• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The official LOL Harry Giles thread

I will probably catch a ton of flak for this, but I feel sorry for the kid. Coached against him in MS, and he was absolutely one of the most gifted kids I saw at that level - CP3 was a verrry close second, but completely different players and skill sets. Harry dominated at Flat Rock. I absolutely hated it that he turned his back on Wake, Winston, his friends, etc. but am always willing to give a kid the benefit of the doubt. We too often forget the pressure these guys are under and how many people are in their heads... I thought K turned his back on him @ Duke and cemented my opinion of him (K) in stone. I just hope that Harry gets healthy (physically and mentally) and can have a nice career in the NBA. Time is running out though.

There’s no reason for the Kings to do otherwise.

I will probably catch a ton of flak for this, but I feel sorry for the kid. Coached against him in MS, and he was absolutely one of the most gifted kids I saw at that level - CP3 was a verrry close second, but completely different players and skill sets. Harry dominated at Flat Rock. I absolutely hated it that he turned his back on Wake, Winston, his friends, etc. but am always willing to give a kid the benefit of the doubt. We too often forget the pressure these guys are under and how many people are in their heads... I thought K turned his back on him @ Duke and cemented my opinion of him (K) in stone. I just hope that Harry gets healthy (physically and mentally) and can have a nice career in the NBA. Time is running out though.

Agree with this regarding K. Let's think about this: Harry tore up his knee pre-season at Oak Hill senior season so his 300 mins and about 100 pts and 100 rebounds at Duke are ALL the bkb he has played since November 2015! Wish he had joined us but tough for the kid.

Read an interesting article on the approach the Kings took in the sacbee. Written by their columnist. Worth a google if you have the time.

There has been nothing but trouble for Harry, since his dad sold his soul to the Evil Dookies. Karma

NBA article on Harry Giles and his rehab. http://www.nba.com/kings/blog/giles-i-know-my-time-coming

"In the summer, Giles flourished on the USA Basketball Under-19 team that won the FIBA World Championship in Greece, and soon after, netted 17.8 points and 11.5 rebounds per outing with his AAU team, CP3 All-Stars, sponsored by longtime friend and Houston Rockets All-Star Chris Paul.

That’s my big brother,” Giles said. “It’s crazy the steps our relationship took. I met him forever ago. I was a kid, and just growing up (he was) always there. We kind of just got closer. I played on his (AAU) team, and ever since then, he just took me under his wing.

“Being from the same hometown, growing up around the same things, playing in the same areas, being around the same people – he can relate to that. He’s laying the path down for me, in a way, and I think he’s always helped me in my career regardless of what it would be.”

The future Kings draftee would look to Paul, along with dozens of close family members and friends, for words of advice and inspiration often over the course of the next year."

Unless we had inside word, it is a little hard to fault Manning for going after Giles so hard. You couldn't have found a more ideal situation to go after a player of that caliber.

NBA article on Harry Giles and his rehab. http://www.nba.com/kings/blog/giles-i-know-my-time-coming

"In the summer, Giles flourished on the USA Basketball Under-19 team that won the FIBA World Championship in Greece, and soon after, netted 17.8 points and 11.5 rebounds per outing with his AAU team, CP3 All-Stars, sponsored by longtime friend and Houston Rockets All-Star Chris Paul.

That’s my big brother,” Giles said. “It’s crazy the steps our relationship took. I met him forever ago. I was a kid, and just growing up (he was) always there. We kind of just got closer. I played on his (AAU) team, and ever since then, he just took me under his wing.

“Being from the same hometown, growing up around the same things, playing in the same areas, being around the same people – he can relate to that. He’s laying the path down for me, in a way, and I think he’s always helped me in my career regardless of what it would be.”

The future Kings draftee would look to Paul, along with dozens of close family members and friends, for words of advice and inspiration often over the course of the next year."

Unless we had inside word, it is a little hard to fault Manning for going after Giles so hard. You couldn't have found a more ideal situation to go after a player of that caliber.

Paul probably told him to go to Duke. That is how things work out for us.

I think you're right. CP did not help us recruit him. Not that it matters, wouldn't have played anyway after injuring himself. Also, his inside crew told him he would be better off rehabbing with Duke and their medical staff.

If that’s true, Paul’s jersey should come down from the rafters. It doesn’t belong there anyway based on his college career.

If he had committed to Wake, he may not have gone to Oak Hill, then who knows the alternative history.

Are there any other fanbases as upset about one of their most famous alums having their jersey retired? It’s always seemed really weird to me.

The NBA career of Chris Paul is the only thing keeping Wake basketball remotely relevant in today's sporting culture. Probably a bad idea to take his jersey down.

Back