• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The official LOL Harry Giles thread

I truly don't understand the sentiment of hoping he has a great NBA career. Do you hope Allen and Kennard have great NBA careers? Giles is a Dukie and worse, a Dukie player who scorned WFU. I don't wish him harm, but I certainly don't wish him any better NBA career than any other former Duke basketball player. Do you root for JJ?

I basically like to see white guys in the NFL and NBA to do well; same for black guys in MLB, PGA, etc..

I would love to know what goes through Giles' mind as he watches Collins completely dominate himself and the other Duke burger boy big men.

In 2 WF v Dk games:

Harry Giles 9 points, 5 rebounds, 7 fouls
John Collins 51 points, 23 rebounds, 6 fouls

I would love to know what goes through Giles' mind as he watches Collins completely dominate himself and the other Duke burger boy big men.

In 2 WF v Dk games:

And yet draft projections still have Giles ahead of JC... Makes sense.

And yet draft projections still have Giles ahead of JC... Makes sense.

Collins has blossomed so much particularly in the last half of this season that they can't keep up. Those mock drafts etc. work pretty well for guys who were known before the season started. Collins was barely in the "somebody to keep an eye on for '18" category. He has played himself into a mid first to lottery pick.

Plus, there has probably been a sentiment of "Giles will start rounding into shape soon." I think the reality is setting in that that isn't going to happen.

Giles is in the worst type of shape draft stock wise. Not dissimilar to what you see in Kentucky.

1) He needs to play. Yet he was stapled to pine for most/if not all of the second half.
2) He looks very slow/still hurt when out there.
3) He's not even the only top big recruit not playing (Chase Jeter M Bolden Delaurier 4 star) with another top ranked PF (Wendell Carter) coming in next year and the 5th overall guy Bamba a center considering.

The Giles family can't even gripe b/c now Duke is winning with small ball ( heavy threes w/ Kennard/Tatum slashing) and there's at least two other 5 stars similarly getting near zero time.

Of course from Duke's perspective it's an embarrassment of riches. From Giles POV i think it's a catch 22.

You wonder if it's better to transfer sit out get healthy etc and try and have one year of being the man for some non Duke team or go into draft maybe someone bets on the upside and you spend a year or 2 on the G- League shuttle. No way is he ready for NBA minutes next year.

But with Carter coming in and Bolden and Jeter likely returning as far less ballyhooed but still 5 stars names coming in Giles looks to be facing the squeeze big time.

EDIT
I'll add this article. Harry is only 18 and he think's it's time for the NBA already b/c of the wow athleticism he used to have. IMHO also don't believe Giles is being totally honest here with the writer. He has to know Duke's recruited with the expectation he declares.
http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-shadow-of-his-former-self-but-he-sees-light/

Last edited:
Giles was absolutely abused on defense every time he was on the floor. He is too slow to defend DI players, guards or bigs right now. K took him out after Childress blew by him for the hoop and harm. I don't recall him coming back in after that. 2 points and 0 rebounds. Wow.

"The Giles family can't even gripe b/c now Duke is winning with small ball ( heavy threes w/ Kennard/Tatum slashing) and there's at least two other 5 stars similarly getting near zero time."
Anyone who is at all familiar with Duke over the years should have known that they rely on the 3 ball and almost never have a post presence on offense. Giles and his Dad were sucked in by K who could have cared less about Harry until is became apparent that he might go to Wake and the K did all he could to get Harry away from Winston.

When Giles committed, my first thought was how awesome it would be if Collins showed up Giles in Cameron and we escaped with a win. We didn't get the win, but I never would have imagined that Collins would get 31 and 15 and Giles would play 4 minutes, get 3 fouls, score 2 points, and only attempt 1 shot.

Pretty infuriating that we are likely never going to beat Duke while Giles is there.

"The Giles family can't even gripe b/c now Duke is winning with small ball ( heavy threes w/ Kennard/Tatum slashing) and there's at least two other 5 stars similarly getting near zero time."
Anyone who is at all familiar with Duke over the years should have known that they rely on the 3 ball and almost never have a post presence on offense. Giles and his Dad were sucked in by K who could have cared less about Harry until is became apparent that he might go to Wake and the K did all he could to get Harry away from Winston.

They don't have a true center on offense, but they always have an athletic 4 playing out of position as a small ball center who does pretty well. Brandon Ingram, Okafor, the Plumlee parade, McBob, etc. all played that role into solid NBA careers. Giles' problem is that Tatum is currently playing that role instead of him. But I get the sense that Giles thinks of himself as Kevin Garnett who can do everything on the court, so he thought he would perfectly in that role.

They don't have a true center on offense, but they always have an athletic 4 playing out of position as a small ball center who does pretty well. Brandon Ingram, Okafor, the Plumlee parade, McBob, etc. all played that role into solid NBA careers. Giles' problem is that Tatum is currently playing that role instead of him. But I get the sense that Giles thinks of himself as Kevin Garnett who can do everything on the court, so he thought he would perfectly in that role.

Giles might think of himself as Chas McFarland at this point and still be delusional.

In 2 WF v Dk games:

dook 2 Wake 0. dook lock for NCAAT, likely 2/3 seed?

Back