• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who has a Wife or Daughter going to the Woman's March on Washington?

JHMD, do you consult a thesaurus before you make each post? Half the words that you think make sense either: A. Don't make sense in their context, or B. Don't mean what you think they mean.

Does it make you feel smarter to use such big words? Just stick to what you know and it will make your points more effective.

I feel compelled to say I don't exactly align with jhmd on this... "feels good, does nothing" is not my sentiment; it's more complicated than that. There's just enough things on the 'con' side of the pro/con list that I am debating whether or not to participate (as I tried to explain before).

ETA: Trying to articulate a nuanced personal inner dialogue/debate on a message board is difficult to do without sounding like you're on one side or the other - especially depending on who quotes you first and what they do with it.

What is on the con list?

Mission statement for the Boston march:

"On January 21, 2017, we will unite in downtown Boston to march in solidarity with communities most affected by the hate, intolerance and acts of violence being perpetrated throughout the nation—among many are communities of women, immigrants, people of color and people who identify as LGBTQIA. Together, we will send a message to our leaders and the world that the United States of America stands for values of human dignity, equal rights and freedom from discrimination. Ours is a peaceful, nonpartisan march."

Where do I sign up?

What is on the con list?

Generally questioning the effectiveness and if I am not using 4 hours to do that, where could I use that time to also support the platform; credible threats against the event and not wanting to be part of mass chaos should something happen. The pro is "being able to say I was there," because I know I do and have and will support the platform in other ways.

What kind of threats are we talking about? Should I assert my Second Amendment rights on Saturday while I'm also asserting my First Amendment rights?

JHMD, do you consult a thesaurus before you make each post? Half the words that you think make sense either: A. Don't make sense in their context, or B. Don't mean what you think they mean.

Does it make you feel smarter to use such big words? Just stick to what you know and it will make your points more effective.

Doofus,

Your name is Doofus.

End of discussion.

Just other anarchist groups claiming they're going to tag on and start causing problems.

We're anticipating craziness tomorrow, too. A lot of downtown businesses are closing at noon, mass transit won't be operating downtown, etc., based on both the planned protest events and the other intel received from groups planning to wreak havoc.

Just other anarchist groups claiming they're going to tag on and start causing problems.

We're anticipating craziness tomorrow, too. A lot of downtown businesses are closing at noon, mass transit won't be operating downtown, etc., based on both the planned protest events and the other intel received from groups planning to wreak havoc.

Would you get fired if you get arrested? Sometimes innocent people get swept up in all the craziness. Probably better if you stay at home and don't protest Trump. That goes for all of you.

The only time an event has met or exceed expectations as far as turnout is 2008 Obama. I will be surprised if the protests are as organized and big as is being projected. Trumps turnout will be a big meh and the protest turnout will be meh.

I could be misremembering, but I don't remember any of this shit when Obama got sworn in. Maybe some looney KKK antics that nobody paid any attention to, but no concern anywhere near thi magnitude. It is amazing how potentially violent anti-Trump liberals are as compared with anti-Obama racists.

I could be misremembering, but I don't remember any of this shit when Obama got sworn in. Maybe some looney KKK antics that nobody paid any attention to, but no concern anywhere near thi magnitude. It is amazing how potentially violent anti-Trump liberals are as compared with anti-Obama racists.

But will Trump accept the results of this election?

The far left anarchists are a problem, no doubt. Not sure how liberal they are, you know, given they are anarchists. But I know nuance isn't exactly your thing, so have at it. Enjoy your time in Governor Cooper's North Carolina.

"On January 21, 2017, we will unite in downtown Boston to march in solidarity with communities most affected by the hate, intolerance and acts of violence being perpetrated throughout the nation—among many are communities of women, immigrants, people of color and people who identify as LGBTQIA. Together, we will send a message to our leaders and the world that the United States of America stands for values of human dignity, equal rights and freedom from discrimination. Ours is a peaceful, nonpartisan march."

Bingo! I got Bingo!

I've been giving this a lot of thought.
I think I am a little jaded about the impact of marching (this day in age). I believe there are other productive ways I can both make a difference and support women's rights and be a presence. Being on the logistics side of preparing for and managing these large-scale events makes me realize that if you're not also an active supporter of the cause at hand, the people on the other side of the fence aren't exactly saying "oh, hey! Look at all of these people supporting something... they must be on to something, I think I'll listen to their message." Instead, they get more annoyed and bothered that "these people are screwing up my routine, screw them" and it can almost be counterproductive to moving things forward if they weren't already moving that direction. I also don't like the idea of all the opportunists turning the event into something it's not, and multiple credible threats towards an event don't exactly inspire confidence in putting myself into a crowd.

...all of that said, I feel kind of like a coward for saying all of that and recognize my privilege for being able to feel ambivalence. I believe that 10 years from now, I would regret not being part of it. I just generally wonder if protests/marches are the most effective way to move an agenda.

I have a similar ambivalence, coupled with the young child feeding factor. But I think I've come down to a decision based on the bolded section of your statement. That and my MIL and husband's aunt are coming to stay with us to go. So I'll probably go with them and/or meet up with other friends in the neighborhood going.

I would say the majority of my co-workers and the vast majority of my neighbor friends are going (or at least one parent).

2&2 posts remind us all daily of how someone like president-elect Joffrey was able to win the electoral college. For that, I suppose, we are all grateful.

Nope, I checked the math.
1) Reference to a major metropolitan area? Check.
2) Collectivist buzzword (ideally inconsequential)? Check.
3) Statement of accusation? Check.
4) Wild exaggeration as to scope? Always [this is the center piece on the gameboard. Don't get too excited here].
5) Carefully crafted exclusionary language? Check.
6) Toothless gesture? It's a march!
7) Empty platitudes? Congratulations!

Nope, I checked the math.
1) Reference to a major metropolitan area? Check.
2) Collectivist buzzword (ideally inconsequential)? Check.
3) Statement of accusation? Check.
4) Wild exaggeration as to scope? Always [this is the center piece on the gameboard. Don't get too excited here].
5) Carefully crafted exclusionary language? Check.
6) Toothless gesture? It's a march!
7) Empty platitudes? Congratulations!

south-park-s10e08c05-the-slaughter-16x9.jpg

I have a similar ambivalence, coupled with the young child feeding factor. But I think I've come down to a decision based on the bolded section of your statement. That and my MIL and husband's aunt are coming to stay with us to go. So I'll probably go with them and/or meet up with other friends in the neighborhood going.

I would say the majority of my co-workers and the vast majority of my neighbor friends are going (or at least one parent).

My wife told our boys (7 and 4) that she's going to march in DC to tell Trump he shouldn't say mean things about women. They were happy with that.

I think a lot of people are going to have to explain to their kids and grandkids how Trump won the Presidency. Those with some evidence that they were against it from the start or before will have an easier time with that explanation.

Back