• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump will be removed before he can finish his term

"We were right. And friends who urged us to tone it down, to make our peace with him, to stop saying as loudly as we could “this is abnormal,” to accommodate him, to show loyalty to the Republican Party, to think that he and his advisers could be tamed, were wrong. In an epic week beginning with a dark and divisive inaugural speech, extraordinary attacks on a free press, a visit to the CIA that dishonored a monument to anonymous heroes who paid the ultimate price, and now an attempt to ban selected groups of Muslims (including interpreters who served with our forces in Iraq and those with green cards, though not those from countries with Trump hotels, or from really indispensable states like Saudi Arabia), he has lived down to expectations.

Precisely because the problem is one of temperament and character, it will not get better. It will get worse, as power intoxicates Trump and those around him. It will probably end in calamity—substantial domestic protest and violence, a breakdown of international economic relationships, the collapse of major alliances, or perhaps one or more new wars (even with China) on top of the ones we already have. It will not be surprising in the slightest if his term ends not in four or in eight years, but sooner, with impeachment or removal under the 25th Amendment. The sooner Americans get used to these likelihoods, the better."

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/01/a-clarifying-moment-in-american-history/514868/

I'm still not ruling out the possibility that he doesn't really know how laws actually get passed. He thinks the President just does whatever he wants. No one is going to tell him otherwise.

Has he managed to button his jacket yet?

--Big Gut Tailors.com.

Last edited:
WFR basically nailed the other things I wanted to mention. the friggin' english want nothing to do with him. the perception in europe is that he has literally lost his mind. he's actually damaging the nativist/nationalist movements in many of those countries via association. Forget subtle neo-fascism, he's going full steam ahead 1930s style, and people in europe still very much remember how that went the first time around.

Doomsday clock moved ahead one minute because of climate change................and trump. the human wrecking ball. and also putin, who is far from the sharpest crayon in a 10-pack, is still going to play him like the buffoon he is when they speak over phone.

If Trump is Mike Keighaighalgjhakjh, the GOP members of Congress are ACC officials.

Trump isn't going anywhere. He is just getting started. Its going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Trump isn't going anywhere. He is just getting started. Its going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

this doesn't mean I support everything he does but this Trump is ending or losing or going to be impeached etc is fools gold. 2 years later and the prognosticators are still in the business of predicting his demise. I would think by now there would be no credit to expend on this issue.

this doesn't mean I support everything he does but this Trump is ending or losing or going to be impeached etc is fools gold. 2 years later and the prognosticators are still in the business of predicting his demise. I would think by now there would be no credit to expend on this issue.

credit springs eternal on the internet !

prognosticators would have been correct already but nobody could have really anticipated how technology has(d) neutered traditional institutions and societal pillars. By the time our churches, schools, traditional media, and other branches of government as well as grassroots opposition all got in gear and realized it was time to end the joke, it was too late.

Now, however, he's actually making decisions instead of spewing rhetoric. Trump's ability to remain in power will depend largely on his ability to continue to defy traditional sources of political, religious, economic, and social power (his penchant for creating conflict precludes appeasement). His cabinet may reflect an effort to insulate himself from these conventional dictators of discourse (as they're also--not coincidentally--the mouthpiece of the 1% of the 1%).

Through history these bodies and the gentry, nobility, peers, aristocrats, businessmen, and religious officials that they represent have always, more or less, set the goalposts and determined the winners. There are notable exceptions over time; Trump's ascendancy being one of them (although the fact that he was taken as a joke for so long is a major reason he wasn't checked earlier on). this thread is partially about whether or not these longstanding sources of power will triumph over trump.

I'm betting on the house on this one, and also betting it won't take them four years to topple trump.

On the latter i may or may not be right, but on the former I will be. Trump will be a one term president. Looking forward to the inevitable thread bump if i'm wrong on either (or esp. both) counts but it shouldn't need it as imma see about keeping this one on the front page.

Last edited:
dmc, I appreciate your posts. And I tend to agree he'll be a 1 term president, either voluntarily or involuntarily. But here's my question for you. Considering the Dems won't have the house or senate back until 2020 at the earliest, how does Trump not last 4 years? IOW, what sin(s) will he commit that would be so bad that the Pub house would impeach him, and the Pub senate would convict him?

