• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Trump Swamp Thread: Still Corrupt as Fuck

Probably a better way to make sure this doesn't happen again is to pass laws that prevent it rather than throw these guys in jail. A few simple things would prevent some of the major problems we've seen. Candidates for federal elected office must release 10 years of tax returns; Nominees for federal political appointment Must release 10 years of tax returns; Presidents, VPs and cabinet secretaries must put assets into a blind trust before entering office and for 5 years after leaving; etc. These rules would probably deter a bunch of rich assholes from running for office for financial gain, and if they did anyway, we the public would be able to review their financial ties and potential for corruption.

I'd also say Biden could accomplish a lot by going a head and declassifying piles of incriminating material from the last 4 years, that would simply embarrass and expose the GOP, and set a president for future presidents to use declassifying to embarrass their predecessors which would deter future bad behavior. He could do all of that without "politicizing" the DOJ and go a long way to preventing future Trumps.

Are any of these ideas Executive Order-able? I can't see the rich assholes currently in office getting behind any of this.

Isn't that up in the air with most people leaning against him being able to do that?

And I thought pardon powers were limited to items which were under potential investigation. You can't pardon for future crimes that haven't occurred.

Not crimes that haven't occurred, but crimes that haven't been charged. I expect an incredibly vaguely-worded massive self-pardon as his exit nears. It'll be like a pre-nump, but like, for crimes. I realize there are some arguments around self-pardoning, but given the climate and how many sycophants have been installed I'm sure he'll figure it out.

Not crimes that haven't occurred, but crimes that haven't been charged. I expect an incredibly vaguely-worded massive self-pardon as his exit nears. It'll be like a pre-nump, but like, for crimes. I realize there are some arguments around self-pardoning, but given the climate and how many sycophants have been installed I'm sure he'll figure it out.

[insert Michael Scott "I declare bankruptcy" gif here]

monopoly-1.gif

Trump and the people he surrounds himself with are dumb enough that Trump will issue himself a detailed pardon outlining a bunch of crimes he committed that have statues at both the federal and state level. That is the kind of genius we are dealing with.

Wouldn’t he have to do that to pardon himself before being charged?

I was talking about this with someone before...maybe in here, can’t remember. I was under the assumption a pardon can only be given to someone charged, as it is an admission of guilt (my understanding, still). I hear that you can pardon someone not charged...which seem insane, like a get out of jail free card. Do you specifically have to name a future crime or something? Idk...you guys are smarter on these topics than I. What are the limitations of a future pardon, like the next 10 years of crimes? Pardoned once, but if does again it is not pardoned?

I was talking about this with someone before...maybe in here, can’t remember. I was under the assumption a pardon can only be given to someone charged, as it is an admission of guilt (my understanding, still). I hear that you can pardon someone not charged...which seem insane, like a get out of jail free card. Do you specifically have to name a future crime or something? Idk...you guys are smarter on these topics than I. What are the limitations of a future pardon, like the next 10 years of crimes? Pardoned once, but if does again it is not pardoned?

That is pretty much what Richard Nixon got after he left the presidency. Here is the relevant text:

Now, THEREFORE, I, GERALD R. FORD, President of the United States, pursuant to the pardon power conferred upon me by Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, have granted and by these presents do grant a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from January 20, 1969 through August 9, 1974.

Yet Republicans will claim the Biden administration isn’t transparent.

Hey dum dum's, how bout ya wait 2 months until after he can't get pardoned to file your complaints

Let me guess, the phrase "I don't recall" came up frequently.

Back