• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

captruss24

Did I mention I'm a South Carolina fan? You know,
Reaction score
Need some recommendations from The Pit bourbon drinkers. Had my first taste of Knob Creek over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. For years I either turned my nose up to bourbon or mixed it. Now I'm looking for a premium sippin' bourbon to pair well with a medium bodied cigar for afternoon drinks. Not a big fan of rye whiskey either. And here's the catch (b/c there's always a catch)....not looking to spend more than $30-40/L. I really want to try Makers Mark 46!!!

Here are my quick thoughts on this. Just remember that prices can vary depending on market and taste is subjective.

Under $20
*Rittenhouse BIB (rye whiskey - 100pf)
*Weller Special Reserve (wheated bourbon - 90pf)
Very Old Barton BIB (rye bourbon - 100pf - limited distribution of the BIB version)

$20 - $30
*Old Weller Antique (wheated bourbon - 107pf)
Weller 12 (wheated bourbon - 90pf - 12 years)
Four Roses Small Batch (rye bourbon)
*Buffalo Trace (rye bourbon)
Elijah Craig 12 (rye bourbon - 12 years) - I'm not a huge fan of this one, but many people consider it to be very good
Elmer T. Lee (rye bourbon)
*Old Grand Dad 114 (rye bourbon - 114 pf) - the only Beam product worth buying, in my opinion...I've had some decent Bookers, but that's also a higher price point.
Sazerac (rye whiskey)

$30 - $50
Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107 (wheated bourbon - good if you can find it...usually overpriced)
Rock Hill Farms (rye bourbon - 100pf) - I enjoy this one, but it can vary, since it's a single barrel. Also a little expensive for what you get.
Wild Turkey Rare Breed (rye bourbon)
*Four Roses Single Barrel (rye bourbon - OBSV recipe)

$50+
- all of these are limited or yearly releases
*Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch (rye bourbon) - usually excellent.
*Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye (rye whiskey) - hard to find but very good...the only Van Winkle that I would actually look for
*Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (George T. Stagg, William Larue Weller, Sazerac 18, Eagle Rare 17, Thomas H. Handy) - the only one that I look for is the William Larue Weller. Second and third choice are Stagg and Saz 18. Handy is good, but overpriced for youngish rye whiskey.
*Parker Heritage Collection - I didn't find this years to be particularly good, but some people have said it's one of their favorite whiskeys of all time. Even though I didn't like it, this is a top class yearly release.

I'm sure there are others that I am forgetting.

Off the top of my head (that I have tried):

Lower - Elijah Craig 12 year, Buffalo Trace, Bulleit, Makers
Middle - Blantons, Michters, Bookers, Basil Hayden's, Van Winkle Family Reserve 12 year, Pappy Van Winkle 15
Top - Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year (Highest rated bourbon in the world), Jefferson Presidential Select, PVW 23

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a good place to mention that I just got some whisky stones... they're awesome

Also - michter's 8 year

I mostly drink Maker's but two other good one's that are good sipping bourbons are Bulleit and Blanton's.

Without exceeding the price range mentioned?

Eagle Rare or Blanton's if you can get a deal on it are probably the best.

Good tag. I was just reading over one of the 10 prior bourbon threads the other day. Bought a bottle of Bulleit based on the recommendations there. I'm liking it much more than the Elijah Craig 18 yr and Knob Creek I had previously bought.

Anyone going to be at Beer, Bourbon, BBQ at Natl Harbor on Saturday?

Good tag. I was just reading over one of the 10 prior bourbon threads the other day. Bought a bottle of Bulleit based on the recommendations there. I'm liking it much more than the Elijah Craig 18 yr and Knob Creek I had previously bought.

Anyone going to be at Beer, Bourbon, BBQ at Natl Harbor on Saturday?

Had a bottle of Bulleit two years ago for the Derby. Loved it.

Bulleit was my senior fifth. More of a scotch guy now, but still buy/drink cheaper bourbons.

Blanton's is the bomb diggity. I know at least a few liquor stores where you can get it for around $45 if you pay cash.

tell me about whisky stones, friend

Deaccav covered it... but they don't get as cold or chill your drink as much as ice. So its somewhere between neat and with ice, which I think really opens up the taste for sipping. Plus you feel like a real man drinking bourbon that has freakin rocks in it, like drinking gasoline with ice in terms of manliness imo.

Too lazy to look up the link, but you can also buy molds for handball sized ice spheres. I have a few. They melt, but much slower. I think I got mine on the MoMa website. They are cheap.

these whiskey stones sound tiggity. posrep to you buddy.

I've wanted whiskey stones but never pulled the trigger. Now I might have to

Currently going through a Bourbon phase. Knob Creek is definitely at the top of my list. Also enjoying Buffalo Trace, Blanton's and Basil Hayden's.

I also should add that the other night I was out and asked the bartender to suggest a bourbon that I'd never tried. He suggested Old Fitzgerald. It's a really nice bourbon with a smooth finish, but unfortunately I can't find it in any local stores.

Last edited:
Are there any kitchen or specialty stores in the Triad that carry whiskey stones?

One quick disclaimer on whisky stones... they won't make your drink cold, they just chill it slightly so its a little cooler than room temp/neat. Sometimes people expect them to be ice cubes that don't melt, but they don't get that cold.

Back