• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Betsy DeVos

are you serious? What does ranking 29 th in the world while spending the most money per student give liberals the qualification to say the us is now fucked in education.

what a joke. To quote DJT . what the hell do you have to lose?

Well, you are bringing in somebody (DeVos) who is into expanding the worst components of an education system (vouchers, charters, etc.) that you claim is already substandard. DeVos isn't suggesting anything new; she's in favor of establishing a component of education policy that really doesn't work, but that will be lucrative to private investors in the long run.

Again, our current model for education is incredibly Republican in terms of policy. It was designed and implemented by conservatives, and extended - with little to no modification - by a Democratic president.

Education really isn't a liberal and conservative issue anymore. Our education policy is a living, breathing example of a truly Republican/conservative education policy.

you are such a little bitch. funny part is nobody has responded to any of your posts till just now. maybe you are on ignore.

He's not wrong. It's both a #fact and a #feeling that you are dumb. I don't think you've every made a intelligent post.

are you serious? What does ranking 29 th in the world while spending the most money per student give liberals the qualification to say the us is now fucked in education.

what a joke. To quote DJT . what the hell do you have to lose?

there are a lot of people who could fix our education system. what qualifies DeVos other than apparently just saying why the fuck not?

so you have no answer. 8 years and 29th is the best you can do?

Most of the HS education is run by states and localities. If you knew anything about the subject, you'd understand that this is the case. And most of the states are run by Republicans. The GOP is failing American education.

Here is an excerpt from 2009. where US was ranked higher than 2016

The Associated Press
United States students are continuing to trail behind their peers in a pack of higher performing nations, according to results from a key international assessment.
Scores from the 2009 Programme for International Student Assessment to be released Tuesday show 15-year-old students in the U.S. performing about average in reading and science, and below average in math. Out of 34 countries, the U.S. ranked 14th in reading, 17th in science and 25th in math.

Those scores are all higher than those from 2003 and 2006, but far behind the highest scoring countries, including South Korea, Finland and Singapore, Hong Kong and Shanghai in China and Canada.

"This is an absolute wake-up call for America," U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan said in an interview with The Associated Press. "The results are extraordinarily challenging to us and we have to deal with the brutal truth. We have to get much more serious about investing in education."

Our education system is largely a product of George W. Bush's education policy (and Obama's continued implementation of it). That's what blows my mind. The educational clusterfuck that conservatives attribute to Obama is a distinctly Republican educational clusterfuck and DeVos is only going to make the problem worse if you believe that she will act on her "educational" philosophy.

This is the correct response. George Bush's unfunded no child left behind act really messed up the US education system. Obama's two big national education initiatives were "race to the top" and common core. I've seen few to no criticisms of race to the top, a granting program where school districts apply for Federal Grants, to enhance local school budgets. Common Core is ridiculed as an oppressive federal over reach, but that completely ignores the fact that adopting the standards is completely voluntary by the states. Before Bush, education issues where largely addressed on the local or state government level.

The Associated Press
United States students are continuing to trail behind their peers in a pack of higher performing nations, according to results from a key international assessment.
Scores from the 2009 Programme for International Student Assessment to be released Tuesday show 15-year-old students in the U.S. performing about average in reading and science, and below average in math. Out of 34 countries, the U.S. ranked 14th in reading, 17th in science and 25th in math.

Those scores are all higher than those from 2003 and 2006, but far behind the highest scoring countries, including South Korea, Finland and Singapore, Hong Kong and Shanghai in China and Canada.

"This is an absolute wake-up call for America," U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan said in an interview with The Associated Press. "The results are extraordinarily challenging to us and we have to deal with the brutal truth. We have to get much more serious about investing in education."

In 2010, the GOP took over a bunch of states. That's where most of the decisions about education are made. Again, don't let facts get in your way. You never do.

The Associated Press

And Duncan's (and the Obama administration's) response was to try to make George W. Bush's education policy work better. Again, call education policy a failure if you want (I agree with you there), but it's somewhere between hypocritical and damn stupid to suggest that DeVos is the answer.

