• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Betsy DeVos

I'll direct you to 27's post listing his leadership qualifications (which, incidentally, looks eerily similar to my list), and also ask you: what constitutes leadership qualification in your eyes?

D7 do you want to weigh in with Cam Newton?

It is telling that here we are, almost 400 posts in, and no one has argued the merits of DeVos as a candidate. Yet she is now in charge of United States education.

"how much worse can it get????"

"left libs were wrong about the election therefore all their thoughts are wrong"

"take the L"

"Obama wasn't qualified in 2008"

I'll direct you to 27's post listing his leadership qualifications (which, incidentally, looks eerily similar to my list), and also ask you: what constitutes leadership qualification in your eyes?

Not that list. Again, he led 10 staffers and some volunteers on what appears to be a glorified PTA SignUpGenius project. Whoopdeedamndo. Every other item on the list is stretching to establish leadership. If that list of "leadership" makes someone qualified to be President of the United States, then you can't complain about anyone else's lack of qualifications.

It is telling that here we are, almost 400 posts in, and no one has argued the merits of DeVos as a candidate. Yet she is now in charge of United States education.

And will really have to try to do worse then the current situation to be considered a failure at it. 29th is hard to beat.

"how much worse can it get????"

"left libs were wrong about the election therefore all their thoughts are wrong"

"take the L"

"Obama wasn't qualified in 2008"

uh there are numbers after 29 right ITC.

And will really have to try to do worse then the current situation to be considered a failure at it. 29th is hard to beat.

Another post not arguing the merits of DeVos as a candidate. It's ok to admit she sucks and she bought this position. My great hope is that she is just incompetent. I'm not optimistic on that though. Of course I correctly predicted Trump will win, so my opinion matters infinitely more than you peasants who didn't see that coming.

Nobody is asking her to have a resume that 100% qualifies her to be SOE. If that were the case for all jobs, nobody would ever progress. Just like any job, you want the applicant to show the desire to learn and have a history of proving that they can learn material comparable to the difficulty of the job they are about to perform. Right now we have an SOE who can't answer basic questions about roles that SHOULD be far beneath what she has accomplished, let alone what she aspires to.

Nobody is asking her to have a resume that 100% qualifies her to be SOE. If that were the case for all jobs, nobody would ever progress. Just like any job, you want the applicant to show the desire to learn and have a history of proving that they can learn material comparable to the difficulty of the job they are about to perform. Right now we have an SOE who can't answer basic questions about roles that SHOULD be far beneath what she has accomplished, let alone what she aspires to.

This really is the equivalent of actually hiring PhDeac to be the AD at Wake.

And what exactly was Obama's leadership experience before he was elected President? Community organizer? He fails even your own definition of what is most important.
Trump meets your definition more than Obama did at the time of their respective elections.
He was a fucking senator not a career b-list celeb

He was a fucking senator not a career b-list celeb

He probably could have also told you the difference between a bill and a law. Unlike DeVos, who couldn't answer a questions about the difference between growth and proficiency.

Help me understand what forms of accountability in public education are tolerable to this Board's left. To review what's not on the list, so far the scoreboard has:
1) Testing. Because apparently performance is unreliable.
2) Dominion for the end user. Somehow this is bad.
3) No serious effort to push poor performing teachers into other pursuits. In fact, tenure and unions to counter that apparently unworthy pursuit.

If what we're after is a jobs program where you can't get fired, your customers can't leave, there are no standards against which you can be judged, and you can get an archaic pension plan you can't outlive, I could see the attraction. That sounds pretty good, actually, when you remember it is a part-time job with full-time benefits you can't get in the private sector any more

Can those of us still interested in some measure of performance at least get the Bobs from Office Space on a quadrennial basis at each school? Something, anything?

There is an obvious difference between insisting everything is fine (against which you're launching your full assault) and simply opposing this pick for lack of qualifications and credibility. But you know that, so what are you doing here

Again, no one is defending the merits of this appointment. They just can't bring themselves to say she sucks.

Back