• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

After having little kids and moving farther away from the SC border stores my bourbon shopping/hunting is basically nonexistent. So since I no longer have the patience or ability, on my semi annual trips there I’m getting store single barrel picks and relying on the N.C. ABCs for standby BIBs like McKenna or EW white label that are guaranteed to be in stock. Ain’t nobody got time for this.

Store picks are where it's at; in Denver they're always pretty good / interesting. Getting hooked up with a local group has been a huge boon for me in terms of getting involved in private barrel picks. Pretty stoked to be chasing single barrels at cost instead of looking for unicorns these days.

What’s the best way to find a local group?

Talk to people when you shop; when you're drinking whisky at the bar, etc. I was talking bourbon in line at a concert and the guy in front of me told me about the group I'm currently in. I've run into others at the store in the bourbon aisle just by making small talk. You could also search online / on facebook to see if any groups pop up.

Had a couple of glasses of Parker Heritage 12 tonight, really good. Sounds like something that I won’t be able to find at my local liquor store though.

One of the private barrel picks from my local club. Great stuff!

0f05cc629f4c4e97eeaffa5b2ad34d7b.jpg

Picked up a bottle of Wilderness Trail while in Louisville this weekend. After doing more research, wish I had picked up a couple more.

wilderness-trail-bourbon-shot.jpg

Great trip to DC with the wife. Way too much good bourbon. Met up with some buddies (including wfudkn) for a couple of long nights of drinking!

870e668ea4d52671af91c4113820da46.jpg

Last edited:
Got back from Kentucky yesterday. The Maker's Mark Heritage Tour was a once in a lifetime experience for me. Bill Samuels himself gave a 3.5 hour tour and I learned so much about the family and history of bourbon overall. I have a much deeper appreciation for Maker's Mark now.
Dipped and took home two of my Ambassador bottles, as well as the private select cask strength of his personal 46 supply (at least he says he only makes two barrels of it a year, keeps most of it for himself, and was surprised there was any in the shop).

Looking for a Henry McKenna BIB with a "Barreled On" year of 06 or an Even Williams Single Barrel with a "Put in Oak" year of 06. Willing to trade or purchase.

I have friends hosting a “May the 4th be with you on Derby de Mayo” party for about 150-200 people. They are planning on making margaritas and mint juleps in bulk. They asked me for my recommendation for a “cheap, but good” bourbon to use in the juleps, given the amount they will need to make. Any suggestions from this group of connoisseurs? Very Old Barton was my first thought, but I have a feeling they may not be able to find it.

I have friends hosting a “May the 4th be with you on Derby de Mayo” party for about 150-200 people. They are planning on making margaritas and mint juleps in bulk. They asked me for my recommendation for a “cheap, but good” bourbon to use in the juleps, given the amount they will need to make. Any suggestions from this group of connoisseurs? Very Old Barton was my first thought, but I have a feeling they may not be able to find it.

Ancient Ancient Age. And tell everyone it's just less-aged Blanton's and they will nod their heads in approval.

Evan Williams bottled in bond (white label) which has enough proof to hold up when adding all that ice.

Edit: I see now that it is for 150-200 people, most of whom probably won’t care about the bourbon flavor. So in that case I’d get cheap handles of bourbon that actually state “straight bourbon whiskey” on them.

Last edited:

Can't go wrong with Makers Mark.

Back