• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Betsy DeVos

But she has failed miserably at implementing them.

ok so you don't disagree with the position? your anger is your concern about her being able to implement it?

Parents don't want to have to shuffle their kids around to different schools year to year or even week to week just to get a good education.

Quality education should be about stability and consistency. Schools should work together toward a good education for all students instead of artificially creating winners and losers.

how bout while everyone is working on a plan to have great education for all equally across the board we let some of the inner city parents have access to other schools.

I think that would be a desire of mine if I was in that situation.

what background does she need to promote these positions and be accepted by everyone ? does she have to be the creator of this position to promote and implement it ?

Here is an interesting article about the pick.

http://blackcommunitynews.com/education-pick-betsy-devos-supports-what-teachers-unions-hate/

The tabbed sections at the top of that website though.

About US | Contact | Subscribe | Write for us | Clergy Corner | Protecting the Second Amendment | Disclaimer | Donate

ok so you don't disagree with the position? your anger is your concern about her being able to implement it?

His dissent is (I think) clearly grounded in that she had oversight of such policies over charter schools before, implemented said policies, and they grossly underperformed. But because of her financial clout, these failing charter schools are allowed to continue to operate and fail students far longer than they should be.

Her reward for helping to cause Detroit (and greater Michigan) education to flounder is being given the keys to our entire nation's education.

What happens when a privately owned charter school go bankrupt when they can't fundraise enough money?

Too bad, move your kid on to the next one?

That's not disruptive at all.

What happens when a privately owned charter school go bankrupt when they can't fundraise enough money?

Too bad, move your kid on to the next one?

That's not disruptive at all.

Hey man, competition is good. When Circuit City closed, I just went to Best Buy. No problem. Same thing here.

so what is the solution to the edu disaster in the US ? spend more money ?

I oppose privatizing public schools.

And as multiple links I posted (and you totally ignored) showed that she is totally incompetent.

Elect governors and local leaders who actually care about public schools and not insult them. You don't get it. Public school policy is set locally and by states not federally.

Elect governors and local leaders who actually care about public schools and not insult them. You don't get it. Public school policy is set locally and by states not federally.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...under-obama-had-no-impact-on-achievement.html

Smarick said then-Secretary Arne Duncan had approached SIG as a big bet, considering the “body of research out there for years that if you put more resources into failing districts and failing schools, you’re not going to get better student achievement.” In the end, he said, “They decided to go ahead and put as much money as possible into the program to make it work, which led us to this dramatic report: what happened was what has always happened in the past.”

Maybe the military shouldn't receive 8.5x more discretionary spending than education?

Maybe we should be raising the ceiling of education (more emphasis on gifted students, advanced education) instead of trying to raise the floor?

Maybe stop blaming teachers for giving your special snowflake a bad grade and trying to move schools?

It's pretty obvious that the solution is to put someone who has no idea how to run the education department in charge of the education department.

Maybe the military shouldn't receive 8.5x more discretionary spending than education?

Maybe we should be raising the ceiling of education (more emphasis on gifted students, advanced education) instead of trying to raise the floor?

Maybe stop blaming teachers for giving your special snowflake a bad grade and trying to move schools?

I understand this position in theory but when you look at the stats and the US spends more than any country per student in the world. spending more money doesn't seem like the solution.

It's pretty obvious that the solution is to put someone who has no idea how to run the education department in charge of the education department.

who put the last person in? and were you guys furious about it ?

I understand this position in theory but when you look at the stats and the US spends more than any country per student in the world. spending more money doesn't seem like the solution.

It's about the spending priorities. Spend it on teachers and students instead of bureaucracy and legions of private consultants, testing companies, and accountability schemes. Conservatives have turned education spending into a piggy bank.

It's about the spending priorities. Spend it on teachers and students instead of bureaucracy and legions of private consultants, testing companies, and accountability schemes. Conservatives have turned education spending into a piggy bank.

This is a good post.

perhaps but it if you read the article it looks like pumping money into the system didn't work. I am all for higher wages for teachers but not with the protection the unions give them. I could be wrong but higher wages should demand results.

The US spending more per student than almost any other country in the world is based on factors that are only tangentially related to education. The size of our nation and how spread out our population is necessitates more schools, which leads to higher costs. Unless you are proposing that we close rural schools and force rural students to travel to schools that combine a bunch of rural areas into one school, those costs are going to continue to be necessary.

The US currently spends around 6% of discretionary spending on education. And as Ph has alluded to, much of that doesn't go directly to schools. Increase education spending, and use the increase to raise teacher's salaries, increase training for teachers, purchase updated textbooks for students, etc.

perhaps but it if you read the article it looks like pumping money into the system didn't work. I am all for higher wages for teachers but not with the protection the unions give them. I could be wrong but higher wages should demand results.

That's what I said. Which is why the money needs to bolster teacher-student relationships.

How many states have teachers unions that protect teachers' jobs?

Back