• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The official LOL Harry Giles thread

dook 2 Wake 0. dook lock for NCAAT, likely 2/3 seed?

He had a great day yesterday. They had a shot of the Duke bench after a big three from Grayson Allen towards the end of the game, and he was standing up and clapping hard from the bench. He has made vital contributions from the Duke bench as head cheerleader. Although that is probably unfair as he has contributed slightly more than the butt ugly Duke cheerleaders by setting the uncalled illegal screen for Kennards winning shot in Winston during game one. However, if the illegal screen would have been called he would have been the goat. Think about it. An illegal screen is his best contribution for the season Quite a successful year for the consensus number one recruit. Better to be on the bench cheering for a 2/3 seed than to be exposed as a player who is no longer elite on a bubble team. Better invest that first contract money wisely.

I still don't get people talking shit. Unless you believe that committing to Wake would have led Giles to not destroy his knee last year, he would have sucked as bad at Wake this year. And the media would have had a field day speculating that we are misusing him (something K is completely insulated from).

I doubt Harry is as laying awake at night obsessing about this as much as this board does. I'm sure he'd like to have contributed more but such a terrible consolation, probably as deep run in the ACCT and NCAAT, then 1st round NBA contract.

"None of this was up to Coach K". Really? So if you want playing time under Ratface you just tell him you're playing. I always wondered how he decided on his lineups.

Coach K had nothing to do with the injuries will he be trying to work him back into a lineup before he is physically or mentally ready. These are not the old days Mack where you put guys out there hurt. These coaches do what is best for their players as it also normally shows what is best in the overall well being of the program. Having had several knee issues myself and not having to jump like these guys do [but definitely cut on the basketball floor], one has to be fully confident they are going to be able to do it. Both without pain AND without fear of it happening again.

Anyone who think Harry would be playing a significant role for us is kidding themselves. Sucks for us and sucks for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who think Harry would be playing a significant role for us is kidding themselves. Sucks for us and sucks for him.

Exactly. Right now he is not better than JC. Now if some NBA teams still looks at his prior stuff and looks past all his present injury history and wants to spend untold millions on that risk, more power to them. Sounds like a Philly 76er type pick [or Cleveland Browns in football]. I would want him to show another season of injury free basketball before I spent that kind of money but that is not how they think up there.

I think he would have stayed at WCA. I think he would be mentored by Manning and eventually start at PF for us.

Last edited:
I think he would have stayed at WCA. I think he would be mentored by Manning and eventually start at PF for us.

It is quite possible that he never would have blown out the second knee if he hadn't changed HS - chaos theory and all that.

I still don't get people talking shit. Unless you believe that committing to Wake would have led Giles to not destroy his knee last year, he would have sucked as bad at Wake this year. And the media would have had a field day speculating that we are misusing him (something K is completely insulated from).

People are talking shit because, after picking Duke all comments and indications were that we were not even his second choice. Wake fans came to feel like he really played us and led us on - leading DM to waste a LOT of time and resources recruiting him. Lots of logical reasons made Wake the better choice for him but he fell for Coach K's bullshit - transferring HS's and everything - basically disrespecting Wake as an option. And then after they beat us in WS he really acted like an ass on the court and pissed Wake fans off even more. So screw him.

Well, maybe it will help us the next time someone is deciding between Duke and Wake --- as Manning knows how to develop and use a big man, while Coach K wants them to rebound, set screens (even the illegal screens) and squanders what talent and potential they have. No PF or C in their right mind should ever choose to play basketball at Duke.

Didn't Giles go to duke hospital to repair and/or rehab his knee after the first injury? Seems like going to duke is really not good for the knees.

may i refer you to this post:

What's the point of sports if you're not gonna hate Giles?

He may not have gotten injured. He wouldn't have been in the location where he got hurt.

I remember being disappointed we stopped pursuing him. Good call, recruiting staff.

This is one of Bzd's many downfalls. He owuld have felt the pressure and taken him to get Giles only to NOT get Giles and stuck with Kwe.

He'd also be on a team that wasn't nearly as deep but had a true PG. He would have gotten more run and chances to score IMO. But he's at dook so may he fail miserably.

Kwe Parker is 1 for 8 from the FT line this year. That even makes Wilbekin's 2 point % look great.

Going to Oak Hill was a terrible decision for Giles. Whether the Duke coaches encouraged him to go there to get him out of our backyard or not, he clearly got some bad advice from people who didn't have his best interest at stake. After recovering from ACL tear #1 and playing his first full HS season followed by a full AAU season and then playing with the USA Team, the kid needed to take a break. You dont have to be a doctor to see that going to Oak Hill who is known for having the most intense practices and training schedules (5 AM workouts, 4 hours of practice a day, etc) probably wasnt the smartest decision. There's been a lot of studies on teenagers overworking their bodies and leading to more injuries, shorter careers,etc. Obviously he was unlucky in the severity of his injury, but the Oak Hill move was a terrible decision even before the injury.

Going to Oak Hill was a terrible decision for Giles. Whether the Duke coaches encouraged him to go there to get him out of our backyard or not, he clearly got some bad advice from people who didn't have his best interest at stake. After recovering from ACL tear #1 and playing his first full HS season followed by a full AAU season and then playing with the USA Team, the kid needed to take a break. You dont have to be a doctor to see that going to Oak Hill who is known for having the most intense practices and training schedules (5 AM workouts, 4 hours of practice a day, etc) probably wasnt the smartest decision. There's been a lot of studies on teenagers overworking their bodies and leading to more injuries, shorter careers,etc. Obviously he was unlucky in the severity of his injury, but the Oak Hill move was a terrible decision even before the injury.

Yes, and that is also true for baseball players as well as soccer players. This year round stuff will have to end one of these days as young bodies need rest. They also need a break from their sports and the 2 or 3 sport athlete needs to come back in vogue. Gives them another look at team work while still getting in practices and athletic type workouts--just not the same ones that stress the same joints.

Back