• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Makers is absolutely in the middle of nowhere. Our GPS took us through a little one lane road through a guys yard, but we made it without a problem.

When we went, the tour guide joked about all the people who got lost on their way there using a GPS.

If I had it to do differently, I'd probably go to Heaven Hill first. They have a Heritage of Bourbon museum with tons of pictures and artifacts that is a great place to learn about bourbon.

Definitely agree. Heaven Hill is a great place to start (that's where we started unknowingly).

My comments above.

What's the batch number so we don't buy that one? We know where your finger has probably been.

Just avoid all Makers Mark 8 years from now. We stuck our fingers in 3 or 4 different fermenting vats. Woodford wouldnt even let us lean over and smell for fear of passing out from all the carbon dioxide, which made Makers Mark even more special.

My comments above.

The guy at Beam warned us of that as well, but we didnt have an problems honestly. I was concerned that we'd break down and hear dueling banjos, but we didnt have a problem at all. The road was small and winding, but it dumped us out right there at it.

tsy, did you join the Maker's "Ambassador's" program?

What is an Ambassador?

You've no doubt discovered that introducing Maker's Mark to your friends is one of life's easier endeavors. Especially when they taste such a smooth, handcrafted bourbon for themselves. (Not exactly like selling air conditioning at the North Pole, is it?)

Still, we feel that it's proper to make it clear exactly what's expected of a Maker's Mark Ambassador. After all, we shouldn't just go running around making stuff up about Maker's Mark when the truth is so much more tasteful. So here you go. Call it the official Ambassador mandate, missing duty. Just don't call it a job - because this is too easy to be considered work.

If you're sharing the Maker's Mark experience with others, we feel you should be rewarded. So we're personally offering you the opportunity to become an Ambassador. In return, you'll enjoy all the privileges that go along with carrying out such a noble and dignified deed.

You'll get your name in Maker's Mark history, plus:

+ Your name on a Maker's Mark barrel.
+ An opportunity to purchase a bottle of Maker's Mark from your batch.
+ Updates on the aging of your bourbon.
+ Advanced notice of rare, special-release bottles.
+ Opportunity to purchase Ambassadors-only Maker's Mark merchandise.
+ Many other items that confirm your honorable status.

I didnt sign up for it while I was up there, but the Mrs and I are going to this week. A few of the guys in the group did, and one of the other gentlemen on the trip was a part of the program previously. The tour guide gave him some sort of pin/medallion for being a member.

I didnt sign up for it while I was up there, but the Mrs and I are going to this week. A few of the guys in the group did, and one of the other gentlemen on the trip was a part of the program previously. The tour guide gave him some sort of pin/medallion for being a member.

Yea, I signed up when I visited. 3 more years and "my batch" will be ready. I've enjoyed being a part of the program.

As much as I love my bros, if I'm going to go back it'll most likely be with her. IMO it made more sense to have us go in together. They all signed up there at the distillery though.

Signed up for the ambassadors program last night. Also stopped by the ABC store to pick up some Elijah Craig 18 Year. I was quite pleased with the selection. Many of the bourbons I thought werent in NC I found on the shelf, at prices cheaper than the liquor stores in KY.

Signed up for the ambassadors program last night. Also stopped by the ABC store to pick up some Elijah Craig 18 Year. I was quite pleased with the selection. Many of the bourbons I thought werent in NC I found on the shelf, at prices cheaper than the liquor stores in KY.

Very cool. I think you'll really like being a "member." I agree with you that when I came back from the trail I saw lots of bourbons in our ABC stores that I hadn't really ever noticed before.

What amazed me was the price. Our ABC store was a good 5-10% less than the stores in KY. Apparently KY taxes the crap out of their liquors, because so many people come there to get the bourbon. At Heaven Hills, the guide said 60% of the cost of the bourbon in KY is due to taxes. Blew my mind.

We were at a steakhouse last night and they had 15 year old pappy. Good stuff. They also had 162 different bottles of scotch. I was impressed.

Maker Mark Ambassador program is the shit. I dont get a single spam email or any bullshit from them all year, and then every year at Christmas they send some Makers Mark themed gift. This year it was ice trays that make big round baseball sized balls of ice with the Makers logo in them. Love it.

Drinking some James E Pepper bourbon tonight. VERY smooth. Almost no bite. Good, but not worth the price I paid.

Back