• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The official LOL Harry Giles thread

I didn't see the duke-uva game but, according to my wife, the announcers were going on and on about how awesome Giles looked and how he was back to the Giles they had been waiting to see. Then I looked at the box score and he had like 5 points...? Typical dookie boost...

Coach K is such a dick. This kid should have been kept out this year, given a medical redshirt, and re booted his future starting this summer. He then regains confidence in his knees, gets his head right, has a tremendous year and goes pro. But no. Coach K and his fucking games with young kids.

In hindsight, Giles should have sat out this year and entered the draft. He would have been viewed as an potential Embiid level prospect who had already sat out for three years to get healthy.

LOL. What a dumbass.

I want to see the handshake between Danny and Harry tomorrow. Wonder if anything will be said, or if Danny stopped trying to give him advice already.

I find it absolutely hilarious what has happened to him ONLY because how he has treated Wake. Not only did he become obnoxious when he came to visit Winston after doing nothing to contribute for his team, but he still thinks he is above Wake.

I can only imagine the numbers he would be putting up alongside a true post player like Collins, and what would have been if he had been given proper advice on his knees from someone that has been there.

All these IF's that we will never know, all I know for sure is how shitty a big man coach Capel actually is. Gonna be impossible for them to recruit actual big men in the future IMO.

Go Deacs!

I feel for this kid actually. I do think he made the wrong choice for his own happiness. He sounds miserable, but if he doesn't reinjure his knees before he is drafted, he probably made the right choice for his pro career.

Just think if he was at Wake this year playing behind Dinos and somehow able to put up more miserable defensive numbers than Dinos. He'd have nowhere to hide. At Duke, there are 8 McD AA playing in front of him essentially, and he is playing ahead of quality guys (who have woefully underachieved or just been buried on the bench). I've watched him go defensively, and he's horrible. Not only is he a liability mobility-wise, but he is terrible at positioning. Maybe Danny could fix this, but holy cow.

I really hope this is all about the injuries and he miraculously turns into a double double machine next year playing adequate to good defense, but I have a real hard time imagining that happening. I hope Jay Williams is tutoring him on how to use his hands while talking to the television.

anyone else read that and think "k is spinning this as giles' fault so it does not hurt him on the recruiting trail"

Coach K is such a dick. This kid should have been kept out this year, given a medical redshirt, and re booted his future starting this summer. He then regains confidence in his knees, gets his head right, has a tremendous year and goes pro. But no. Coach K and his fucking games with young kids.

None of this was up to Coach K. The kid wanted to play this season and needed to play to show he was healthy enough to be drafted by the NBA. There is a lot of the family involved in this one and doing what is in their minds best for the young man and his future--right or wrong. When he has his breakout game, which he is soon to do--like 20 points & 10 rebounds against somebody--he will have the confidence again in his game and more importantly his knee to really take off.

None of this was up to Coach K. The kid wanted to play this season and needed to play to show he was healthy enough to be drafted by the NBA. There is a lot of the family involved in this one and doing what is in their minds best for the young man and his future--right or wrong. When he has his breakout game, which he is soon to do--like 20 points & 10 rebounds against somebody--he will have the confidence again in his game and more importantly his knee to really take off.

One guess as to who that somebody will be, and when.

Only chance of having a breakout for him is against wake, and that is because it is the only time he will actually be able to use his emotion to his advantage. Anyone who has watched him this year can tell that he is not physically ready to compete, not even close to the level he was at the summer before he reinjured his knew before his senior year. Its almost two entirely different players...

Only chance of having a breakout for him is against wake, and that is because it is the only time he will actually be able to use his emotion to his advantage. Anyone who has watched him this year can tell that he is not physically ready to compete, not even close to the level he was at the summer before he reinjured his knew before his senior year. Its almost two entirely different players...

I thought it was in the first game of his senior year at Oak Hill.

"None of this was up to Coach K". Really? So if you want playing time under Ratface you just tell him you're playing. I always wondered how he decided on his lineups.

This is kind of fascinating to think about...Duke's deep talent pool probably means there is a lot of competition not just for playing-time, but also player-development. If you have a probable one-and-done who requires considerable time and effort to bring his game to the level required for meaningful contribution to the team's season on a team with other solid players who can either contribute as role-players (defense, free-throws, 3-point shooting), or have time to be groomed for next year contributors, you simply can't go all-in on the one-and-done. I believe that K makes an honest effort with his players, but that effort is optimized for getting the best result for Duke's current season first, future seasons second, and individual players 3rd. Every program has no choice but to put their energy into projects that will get them the closest they can get to the final-four in the fastest way possible. For wake, that's a multi-year plan anchored around a couple of stand-out players, either recruited or made, whatever it takes. For Duke it's a portfolio optimization, and some players simply become disposable.

Does anyone here think Collins would be considered a 1st-team All-ACC and likely first-rounder if he were on a team that not only had more competition for playing-time but also player-development?

I was thinking that Harry going to Duke could turn out to be a great recruiting tool for DM. Look what K did with a consensus 5 Star recruit and what DM did with Collins.

Well there was that injury thing

Back