• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Betsy DeVos

I brought up her donations to the people voting on her confirmation the first day. Those who vote for her will get even more donations next time. And the children will pay the price.

The swamp's not going to drain itself. I would just love for anyone to point out what makes her qualified for this position.

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017...ign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170204

"The following virtual academies have four-year cohort graduation rates at or above 90 percent," DeVos wrote, listing some apparent success stories:
"Idaho Virtual Academy (IDV A): 90 percent
Nevada Virtual Academy (NVV A): 100 percent
Ohio Virtual Academy (OHV A): 92 percent
Oklahoma Virtual Charter Academy (OVCA): 91 percent
Texas Virtual Academy (TXVA): 96 percent
Utah Virtual Academy (UTV A): 96 percent
Wisconsin Virtual Academy (WIV A): 96 percent"

There's just one problem with these numbers, Pallas points out.
They're wrong.
The Nevada Virtual Academy, for example. Its graduation rate for the class of 2015 wasn't 100 percent. It was 63 percent, according to Nevada's own school report card.
Ohio Virtual Academy's 92 percent graduation rate? Try 53 percent.
Utah Virtual Academy's 96 percent rate? Cut it in half.
You get the point.
Where did DeVos get these inflated numbers? Questions to the Trump administration went unanswered, but they appear to have been lifted verbatim from this report by K12 Inc., the for-profit company behind the online schools listed. DeVos herself was once an investor. It would not be the first of her answers to senators that appear to have been borrowed without citation.
K12 Inc. has already responded to the controversy, explaining that its numbers are "the graduation rate of continuously enrolled high school students – those who enrolled in ninth grade and remained enrolled until twelfth grade. This is not the federal graduation rate and our report makes that clear."

I think that's the first time a VP has broken a tie on a Cabinet position.

Confirmed. Pence breaks tie.

It's official. Conservatives own education in America. For years and years, conservatives could destroy public education and blame teachers and parents. DeVos' public incompetence and the resistance she faced from many sides will establish her as the new "boogie man" for everything wrong with education.

I love how people keep saying that Dems want Trump to fail, when in reality, if they wanted him to fail they would have gladly accepted DeVos. I don't agree with several of Trump's cabinet nominees, but this one is particularly embarrassing. If Pubs don't want him to fail, then they should reject nominees like DeVos.

It's official. Conservatives own education in America. For years and years, conservatives could destroy public education and blame teachers and parents. DeVos' public incompetence and the resistance she faced from many sides will establish her as the new "boogie man" for everything wrong with education.

That and the fact that Trump will throw her, or anyone in his cabinet for that matter, under the bus the first time a routine question is asked about some inevitable fault in quality with the education system.

Last edited:
I love how people keep saying that Dems want Trump to fail, when in reality, if they wanted him to fail they would have gladly accepted DeVos. I don't agree with several of Trump's cabinet nominees, but this one is particularly embarrassing. If Pubs don't want him to fail, then they should reject nominees like DeVos.

are you serious ? they can't gladly accept devos when Unions own them. wake the fuck up

My kid had a C on his report card because of Devos.

ITCbaby's daycare had some lame multi-cultural celebration instead of just Christmas thanks to DeVos

Back