Here's the only way I can think of. First and foremost, his protectionist economic policies cause a recession. If the economy remains strong, ain't no way he's impeached. Second, there'd have to be a scandal serious enough that at least 70% of the country thinks is so bad that he should be removed. I'm thinking something like his tax returns reveal significant ties to Russia, proof is established that he's been given that 19% interest in that Russian oil company, and he's taken overt actions to support Putin and undermine NATO. Short of both a recession and horrible scandal, I don't see impeachment as a serious possibility.

C'ville, although it is unlikely to happen, if Trump does a few really bad things, the GOP might want to impeach to clean their hands from his BS. They love Pence and wouldn't mind him being POTUS.

It's a very, very, very long shot that the GOP does anything, but if Trump does something really bad, they would do it to show they are honest.

I think Trump has a decent shot at being a one-term president, but that also means Democrats would have to nominate somebody worth a shit.

It was obvious to most Americans that Trump was an incompetent asshole last time around, and he still won. If he runs in 2020 it'll be harder to argue that he's incompetent after four years on the job.

I could see a scenario where he's hugely unpopular (already is) and simply decides not to run in 2020. If he's gotten a decent chunk of his agenda through, he's rich, and he's made his mark by achieving the presidency, he may just cash in his chips and play golf for the rest of his life instead of risking losing a second election, which in his mind would likely stain his legacy.

prognosticators would have been correct already but nobody could have really anticipated how technology has(d) neutered traditional institutions and societal pillars. By the time our churches, schools, traditional media, and other branches of government as well as grassroots opposition all got in gear and realized it was time to end the joke, it was too late.

Now, however, he's actually making decisions instead of spewing rhetoric. Trump's ability to remain in power will depend largely on his ability to continue to defy traditional sources of political, religious, economic, and social power (his penchant for creating conflict precludes appeasement). His cabinet may reflect an effort to insulate himself from these conventional dictators of discourse (as they're also--not coincidentally--the mouthpiece of the 1% of the 1%).

Through history these bodies and the gentry, nobility, peers, aristocrats, businessmen, and religious officials that they represent have always, more or less, set the goalposts and determined the winners. There are notable exceptions over time; Trump's ascendancy being one of them (although the fact that he was taken as a joke for so long is a major reason he wasn't checked earlier on). this thread is partially about whether or not these longstanding sources of power will triumph over trump.

I'm betting on the house on this one, and also betting it won't take them four years to topple trump.

On the latter i may or may not be right, but on the former I will be. Trump will be a one term president. Looking forward to the inevitable thread bump if i'm wrong on either (or esp. both) counts but it shouldn't need it as imma see about keeping this one on the front page.

If the economy is strong and Trump does not get us into a war, he coasts to a re-election. If the economy falters badly or we are at war, then there is a decent chance Trump loses.

trump won't run for president - he does
trump won't win primary - wins
losing in every poll and can not win general - wins
trump won't keep his promises everyone has been duped he is not building a wall - he is
now he won't make it 4 years .....

holy fuck sooner or later you might get something right

I think it is more likely Trump appoints 4 to the Supreme Court than he will be removed from office.

If he starts the wall Hillary's indictment will follow.

Interesting times.

trump won't run for president - he does
trump won't win primary - wins
losing in every poll and can not win general - wins
trump won't keep his promises everyone has been duped he is not building a wall - he is
now he won't make it 4 years .....

holy fuck sooner or later you might get something right

lots of good responses in this thread so far that i need a bit to think on, but just fyi Deacs89 if by "you" that means me specifically, i have made no such predictions except for the last, and i had to see the inauguration before i made this prediction.

It would be true I didn't think he'd win the nomination, but hes been planning a presidential run for years and I did believe most of his rhetoric in the sense that he actually believes and want's to move on his main platforms (fuck immigrants, build a wall, jobs! and MAGA (Again)!!). Still doubtful anything will be accomplished except for fucking immigrants.

So i guess I'm just asking for a bit of nuance from you wrt me on this.

Back