• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Finally got hooked up with an active Bourbon group in Denver / Colorado. These guys are already on their second barrel pick this year, with at least 4 lined up for 2019.

Missed on a Belle Meade 12 year they did, but hoping I made the cut on a New Riff barrel proof (4 yrs old) coming out in February. Will be New Riff's first barrel pick in Colorado!

Pretty sure wfudkn or whatever his name was would get the premium whisky advent calendar from masters of malt.

Just checked their website and now it looks like they can't ship to the US anymore. That really sucks

They will not ship to the U.S. anymore. :( I don't know what the problem is. They say that they are trying to work things out. Master of Malt used to be a great place to get obscure Scotches.

Finally got hooked up with an active Bourbon group in Denver / Colorado. These guys are already on their second barrel pick this year, with at least 4 lined up for 2019.

Missed on a Belle Meade 12 year they did, but hoping I made the cut on a New Riff barrel proof (4 yrs old) coming out in February. Will be New Riff's first barrel pick in Colorado!

Nice...I am not part of a group officially, but there is NC group that does 4-5 barrels a year through an ABC store I am tight with and there are usually extras from each pick. Have had their picks of 1792 Full Proof, Russell's & Buffalo Trace so far; have passed on a Four Roses and a Knob Creek.

That Belle Meade 12 would have been fantastic I bet.

I’ve had a number of belle meade picks and by and large I’ve really liked them all.

Tonight’s Jesus whiskey 11 is Nikka 12 yr (86 pf). This is just an everyday solid whiskey. Honey and orange and vanilla. Fairly light. Super easy to drink.

Jesus whiskey 12 is Rock Oyster 18 yr blended scotch. (93.6pf). Never heard of this one, but I like trying things I don’t know. This has a nice light earthy peat to it, not a heavy smoke. Vanilla and maybe banana. And it’s a little salty. Honey on the finish, though it doesn’t last long. This is pretty good and I would defs drink again. I think it would make a unique gift since it’s not a super well known brand (at least I’ve never seen it).

Jesus whiskey lucky 13 is Cotswold Distillery Single Malt (92pf). Smell good enough, but it tastes more like grand mariner to me than scotch. Thick and syrupy with lots of orange peel and honey. No peat that I can taste. Don’t think I’ve ever had a scotch like it. Not sure I’d pay money for it.

Nice...I am not part of a group officially, but there is NC group that does 4-5 barrels a year through an ABC store I am tight with and there are usually extras from each pick. Have had their picks of 1792 Full Proof, Russell's & Buffalo Trace so far; have passed on a Four Roses and a Knob Creek.

That Belle Meade 12 would have been fantastic I bet.

I'm doing a Jefferson's pick with one of the ABC stores. Going up in March. Statesville just put out a Knob Creek Rye barrel pick. Buddy of mine said its almost sold out in about 36 hours.

Whiskey 14 is Glenfiddich 21 yr Gran Reserva (rum cask finish) (80pf). This is really really nice. Brown sugar and burnt orange peel. Maybe a little chocolatey. A ton of flavor and has a really long finish. Smooth as butter too. I would absolutely recommend this as a splurge buy to keep on the shelf ($200ish as far as I can tell).

Picked up my first bottle of Blanton's in over a year. A new ABC store opened and was able to snag a bottle. This will go in the secret stash for a while. Got to cherish the rarity of it.
590eea386ea22baa97c5edf8e775fbb2.jpg

I have to add, my last Blanton's was a barrel pick that was a hookup from an out of state friend. I'm anxious to taste the differences.

I'm doing a Jefferson's pick with one of the ABC stores. Going up in March. Statesville just put out a Knob Creek Rye barrel pick. Buddy of mine said its almost sold out in about 36 hours.

The group I get occasional bottles from did a KC single barrel rye. Now, I love rye, and have to say the KC Rye (100 proof, standard) is near the bottom for me in my rye rankings...but I had a sample of this and blew me away at 115 proof with their specific selection. Fortunately, just found out today that a buddy has a 2nd bottle of this on hold for which his wife will kill him if he brings it home so it will be mine soon.

That list is awesome.

I’m sure I’d be disappointed to read some of my previous posts on this thread in light of that.

Had the pleasure of tasting a mid-2000s William Heavenhill last night

Maybe the best bourbon I've ever tasted

Jesus whiskey 15 is Caol Ila 2004 (bottled 2016) Moscatel Cask Finish Distillers Rdition (86pf). Pretty heavy on the peat. A sugary sweetness on my lips. A bit cinnamony too. Some raisin from the moscatel. Interesting, but I’m not sure it’s my favorite.

Back