• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Astronomy Thread I: Dark Matter, Dark Energy and Dark Flow

Which do you think is more strange?

• Total voters
Dark matter has always made me realize how little we know about astronomy and often times makes me think a lot of our current "knowledge" is way off and people will mock us in the future.

Dark matter has always made me realize how little we know about astronomy and often times makes me think a lot of our current "knowledge" is way off and people will mock us in the future.

We have a better idea of what dark matter may be than dark energy. But you're right, I would absolutely kill to be able to live 200+ years, just to be able to see what type of advances we'll see in cosmology and space-travel.

We have a better idea of what dark matter may be than dark energy. But you're right, I would absolutely kill to be able to live 200+ years, just to be able to see what type of advances we'll see in cosmology and space-travel.

Just stick with OGD. He's going to live forever.

The obvious answer is doofus. He's stranger than a Carowhina fan who thinks they have committed a foul.

This (big time) OP goes to prove we truly don't know shit from shinola about what, where, or who we are.

Ehhhh, these are puzzling topics, but I think it says a great deal about human ingenuity and resolve that we even have any idea what this stuff may be.

I am very confident that these things will be solved in the next 20 years.

Ha! Have you heard about the recent education spending cuts? We're going to start using mythologhy and constallations to understand the heavens again soon enough.

Ha! Have you heard about the recent education spending cuts? We're going to start using mythologhy and constallations to understand the heavens again soon enough.

Thats what I'm afraid of. Hopefully our generation will get it done..

Ehhhh, these are puzzling topics, but I think it says a great deal about human ingenuity and resolve that we even have any idea what this stuff may be.

I am very confident that these things will be solved in the next 20 years.

I'm kinda between the two of you.

If TW ever wants to propose....

"Astronomers have spotted an exotic planet that seems to be made of diamond...."

I believe this is more common than you'd think.

The densities of some of these stars are incredible and it creates enormous pressures. It would probably be hard for one of these largely carbon based stars to not create diamonds.

If we transported you to a white dwarf or some other small, super dense object, and put you on the surface, you're molecules would be crushed and spread out across the planet in a thin paste.

Crazy to think about.

That Through the wormhole you mentioned with dark flow and the multiverse theories was great, I wish I had recorded it because I am starting to forget some of it.

That Through the wormhole you mentioned with dark flow and the multiverse theories was great, I wish I had recorded it because I am starting to forget some of it.

It really was. Through the wormhole is one of the best shows of the last decade IMO.

Funny that you bumped this thread. I find that the amount of time I spend on a thread is inversely proportional to how popular it is :laugh:

Hey TW, sorry for being late to the party. The neutrinos you say come from our sun. Is that any star or just our sun? It seems to me that coming from our sun and "supplying" enough nutrinos for the universe is a little bit of a stretch. Unless it is unique to our galaxy?

Hey TW, sorry for being late to the party. The neutrinos you say come from our sun. Is that any star or just our sun? It seems to me that coming from our sun and "supplying" enough nutrinos for the universe is a little bit of a stretch. Unless it is unique to our galaxy?

Neutrinos are a by-product of radioactive decay. So to answer your question, they are not unique to our Sun and are quite prevalent in the universe.

We even create them here on Earth in our nuclear reactors.

Funny that you bumped this thread. I find that the amount of time I spend on a thread is inversely proportional to how popular it is :laugh:

Well, I love the nerdy threads! :thumbsup:

Is there any possibility of actually harnessing energy for our purposes from dark matter/dark energy? This probably isn't a very well worded question, but it seems to be reasonable that if there is so much of it all around us and influencing all the normal particles/matter/whatever it could be tapped into...?

Back