• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Betsy DeVos

I am a big fan of school choice and the feds staying out of micro-managing the schools. Regardless of which party holds the WH.

I made this point to someone else, though: even if you are a fan of school choice, she is still a terrible pick for this position. You can't bring about meaningful reform if you don't have a basic understanding of all sides and aspects of the situation. She has demonstrated quite clearly that she has no idea how the system currently works. I don't understand how you can support her as the person to bring about good change when she can't even adequately articulate what is currently wrong and what, specifically, she would do to help it (and the implications that has on current standards, etc.).

I made this point to someone else, though: even if you are a fan of school choice, she is still a terrible pick for this position. You can't bring about meaningful reform if you don't have a basic understanding of all sides and aspects of the situation. She has demonstrated quite clearly that she has no idea how the system currently works. I don't understand how you can support her as the person to bring about good change when she can't even adequately articulate what is currently wrong and what, specifically, she would do to help it (and the implications that has on current standards, etc.).
You didn't really answer the question.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I think you misunderstood simos. He doesn't care about the current state of public education. He cares about being able to get a voucher to attend a religious school.

I miss the good old days when a thread like this eventually turned into a "but would you hit it?" thread.

I am a big fan of school choice and the feds staying out of micro-managing the schools. Regardless of which party holds the WH.

Republicans have been all for micro-managing public schools.

As a former educator, I found her to be, ahem...disappointing. Discouraging, actually. Yikes.

Nicest things anybody has said about her yet. Except for when deacfreak pointed out she was rich as shit.

b44126ee89763b800c80e5c23c8a27c5.png

This was one pick that made me raise my eyebrows and I see the social justice warriors are all over FB with this today, but the hearing was pretty much a disaster. At least it's for one of those cabinet positions that doesn't mean anything, but she still shouldn't have been nominated.

Thankfully most schools are well insulated from USDOE. Unfortunately, Republican state legislatures and school boards are much of the insulation.

This was one pick that made me raise my eyebrows and I see the social justice warriors are all over FB with this today, but the hearing was pretty much a disaster. At least it's for one of those cabinet positions that doesn't mean anything, but she still shouldn't have been nominated.

She will be the SOE. No one is going to have a problem getting confirmed.

Back