• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Betsy DeVos

The US spending more per student than almost any other country in the world is based on factors that are only tangentially related to education. The size of our nation and how spread out our population is necessitates more schools, which leads to higher costs. Unless you are proposing that we close rural schools and force rural students to travel to schools that combine a bunch of rural areas into one school, those costs are going to continue to be necessary.

The US currently spends around 6% of discretionary spending on education. And as Ph has alluded to, much of that doesn't go directly to schools. Increase education spending, and use the increase to raise teacher's salaries, increase training for teachers, purchase updated textbooks for students, etc.

Good post.

You know conservatives don't have much of a case when they've left Deacs89 by himself like this.

16473650_10154782444087911_6157222029518021_n.png

who put the last person in? and were you guys furious about it ?

Obama and yes.

DeVos is an objectively bad pick and there are no rational arguments for her selection short of her donor status.

How many states have teachers unions that protect teachers' jobs?

you're such a dick man. You can easily find that answer. is there a point you are getting at or are you wanting to lead me into your point?

ok I am tapping out for a bit. heading home after a huge day of doing nothing in my office. Thanks guys.

you're such a dick man. You can easily find that answer. is there a point you are getting at or are you wanting to lead me into your point?

Tap out all you like. When you blame "teachers' unions" as some sort of monolithic evil, I'd think you would, you know, have facts to back up that point.

Teachers' unions are a problem in some states. They aren't in all states. That's why suggesting that teachers' unions are the universal reason things can't get better doesn't carry much weight.

And why are you so pissed off when people ask you questions? If you have a point, shouldn't it be able to withstand a little scrutiny?

Boy, it sure does pay to be rich in a Trump presidency... you can buy cabinet positions!

Why is this debate about Devos' ideas rather than her qualifications for the position? If we assume we need to try some new ideas, even DeVos' ideas, it's really embarrassingly sad if she is the best person to implement them. She's a complete joke. You can't argue her merits for the job. You can only argue the failures of the status quo. She bought this job.

Anyone that voted for her should be ashamed

Why is this debate about Devos' ideas rather than her qualifications for the position? If we assume we need to try some new ideas, even DeVos' ideas, it's really embarrassingly sad if she is the best person to implement them. She's a complete joke. You can't argue her merits for the job. You can only argue the failures of the status quo. She bought this job.

Yeah. A garbage man could have the same ideas, doesn't mean he's qualified for the job.

Back