• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

A friend of mine got his hands on a bottle of Jack Daniels Sinatra Century. He is looking to sell it (not a bourbon guy). Too pricey for my blood but figured I would see if anyone here wanted to buy? Not sure his final price but I have seen it go for around $500.

Apparently the packaging weighs about 20 lbs so would have to figure out delivery (it’s in Atlanta right now) but PM me if you have interest.

Also, just picked up a bottle of Hudson Baby Bourbon. Have heard it is pretty solid but haven’t tasted it yet. Anyone have thoughts on it?

I really like Hudson Baby Bourbon. I had it for the first time at a bar in NYC. It's a little different than most bourbons, as I believe it is 100% corn. So it will take a few sips to get use to the slightly different whisky taste, but it's a really solid bottle.

I really like Hudson Baby Bourbon. I had it for the first time at a bar in NYC. It's a little different than most bourbons, as I believe it is 100% corn. So it will take a few sips to get use to the slightly different whisky taste, but it's a really solid bottle.

100% corn means its not a bourbon! :couch:

I had a very small pour last year and liked it OK from what I remember, but not enough to pick up a bottle.

100% corn means its not a bourbon! :couch:

I had a very small pour last year and liked it OK from what I remember, but not enough to pick up a bottle.

I don't think that's true - bourbon has to be 51% corn, but there's no definition on the upper limit of corn in the mashbill.

I don't think that's true - bourbon has to be 51% corn, but there's no definition on the upper limit of corn in the mashbill.

Yep, I think you're right. I don't know what I was thinking. :wtftard:

"By law, 51% of a bourbon’s mash bill has to be corn. However, the other 49% is down for experimentation. Still, there’s something very unique about 100% corn bourbon. It will often have a sweet, caramel packed nose and a bright gold color. All-corn bourbon makes for easy sipping, so if you’d like to try bourbon straight, this is a good option because it won’t frazzle your palate. Hudson Baby Bourbon is a widely available brand."

Last edited:
I had a glass of black maple hill rye tonight. It might be the worst glass I have tasted. I can’t even figure out what it tastes like. I think they made it with tide pods.

I had a glass of black maple hill rye tonight. It might be the worst glass I have tasted. I can’t even figure out what it tastes like. I think they made it with tide pods.

So true. The current BMH is absolute trash.

Found some Stagg, JR. at a normal price recently and have been enjoying that. Most of the time it’s marked up pretty high down here in GA.

I have some of the original BMH bourbon in the ole bunker though. That stuff is awesome. Used to just sit on the shelf at Total Wine.

I may have posted something about this on here before but can't remember. I went to school with the two great grandsons and they have re-established the Old Nick Williams name and are contract distilling through Foothills Distillery. They have applied for their permits and planning on setting up a new distillery at the original location in Forsyth County.

http://pre-prowhiskeymen.blogspot.com/2013/10/this-whiskey-man-had-old-nick-in-him_4.html

I picked up a bottle as a gift for my brother. I am not a fan of white liquor myself, so I can't comment on if it was good or not but I did have small pour of it last night. They are planning on a bourbon at some point.

http://www.oldnickwhiskey.com/

Has anyone tried the bourbon from the Old Nick Distillery in Lewisville, NC yet?

We visited this place today at the end of a winery exploration day.

Well worth a visit if you have any interest in local history, the history of whiskey making, modern challenges of same, etc.

And the clear whiskey (they seem to prefer to not call it moonshine) and bourbon are both very good.

OK, I’m amending this. When tasting at the distillery following an extensive and informative tour, the products tasted indeed “very good “. After doing a bit of direct comparison tasting, I’ll say the bourbon is...interesting. Definitely the place is worth a visit (take your time and do the tour) and the whiskey worth a try.

Last edited:
So true. The current BMH is absolute trash.

Found some Stagg, JR. at a normal price recently and have been enjoying that. Most of the time it’s marked up pretty high down here in GA.

My BIL brought over a bottle of Stagg, Jr for Christmas. That stuff was packing some serious heat! Adding an ice cube really opened the flavors up.

What's the consensus preferred type of ice for you guys? I have a silicone mold that makes the huge cubes, and my sister got me one of the globe molds (a really easy one) for Christmas. Think I like the globes the best.

Occasionally, I'll just go with crushed from the fridge if I want a little more water for whatever reason.

What's the consensus preferred type of ice for you guys? I have a silicone mold that makes the huge cubes, and my sister got me one of the globe molds (a really easy one) for Christmas. Think I like the globes the best.

Occasionally, I'll just go with crushed from the fridge if I want a little more water for whatever reason.

I use this

https://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-King-Cube-Ice-Tray/dp/B00395FHRO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1518468346&sr=8-8&keywords=giant+ice+cube+trays

Yeah, that's what I have as well. I've found that the globes melt even slower, which is nice when in the mood for lengthy sipping.

Also have some whiskey stones, but really do not like.

I have a couple globes and I like them too. I just forget to put water back in them, which tends to happen after a few pours.

Good news - picked up some Weller Special Reserve on my annual trip to south Texas
Bad news - thought I grabbed a bottle of Weller 12 Year instead because I was running low....oops

Should've bought both in retrospect!

Tonight's flight after a tough work week: Elmer, McKenna BIB and a Terrepure product. Guess which of the three sucked.

ETA: Terrepure was a gift, I can't bring myself to dump it though.

My buddy picked me up a bottle of the Elijah Craig Small Batch Barrel Proof for me yesterday. By some magazine I saw they called it one of the "Whiskey's of the Year." Looks like it's 131 Proof..... Looking forward to get my hands on it this weekend with the Fiance out on her bachelorette party. Sounds like it's hot.... Anyone had a taste of that?

My buddy picked me up a bottle of the Elijah Craig Small Batch Barrel Proof for me yesterday. By some magazine I saw they called it one of the "Whiskey's of the Year." Looks like it's 131 Proof..... Looking forward to get my hands on it this weekend with the Fiance out on her bachelorette party. Sounds like it's hot.... Anyone had a taste of that?

You have the C Batch from 2017; I think B was the whiskey of the year but could be mistaken. I have the B but have not yet cracked it open.

https://modernthirst.com/2017/05/11/elijah-craig-barrel-proof-guide-releases-batches/

Back