• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Betsy DeVos

Any chance we can get more commentary from simos on the DeVos nomination? The prior posts have been riveting.

giphy.gif

Obliviate, not obliviatá !

i sort of agree with Conway that these dog & pony hearings are more about letting senators obviate than honest inquiry because how many of these candidates are not going to be confirmed?

See I was thinking this too, but I'd forgotten that Obama had three cabinet nominees that didn't get confirmed (though they all withdrew their names, it was partly due to Congressional opposition)

With every nominee, I keep thinking "This must be the one that is designed to take the fall. The lightning rod that is supposed to distract the country while the real nominees get appointed. The one that the Republicans vote down in an attempt to show that they are not entirely partisan."

But then they just keep getting worse and worse.

Last edited:
With every nominee, I keep thinking "This must be the one that is designed to take the fall. The lightning rod that is supposed to distract the country while the real nominees get appointed. The one that the Republicans can vote down in an attempt to show that they are not entirely partisan."

With every nominee, I keep thinking "This must be the one that is designed to take the fall. The lightning rod that is supposed to distract the country while the real nominees get appointed. The one that the Republicans vote down in an attempt to show that they are not entirely partisan."

But we are supposed to be partisan. It is our President, our House and our Senate. When you had the 60 votes in the Senate, you rammed the ACA down everybody's throats and neither Nancy Pelosi nor Harry Reid would give people a chance to look at it. Or as Nancy would famously say "“But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it..........” It was so bad, so complex and so full of other taxes not told to the American people that they wanted it passed before they were caught red-handed! But remember, Obama told all of us that we could "keep our doctors, keep our own insurance" and ladies we will all love you in the morning.

And by the way, just as Betsy DeVos has said, Charter Schools are a good option. They provide a great option that are free, public and provide a mix a local, state & federal funding. Most minority neighborhoods would be wise to adopt them, as Sec of Ed John King has just said.

Except Devos failed miserably with charter schools in MI.

It's really funny to me that thus far the only appointee that didn't study for their confirmation hearing was Secretary of Education.

But we are supposed to be partisan. It is our President, our House and our Senate. When you had the 60 votes in the Senate, you rammed the ACA down everybody's throats and neither Nancy Pelosi nor Harry Reid would give people a chance to look at it. Or as Nancy would famously say "“But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it..........” It was so bad, so complex and so full of other taxes not told to the American people that they wanted it passed before they were caught red-handed! But remember, Obama told all of us that we could "keep our doctors, keep our own insurance" and ladies we will all love you in the morning.

And by the way, just as Betsy DeVos has said, Charter Schools are a good option. They provide a great option that are free, public and provide a mix a local, state & federal funding. Most minority neighborhoods would be wise to adopt them, as Sec of Ed John King has just said.

I don't remember doing that :eek:

I'm not saying they have to, or even should be, non-partisan. That's a different discussion. I'm just saying, usually it would seem like Trump, or politicians/businessmen in general, would throw out some bait to make the other party feel like they accomplished something while distracting from the other nominees that they really want. After a few get shot down and your primary people have been appointed, then you get the other spots in. But this just seems like he's trying to flood the panels with garbage and see what inevitably leaks through.

And isn't there a-whole-nother thread on the ACA?

Last edited:

Nobody knew what was in the ACA? What a god damn, bald-faced lie.

Back