• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spicer Presser

Well we've just completely severed all of our factual mooring lines with this one, now haven't we? The last two Republican Presidents voted for Clinton.

How does the fact that W and HW voted for Clinton change bym's assessment of the situation? I haven't heard much news from the Bush family outside of media coverage of HW's illnesses and W's acumen as a painter. How many active party members did not support Trump down the stretch? Lindsey Graham comes to mind. Anybody else?

Lol at this refrain!

There are basically two types of conservatives that I see emerging from this election.

1) There are your really stupid, gullible conservatives like knowell and Reff that actually believe in Trump and the bullshit that he spouts.

2) Then there are conservatives like jhmd. Generally smart and/or reasonable people that may nor may not have voted for Trump, but essentially wanted him to win and preferred him to Clinton. They know exactly what Trump is and how dangerous he is, and they're grappling with the dissonance of knowing how awful/dangerous he may be for the country yet still wanting him to win.

These people will point to the supreme court or other conservative policies that they'll win over the next four years. I think this is fairly legitimate as those goals are consisent with traditional conservative values. But they should at least be honest enough to say, "we know Trump is a dangerous shithead, but it's worth the risk in my view to control the government." I think Trump is so uniquely terrible that I disagree, but I'd at least treat that line of thought as honest; an argument reasonable and logically consistent enough to be worthy of judgment down the line.

But other nonsense like "this is what you elite libruls get for ignoring hard working americans for the last eight years," or "you earned this FU from the voters for ignoring hard working americans for eight years" is just garbage. Yeah, Clinton was a shit candidate and didn't run an effective campaign with an effective message. That's self evident by the fact she lost. But you're not convincing any liberals or moderates by ignoring the total war the GOP has waged against good governance and cooperation during the Obama administration. Enough people recognized that to give her the popular vote.

And let's also stop pretending like you're an uninterested party and that you're watching the events of the next four years unfold like some neutral observer. This is the outcome you wanted. Own it. If Trump does half the shit he's promised for middle-class Americans, he'll have done some good. I doubt he'll follow through on his populist promises. I think he's going to fuck the average American and lie to their faces about which position he's fucking them in. He'll have a press conference saying he's fucking us doggy style when he's clearly pile driving us. But let's stop bullshiting each other with this "I didn't support Trump, but fuck all libruls and fuck you whiny snowflakes about how you lost the election," routine.

Democrats shit the bed. You're in charge. We're going to protest, bitch, and whine about it. I don't think it's possible for us to reach the disgusting, sometimes racist, and destructive level of opposition that Obama faced from many conservatives. But part of being the ruling party is that while you get to run shit, you also occassionally hear from those that don't like what you're doing. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Fuck. Well said.

Well we've just completely severed all of our factual mooring lines with this one, now haven't we? The last two Republican Presidents voted for Clinton.
How do you believe the Republican Congress members voted? 90% for Trump?

Don't forget being supported by nearly every party figure.

How does the fact that W and HW voted for Clinton change bym's assessment of the situation? I haven't heard much news from the Bush family outside of media coverage of HW's illnesses and W's acumen as a painter. How many active party members did not support Trump down the stretch? Lindsey Graham comes to mind. Anybody else?

You mean, besides completely eviscerating this conclusion? It doesn't get more Republican than the Bush family.

The chair of the RNC is his chief of staff. He was supported by the Speaker of the House and Majority Leaders of the House and Senate, not to mention nearly every Republican Senator and Congressman.

You mean, besides completely eviscerating this conclusion? It doesn't get more Republican than the Bush family.

Except they haven't done anything politically for the past 8 years other than Jeb's little blip. You ask the average person who the Republican leaders are these days and you're gonna hear Ryan, McConnell, and, yes Trump.

Not sure Paul Ryan or Mitch McConnell would agree with that.

You don't remember Paul Ryan being dragged to the Trump endorsement like a kid who didn't want to go to Church? This was left's argument in August.

One of her appearances on CNN and some musical? Cabaret or that recent one with the red haired girl? WTF does it matter if I know what musical. It's still not funny.

It's about Chicago. Why are you forgetting about the Midwest ?!?

Your next critique of his policy will still be your first.
Huge coincidence that JHMD's traditional conservative political stances would align so closely with a protest outsider candidate that he didn't vote for. Who could expect such serendipity?

I think that the election suggests otherwise. Your party, for better or for worse and for motives that may or may not be pure, has unified behind Donald Trump.

You don't remember Paul Ryan being dragged to the Trump endorsement like a kid who didn't want to go to Church? This was left's argument in August.

Did he endorse him? I forget.

The "Donald Trump is not a Republican" argument is one of the dumbest. Party ideals change. They've changed to Trumpism.

The "Donald Trump is not a Republican" argument is one of the dumbest. Party ideals change. They've changed to Trumpism.

I've said it before: He's Republican, not Conservative. A trillion dollar infrastructure bill doesn't exactly scream small government to me. Neither does building a massive border wall and counting on a loan after construction begins.

There wasn't a Villanova-esque killshot to it, but Conservatism is dead. The Democrats are dealing with a new beast.

There are factual facts and there are alternative facts, period.

I've said it before: He's Republican, not Conservative. A trillion dollar infrastructure bill doesn't exactly scream small government to me. Neither does building a massive border wall and counting on a loan after construction begins.

There wasn't a Villanova-esque killshot to it, but Conservatism is dead. The Democrats are dealing with a new beast.

alt-cons, if you will.

Republicans haven't been small government conservative for a long time, or so i've been told by every libertarian I've ever met.

Republicans haven't been small government conservative for a long time, or so i've been told by every libertarian I've ever met.

When the only representation for small government holds such heroes as a former congressman who is now the spokesman for prepper fridges and a fictional character who eats lots and lots of bacon, yes, Conservatism is dead.

Fiscally liberal and socially backwards. What a great combination.

Back