• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spicer Presser

Take the L deacman. Policy decisions that you don't agree with are not scandals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowden happened. Is Obama somehow responsible for a middle tier agent??? Obamacare and Iran and immigration laws were all policy. And Obama deported more illegal immigrants than any President in history, btw. You are conflating policy with scandal, I am afraid.

Obama in 2007 and then in 2013. He was going to end the surveillance state that he railed against. And what did he do? He expanded it. These are his own words.

Next up, Iran.

Apparently, posing in front of "Mission Accomplished" banner is a scandal. Same for saying "No new taxes." Who knew?

Snowden happened. Is Obama somehow responsible for a middle tier agent??? Obamacare and Iran and immigration laws were all policy. And Obama deported more illegal immigrants than any President in history, btw. You are conflating policy with scandal, I am afraid.

Iran. We paid them $400MM in foreign currency delivered on an unmarked plane immediately after the hostages were released. And not only this, the State department in a press conference admitted the payments would not have been made if the hostages were not released. That's called a ransom. And it was against the law to pay it. But hey, sure, it was just payment for an arm's deal we made before 1979 with Iran - a long overdue debt. Like returning a library book. Iran is more than just "policy".

Last edited:
I saw that as killing 2 birds with one stone. We owed them money, and managed to get something in return. Would you have felt better if we didn't get the hostages back? How would you have handled it?

I saw that as killing 2 birds with one stone. We owed them money, and managed to get something in return. Would you have felt better if we didn't get the hostages back? How would you have handled it?

Yeah, well the President didn't see it that way. He went on TV and insisted we didn't pay a ransom. So what would I do? Not pay them $400MM at all and tell them if they want the sanctions released in connection with the nuclear deal they have to forgive the debt and also have to release the hostages. The Iranians went on TV and announced that the U.S. paid them a ransom. Hard to see how the President gets to hold that line he said was so important when the other party is telling others inclined to take hostages/prisoners they were paid for the release and your own state department admits it is true.

Last edited:
Iran. We paid them $400MM in foreign currency delivered on an unmarked plane immediately after the hostages were released. And not only this, the State department in a press conference admitted the payments would not have been made if the hostages were not released. That's called a ransom. And it was against the law to pay it. But hey, sure, it was just payment for an arm's deal we made before 1979 with Iran - a long overdue debt. Like returning a library book. Iran is more than just "policy".

And we saved billions by making that payment.

The reason we did it in cash was because until Iran lives to parts of the agreement, we have no banking relations with them.

Yeah, well the President didn't see it that way. He went on TV and insisted we didn't pay a ransom. So what would I do? Not pay them $400MM at all and tell them if they want the sanctions released in connection with the nuclear deal they have to forgive the debt and also have to release the hostages. The Iranians went on TV and announced that the U.S. paid them a ransom. Hard to see how the President gets to hold that line he said was so important when the other party is telling others inclined to take hostages/prisoners they were paid for the release and your own state department admits it is true.

He didn't pay a ransom.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/aug/24/donald-trump/donald-trump-calls-400-million-payment-iran-ransom/

shoo, don't bother DeacMan with facts. They are of no consequence to him. Look at what he considers "scandals".

And of course we have Obamacare. None of this was a scandal. It was just politically infeasible to get a law supported one way so let's just lie about it or avoid transparency. And no one knew, right, that millions would not be able to keep your plan and your doctor.

Jesus Deacman... You are not usually this dense.

The fact so many here can't see past their own nose is pretty telling. Suffice to say plenty of people do recognize Obama was not scandal free. And holding him up as some moral paradigm while rightfully going after Trump will only steel up the resolve of Trump's supporters to look past all Trump's warts. But have at it. It's worked awesome for the last year and half.

He's right that Trump supporters have been extremely consistent in their aptitude and appetite for false equivalence.

DeacMan is exactly like Trump supporters. It's not about "false equivalence". it's about false facts/alternate facts. He doesn't care that multiple GOP investigations have proven there never was an "IRS Scandal" nor a scandal with Benghazi nor any senior Obama official being caught up in a "scandal".

Disagreeing with a policy or a law not panning out is not a scandal. That's how he and others will go to find something to pin on Obama.

Back