ETA: This.

This is the correct response. George Bush's unfunded no child left behind act really messed up the US education system. Obama's two big national education initiatives were "race to the top" and common core. I've seen few to no criticisms of race to the top, a granting program where school districts apply for Federal Grants, to enhance local school budgets. Common Core is ridiculed as an oppressive federal over reach, but that completely ignores the fact that adopting the standards is completely voluntary by the states. Before Bush, education issues where largely addressed on the local or state government level.

The Associated Press

in case you missed it

well, i might be forgetting my counting, but I think there are many, many numbers after 29

Let's get this straight:

1. Devos wants to use education and reform efforts as a means to "advance God's Kingdom." (http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/betsy-devos-education-trump-religion-232150)
2. She essentially wants to privatize schools via "for-profit" charter schools. (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-system-is-a-dead-end/?utm_term=.b819f0dbf970)
3. She was part of the reason for Detroit's reform being an utter disaster, due to to her system design with no oversight and schools continuing to be allowed to enroll children despite horrific test scores. (https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/25/opinion/betsy-devos-and-the-wrong-way-to-fix-schools.html?_r=0)

What in the world would possibly make anybody think she is qualified for this position other than the notion that she donated a ton of money to a lot of Republican senators?

I would love to see an argument in the affirmative of her getting this position other than simply buying her way into it.

Our education system is largely a product of George W. Bush's education policy (and Obama's continued implementation of it). That's what blows my mind. The educational clusterfuck that conservatives attribute to Obama is a distinctly Republican educational clusterfuck and DeVos is only going to make the problem worse if you believe that she will act on her "educational" philosophy.

Well, you are bringing in somebody (DeVos) who is into expanding the worst components of an education system (vouchers, charters, etc.) that you claim is already substandard. DeVos isn't suggesting anything new; she's in favor of establishing a component of education policy that really doesn't work, but that will be lucrative to private investors in the long run.

Again, our current model for education is incredibly Republican in terms of policy. It was designed and implemented by conservatives, and extended - with little to no modification - by a Democratic president.

Education really isn't a liberal and conservative issue anymore. Our education policy is a living, breathing example of a truly Republican/conservative education policy.

Well said.

homosexual-dinosaurs.jpg

Let's get this straight:

1. Devos wants to use education and reform efforts as a means to "advance God's Kingdom." (http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/betsy-devos-education-trump-religion-232150)
2. She essentially wants to privatize schools via "for-profit" charter schools. (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-system-is-a-dead-end/?utm_term=.b819f0dbf970)
3. She was part of the reason for Detroit's reform being an utter disaster, due to to her system design with no oversight and schools continuing to be allowed to enroll children despite horrific test scores. (https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/25/opinion/betsy-devos-and-the-wrong-way-to-fix-schools.html?_r=0)

What in the world would possibly make anybody think she is qualified for this position other than the notion that she donated a ton of money to a lot of Republican senators?

I would love to see an argument in the affirmative of her getting this position other than simply buying her way into it.

look nobody really ever responds to you. I am not sure if you noticed. I will entertain you by saying I have never said she was the answer. I actually asked an honest question days back on this very thread about why she is the anti christ to liberals as I did not know. I generally feel the policy in place now is a joke. Ranked 1st in $ per student and 29 th world? thats pathetic. And blame whoever you want for that but its shit. I can be "not smart" and know that is embarrassing.

in case you missed it

You're right the US should be happy with the slide from 15th to 29th in last 7 years and should not risk changing things and potentially speeding up this decline. lol gtfoh

pussy liberals post many, many reasons why DeVos sucks.

conservatives? "TAKE THE L"

look nobody really ever responds to you. I am not sure if you noticed. I will entertain you by saying I have never said she was the answer. I actually asked an honest question days back on this very thread about why she is the anti christ to liberals as I did not know. I generally feel the policy in place now is a joke. Ranked 1st in $ per student and 29 th world? thats pathetic. And blame whoever you want for that but its shit. I can be "not smart" and know that is embarrassing.

and what are her qualifications to fix this joke?

Back