• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Star Wars thread (Ahsoka)

My probably dumb thoughts were -

Doesn’t seem like the humans under the Stormtroopers is the problem, it’s that they need the armor the Darktroopers have

Darksaber = Elder wand apparently?

Also if Darksaber can’t cut Beskar then seems like Beskar is the bigger deal right?

Glad the “ignite the green” gets some redemption

i mean, the elder wand literally doesn't function unless it's taken in battle. the mythos that grants the crown of Mandalor just loses its value if the sword is not won in battle, i guess. not super great writing re: the darksaber

Beskar has been a huge deal since the first episode.

The darksaber is sort of like the elder wand in that it gets lighter and easier to use as it “bonds” with its owner. The winning part is really more about the propaganda associated with it within the mandalorian culture. Which is weird because Bo Katan was just basically given it originally from Sabine.

I’m not at all familiar with the animated series so it seemed like the darksaber reveal at the end of S1 was some kinda huge deal but after this episode it sorta seems....not I guess

i really enjoyed the reflection of Vader's corridor slaughter. good stuff.

I like how Alan Sepinwall put it.

“And having Grogu essentially watch Luke Skywalker on television only adds to the power of it. Grogu is us, as children, seeing Star Wars for the first time, gasping at the idea of an all-powerful Force that binds the universe and makes everything better. He reaches a tiny hand towards the screen not only because he and Luke are linked by their powers, but because what he’s seeing is, literally, awesome, and he wants to get closer to it — even if it means leaving his father figure behind.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-recaps/mandalorian-season-2-finale-rescue-recap-1105641/

Beskar has been a huge deal since the first episode.

The darksaber is sort of like the elder wand in that it gets lighter and easier to use as it “bonds” with its owner. The winning part is really more about the propaganda associated with it within the mandalorian culture. Which is weird because Bo Katan was just basically given it originally from Sabine.

Bo's insistence on not being given the sword is no doubt due to losing Mandalore after having the darksaber given rather than earned.

Oh and I finished the last season of Clone Wars. Quite good and I'd say to anyone interested enough to read this thread that certainly the last 3-4 episodes are "must-see".

Now on to Rebels (all the way through).

I like how Alan Sepinwall put it.

“And having Grogu essentially watch Luke Skywalker on television only adds to the power of it. Grogu is us, as children, seeing Star Wars for the first time, gasping at the idea of an all-powerful Force that binds the universe and makes everything better. He reaches a tiny hand towards the screen not only because he and Luke are linked by their powers, but because what he’s seeing is, literally, awesome, and he wants to get closer to it — even if it means leaving his father figure behind.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-recaps/mandalorian-season-2-finale-rescue-recap-1105641/

Can’t remember if Ahsoka mentioned the deets of Grogu leaving the temple prior to Order 66. Luke’s carnage is kind of a mirror of Anakin slaughtering younglings.

SPOILER ALERT. So how can a TV show make a CGI Luke look so remarkably real, but a big movie studio cannot? Has CGI really come that far in the couple years since Rogue One? I'm guessing it has, but I also think Rogue One would benefit from the George Lucas idea of re-doing the effects a few years from now. The CGI Tarkin is the only thing that bugged me about Rogue One (CGI Leia wasn't long enough or bad enough to be distracting). So they should do that. For me.

when the TV show is a cash cow backed by Disney/lucas arts and is one of the premier IPs in existence

while it was kind of fun to see Uncanny Skywalker, i thought it sucked the air out of the finale

Rogue One was four years ago. That’s enough time for major leaps in CGI. Lucasfilm’s Stagecraft technology is pretty amazing.

I’m sure they’ll talk about the Luke CGI in the Making of Season 2 special that comes out on Friday.

i mean, the elder wand literally doesn't function unless it's taken in battle.

IMPORTANT - I don't think this is true. Voldemort uses it and it doesn't work as expected because he was not its true master, but it still functions.

CGI humans suck. I wish they wouldn't do it at all, for anyone.

Always like to see Ming-Na getting work.

you gotta give Star Wars credit for having an entire sequence of an all-female special forces unit in action

Star Wars thread (Mandalorian + a million other shows coming)

I think most of Mando’s fighting allies throughout the show have been women.

There was some clarification yesterday that Book of Boba Fett is already in production and will air in before Mandalorian Season 3. Mandalorian is in pre-production. What’s not clear is if Mandolarian will debut Christmas Day as stated in the Disney investor presentation.

Today’s episode of 1A (public radio show) was devoted to Star Wars, critique of the sequels, praise for The Mandalorian, and a broad overview of future projects.

https://the1a.org/segments/star-wars-the-future-awaits/

Last edited:
It's gonna be really hard to defend any of the sequel trilogy after this season of Mando. That's coming from someone who liked TFA & TLJ.

First season of this show started slow and ended strong -- but they knocked this season out of the park and obviously had some more money for effects and cool stuff. Makes me sad that the movies couldn't have been this cohesive.

This is my take too. The first season was enjoyable but the second season went to another level.

Be sure to watch the Disney Gallery Mandalorian Making of Season 2 that dropped on Christmas Day. It’s just an hour special as opposed to an 8 episode season. They don’t spend as much time on the technical aspects or do the round table discussions. It goes through each episode. Robert Rodriguez talking about “The Tragedy” and re-introducing Boba Fett was probably the most interesting. I didn’t realize how young he is. Desperado was a long time ago but he did it in his 20s.

I’ll go ahead and let you know they don’t talk about Luke at all.

Be sure to watch the Disney Gallery Mandalorian Making of Season 2 that dropped on Christmas Day. It’s just an hour special as opposed to an 8 episode season. They don’t spend as much time on the technical aspects or do the round table discussions. It goes through each episode. Robert Rodriguez talking about “The Tragedy” and re-introducing Boba Fett was probably the most interesting. I didn’t realize how young he is. Desperado was a long time ago but he did it in his 20s.

I’ll go ahead and let you know they don’t talk about Luke at all.

I wonder if Rodriguez looks at his production budget now and laughs when he made El Mariachi for $7k?

He discusses a Star Wars “short film” he made for far less than that.

Back