• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Betsy DeVos

So, if you guys accept the Trump campaign rhetoric as the norm, then why complain about it?

sailordeac...please read article again. the GOP is complaining about someone saying Devos has never been to a classroom. might not be true, but i guarantee she has never been to a public school classroom...ever! there is a little difference between tongue and cheek comment and a presidential election speech.

Last edited:
sailordeac...please read article again. the GOP is complaining about someone saying Devos has never been to a classroom. might not be true, but i guarantee she has never been to a public school classroom...ever! there is a little difference between tongue and cheek comment and a presidential election speech.

warak, that's not what the article from the Washington Post, which is hardly a GOP source, says. Indeed, the article makes clear that she has very much been in public schools in Grand Rapids, including being a mentor. There is little reason to doubt that Maxine Waters did say what the article says she said. And what she said was factually wrong.

On the larger issue, let's not defend the Democrats rhetorical excesses and disinformation by referring to Trump's sometimes ridiculous verbiage. If we do, then we will just make nonsense the norm. The dems bullshit plenty too, and there is no need to defend it.

Last edited:
Murkowski and Collins have announced they will vote NO in the Devos vote.

Only more is needed.

If Sessions is confirmed 1st then 2 defections is all that is needed.

Two defections=tie and Pence will break the tie.

Depends on if the vote is taken before Sessions is replaced. If it's after Sessions is confirmed, but before he's replaced then two defections (including the two independents who caucus with the Democrats) makes it 50-49 against. My bold prediction is if this is the status when DeVos' vote comes up Manchin will vote with the GOP and then announce he's changing parties.

Depends on if the vote is taken before Sessions is replaced. If it's after Sessions is confirmed, but before he's replaced then two defections (including the two independents who caucus with the Democrats) makes it 50-49 against. My bold prediction is if this is the status when DeVos' vote comes up Manchin will vote with the GOP and then announce he's changing parties.

"My GAWD! He's the 53rd man! Joe Manchin has betrayed the Democratic Party! He's the 53rd man!"

Manchin already said he's voting no....

No, Manchin has already opposed her publicly, though he has voted for most all or all of Trump's other nominees thus far. That opposition isn't going to hurt him in WV. DeVos performed terribly on the big stage, and there was even some evangelical opposition to her.

If she can through the Senate, having no qualifications whatsoever to do the job, then there's really no point anymore to having the Senate approve these nominations. Just end the charade now.

I know he's said no now, but if he gets a chance to be the tiebreak and establish credibility with the GOP I think he takes it.

I know he's said no now, but if he gets a chance to be the tiebreak and establish credibility with the GOP I think he takes it.

No way. Once you come out and say what he did, you're pretty much bound by it politically unless something happens in the interim that you can use as an excuse.

No way. Once you come out and say what he did, you're pretty much bound by it politically unless something happens in the interim that you can use as an excuse.

I'll say the same thing I did on the SCOTUS thread, I just don't think it matters right now.

holy cow...can we take this scrutiny to keep people accountable to the words literally coming out of their mouths to the presidency?

mmm, GOP double standards for $200 please Alex!

daily double!!

DeVos is confirmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We needed a know nothing to come in a shake up the system.

Next, we will get a cashier to fix the healthcare system and a fast-food cook to head the Department of Defense

this is one confirmation I am not that sure of. I don't know what the right move is to make US education better. I do know that to spend that much per student which i believe leads the world and to rank that low comparably to the world is crazy.
Is it crazy to assume staying the course is not realistic?
It just seems to me and I don't pretend to be the expert but it seems the left is owned by the unions and the push back may not be as pure as it is being portrayed.

Back