• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Thanks for the reviews wfudkn. I really look forward to reading them every year and now think I will finally go in on a calendar next year.

I highly recommend it (obvi). And I like that my brother, dad and I each get the same boxes every year and have a daily group text to compare thoughts. It's keeps us in regular contact for the better part of a month, something we aren't all that great about the rest of the year.

Really enjoyed the writeups wfudkn. Sounds like we have a little different pallet in what we prefer (and yours is about 1000x more sophisticated than mine best I can tell) but I really enjoy the reviews every year.

My palate isn't really all that sophisticated. I don't normally put any thought into what I'm drinking, other than whether I like it or not. But I take this opportunity to try and think about them more since I'm not a daily scotch drinker and this helps me figure out what kinds I like and don't like. I search this thread a few times a year when I come across bottles in a store to see what I thought of the bottle or brand before I make a purchase.

Really enjoyed the writeups wfudkn. Sounds like we have a little different pallet in what we prefer (and yours is about 1000x more sophisticated than mine best I can tell) but I really enjoy the reviews every year.

Anyone have any luck hunting for bourbon this year? I thought I was going to strike out this season until a tip on Christmas Eve from a buddy allowed me to find a bottle of Michters 10 year and an EH Taylor Single Barrel on the shelf at the ABC store back home at my parents house. Small town and only a few people know what the heck to even be looking for. Add those two to the bottle of Blantons I got in Raleigh a few weeks ago and it's been a solid haul. Michters was great, haven't gotten into the EH Taylor yet but looking forward to it.

The Colonel won’t let you down.

My little brother has a friend who works at a liquor store in Florida and hooked him up getting to the top of the Van Winkle list for my Christmas present. Little bro definitely won Christmas this year.

2kput3.jpg

Ran into some great bottles yesterday poking around random liquor stores but no reasonable prices

Found Stagg and Handy Sazerac on the shelf, but the store wanted $600 for both (not bad compared to secondary but still crazy imo), actual dusty bottles of rock hill farms for $150, Weller 12 for $200

Didnt pull the trigger on any of these but nice to see them on a shelf at least

My little brother has a friend who works at a liquor store in Florida and hooked him up getting to the top of the Van Winkle list for my Christmas present. Little bro definitely won Christmas this year.

2kput3.jpg
Nice, I had a bottle of lot b at my wedding! It didn't make through the night

Nice, I had a bottle of lot b at my wedding! It didn't make through the night

And not because he was generously sharing with guests...

My wife’s aunt got me Woodford Reserve Double Oaked for Christmas and it is trash.

I was watching a segment on UNCTV last night and they mention a place called Southern Distilling in Statesville. It looks like a pretty cool place and sells is liquors under the Southern Star label. I don't remember seeing them down here in SC but was curious if anyone knew anything about it.

www.southerndistillingcompany.com

I was watching a segment on UNCTV last night and they mention a place called Southern Distilling in Statesville. It looks like a pretty cool place and sells is liquors under the Southern Star label. I don't remember seeing them down here in SC but was curious if anyone knew anything about it.

Yeah, I've seen their bourbon in the stores. I think it retails around $55, which for me is high for an unknown product. A guy I know has/had a bottle and liked it but he was more of a Scotch guy. I should probably visit the distillery and see if they offer samples.

Yeah, I've seen their bourbon in the stores. I think it retails around $55, which for me is high for an unknown product. A guy I know has/had a bottle and liked it but he was more of a Scotch guy. I should probably visit the distillery and see if they offer samples.

Seems like a weird business model that is hoping to ride the wave of hype surrounding bourbon at the moment. I'll be interested in hearing y'all's reviews.

Me too. There is no substitute for time in the barrel.

I can get Evan Williams white label for $15 a liter vs $50 aged in sawdust for 6 months stuff that might blind me. Tough call.

I think the stuff these guys are selling now is legit bourbon sourced from MGP. But at the price they want for it, you can find cheaper MGP product on the shelves. At least their model (buying legitimately quality barrels then bottling it themselves) is better than "craft" distilleries that make their own but try selling it after 1.8 years in the barrel and claim it tastes wonderful. Southern opened in 2013 I think; if they in fact stuff barreled some stuff back then they should be on the verge of bringing out some decent bottles of their own.

My local group just dropped another private selection; actually two. They made 2 picks from Barrell Bourbon - both 14 years old, one coming in at 95 proof and the second at 99 proof. I picked the higher proof bottle; should be taking delivery on this one by the end of the month / beginning of february. So stoked to be back in the bourbon game.

Back