

    Also, don't google 7 year old virgin unless you enjoy long talks with the FBI.
    Yep, great value and a great mixer. Not something to sip neat (IMO) but isnít bad over ice. Have definitely gone through some bottles over the years. Itís available in Alabama as well... not sure why they skipped over Georgia.
    Jack - Baylor 2002, lifelong Wake Fan

  5. #5145


    Just put together a care package for a friend:

    New Riff Single Barrel - 4 years, 1 month, 112 proof

    Old Forester SB - 90 proof

    Barrel Bourbon SB - 14 years, 99.04 proof

    Jack Daniels SB Barrel Proof - 130.9 proof

    Belle Meade Cask Strength - 125.8


    The JD is reeeeally good.

  6. #5146
    Quote Originally Posted by leftcoastdeac View Post


    Just put together a care package for a friend:

    New Riff Single Barrel - 4 years, 1 month, 112 proof

    Old Forester SB - 90 proof

    Barrel Bourbon SB - 14 years, 99.04 proof

    Jack Daniels SB Barrel Proof - 130.9 proof

    Belle Meade Cask Strength - 125.8


    The JD is reeeeally good.
    I like care packages. Iíll take the JD and New Riff.
    Jack - Baylor 2002, lifelong Wake Fan

  7. #5147
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Fence View Post
    To my fellow NC bourbon drinkers...if you drink enough bourbon to respect values...note that in NC we are blessed to get 7 year old, 101 proof Virgin Bourbon that (1) is made by Heaven Hill and (2) may or may not be the exact same stuff as another awesome value bourbon, Old Ezra 101 7 yr old which is sadly now RIP. But you can get Old Ezra barrel proof for $39.99! (sarcastic - the 101 at 40% of the price was better). Anyway the Virgin 101 7 yr is $13.95 for a fifth (glass) or $24.95 for a handle (plastic). AND the handle is $3 off this month - $21.95. One of the best steals in bourbon you will ever find. Why is this important? Because the 7 year age statement is done - new bottles coming in are NAS. So again, smoke em while you got em.

    Also, don't google 7 year old virgin unless you enjoy long talks with the FBI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bears and Deacs View Post
    Yep, great value and a great mixer. Not something to sip neat (IMO) but isnít bad over ice. Have definitely gone through some bottles over the years. Itís available in Alabama as well... not sure why they skipped over Georgia.
    My FIL gifted me a bottle a couple years ago. Lots of friends turn their nose up at it, but it is a pretty decent pour, especially for the price. Going to hit up the store this weekend to grab a few bottles.

  8. #5148
    Quote Originally Posted by deacfan78 View Post
    My FIL gifted me a bottle a couple years ago. Lots of friends turn their nose up at it, but it is a pretty decent pour, especially for the price. Going to hit up the store this weekend to grab a few bottles.
    Will I find this in upstate SC?

  9. #5149
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacWatcher View Post
    Will I find this in upstate SC?
    Not sure, but if you're interested in a bottle or two, let me know.

  10. #5150
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Fence View Post
    To my fellow NC bourbon drinkers...if you drink enough bourbon to respect values...note that in NC we are blessed to get 7 year old, 101 proof Virgin Bourbon that (1) is made by Heaven Hill and (2) may or may not be the exact same stuff as another awesome value bourbon, Old Ezra 101 7 yr old which is sadly now RIP. But you can get Old Ezra barrel proof for $39.99! (sarcastic - the 101 at 40% of the price was better). Anyway the Virgin 101 7 yr is $13.95 for a fifth (glass) or $24.95 for a handle (plastic). AND the handle is $3 off this month - $21.95. One of the best steals in bourbon you will ever find. Why is this important? Because the 7 year age statement is done - new bottles coming in are NAS. So again, smoke em while you got em.

    Also, don't google 7 year old virgin unless you enjoy long talks with the FBI.
    Confirmed by Fred Minnick on Twitter.

    https://twitter.com/FredMinnick/stat...92895419117573

  11. #5151
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    68,642
    Quote Originally Posted by deacfan78 View Post
    Not sure, but if you're interested in a bottle or two, let me know.
    When you have tried every bourbon that exists, then what?

  12. #5152
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    When you have tried every bourbon that exists, then what?
    Start over.

  13. #5153
    Steve Lepore
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    all around town
    Posts
    2,077
    I picked up a bottle of the 7 year old not saying the name bourbon. Will taste it this weekend.

  14. #5154
    Quote Originally Posted by tvcigar View Post
    I picked up a bottle of the 7 year old not saying the name bourbon. Will taste it this weekend.
    I got my case. For some reason I was thinking it would be a case of 6, but it was 12. Oh well. Have a few friends that are interested in a bottle or two.

  15. #5155
    I know there is a non-bourbon whiskey thread somewhere, but I canít find it on tappa...I spent the day here yesterday. Lagavulin is amazing whiskey.

    Birds are real.

  16. #5156
    ^^^^ Some of my favorite Scotch. I was there last year! Great place to visit.

  17. #5157
    Best shot of bourbon for least amount of dough?

    This is a tough one. Not a lot of good shots (if any) come out of a less than $20 bottle of bourbon.

    I would have to go with Evan Williams 10 year which can be had for $22 in some places. Really good but not perfect but for $22 what would one expect?

  18. #5158
    Pretty good column about bourbon hunting and taters...from the WSJ no less. May require a sub: https://www.wsj.com/articles/thirsty...=hp_lead_pos10

  19. #5159

  20. #5160
    Uh...so many of those ďlocalĒ whiskeys are sourced from MGP in Indiana or from one of the big Kentucky distillers. Then for Indiana they pick some gross moonshine? For Kentucky out of the thousands of bourbons there they pick Michters which is sourced as well, possibly not even from Kentucky.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •