• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who has a Wife or Daughter going to the Woman's March on Washington?

What's the normal sunset period on joking about discrimination? I'm sure there still wasn't (almost) universal disdain for slavery jokes until the last 15-20 years or so (ballparking), so that was roughly 130 years from the identified end of that practice. When do we get there on sexism? Maybe it's a theoretical question since we still get race-based jokes and there's no identified "end" of sexism like there was to slavery as an institution.

What's the normal sunset period on joking about discrimination? I'm sure there still wasn't (almost) universal disdain for slavery jokes until the last 15-20 years or so (ballparking), so that was roughly 130 years from the identified end of that practice. When do we get there on sexism? Maybe it's a theoretical question since we still get race-based jokes and there's no identified "end" of sexism like there was to slavery as an institution.

images

I was just using that as an estimate for when people stop caring about tragic things

But what about a tongue and cheek comment about my girlfriend marching to the kitchen to make a sandwich?

Disclaimer: My girlfriend doesn't enjoy cooking or preparing food, so the jokes on me. I make the sandwiches !

I thought there were studies about this - it's basically when there are no longer living survivors (or people who have direct ties) to the event. People who weren't there to experience it or hear about it from a direct source can't fathom the magnitude or impact, and don't have nearly as hard a time making light of it.

But what about a tongue and cheek comment about my girlfriend marching to the kitchen to make a sandwich?

Disclaimer: My girlfriend doesn't enjoy cooking or preparing food, so the jokes on me. I make the sandwiches !

Probably not much of a sunset period on that. But, again to Phan's point, I don't recall hearing any tongue in cheek comments about slavery from anyone old enough to understand the implications of it. Why is slavery different than sexism in this regard?

I was just using that as an estimate for when people stop caring about tragic things

Yeah, I get it, but again slavery nominally ended almost 50 years before the sinking of the Titanic and these two are different to people.

I bet they suck. The sandwiches. I bet they suck.

They are awful. My girlfriend made me throw away the toaster because it wasn't "aesthetically pleasing", so now I'm stuck with cold, soggy untoasted sammiches.

How many slaves does it take to screw in a light bulb ?

One, I guess.

Not really all that funny.

Yeah, I get it, but again slavery nominally ended almost 50 years before the sinking of the Titanic and these two are different to people.

I guess there is/was a lot of pressure when being socialized for me growing up... slavery was bad, don't be racist, etc. Learned about it over and over in school. Horrible things happen to you if you are called racist etc. That breeds an aversion to even appearing racist, making jokes, etc.

No real consequences for making fun of the Titanic.

the problem with this is that is relatively innocuous, but that is exactly what makes for pervasive sexism. "haha, this is funny because MY girlfriend doesn't actually do this!!" ...but it's funny/relevant because there have been and are women still in this situation. Along with that, imagine being a girl and wanting to go outside and play with the whole pack of kids/boys outside, then having one of them go "no way, no girls allowed... how about you go in the kitchen and make us a pie!!!" all the boys laugh because they're 12 and dumb, but at the end of the day, the girl is excluded and it was with the message of "you belong inside and in the kitchen." THIS is how little girls grow up thinking they fit in the world.

If you think I'm joking or that I'm overstating the issue, you're just proving exactly why men should not be the sole voices for making decisions on WOMEN'S rights.

Probably not much of a sunset period on that. But, again to Phan's point, I don't recall hearing any tongue in cheek comments about slavery from anyone old enough to understand the implications of it. Why is slavery different than sexism in this regard?

Why don't you go curl up under phans giant E-balls and stop pretending like I created a narrative I didn't. I didn't bring up slavery. once.

I made a tongue and cheek comment that I thought would send you snowflakes into a frenzy and I was rewarded with being right.

Why don't you go curl up under phans giant E-balls and stop pretending like I created a narrative I didn't. I didn't bring up slavery. once.

I made a tongue and cheek comment that I thought would send you snowflakes into a frenzy and I was rewarded with being right.

Human nature is so predictable. No one gives eachother much leeway these days. You made a joke and therefore are a horrible person- even though jokes are inherently not serious and not necessarily representative of a person's beliefs.

Back