• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thread Derailed Completely

Personally, I called my stock broker a couple of days after the election and increased positions in oil infrastructure and banking stocks. If a wide swatch of Americans are stupid enough not to vote in their self-interest, then I might as well financially benefit from it.

JFC

Meh.

I was in oil infrastructure under Obama. It has been beaten up and like it or not, we need oil as part of our energy picture for a couple of decades unless you are willing to suffer a catastrophic economic calamity. I put gas in my car as do most Americans.

Regarding pipelines in general, that oil is going to be monetized, and I have seen no evidence apart from the special interest group noise that pipelines aren't the safest manner to transport it. Not really a huge issue with me one way or another.

Bank stocks will do better in rising interest rate environment.

Got out of some of the medical reits that made sense in an Obamacare world.

Last edited:
Meh.

I was in oil infrastructure under Obama. It has been beaten up and like it or not, we need oil as part of our energy picture for a couple of decades unless you are willing to suffer a catastrophic economic calamity. I put gas in my car as do most Americans.

Regarding pipelines in general, that oil is going to be monetized, and I have seen no evidence apart from the special interest group noise that pipelines aren't the safest manner to transport it. Not really a huge issue with me one way or another.

Justify it however you like.

Last edited:
Nuclear Strike Survival for Russia, China Get New U.S. Review

"U.S. intelligence agencies and the Pentagon’s Strategic Command are working on a new evaluation of whether the Russian and Chinese leadership could survive a nuclear strike and keep operating, even as President Donald Trump seeks to reshape relations with both nations.

The new study, ordered by Congress before Trump took office, drew bipartisan support from members who harbor deep concern about China’s increasing military boldness and distrust of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s intentions."

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...-survival-for-russia-china-get-new-u-s-review

They moved them to a point where they can now reach Washington DC. Its some not so subtle saber rattling.

lol because they are going to launch a nuke strike ? lol I'm freaking out man. Gonna start buying stocks in a bomb shelter company. The hysteria is reaching epic proportions.

lol because they are going to launch a nuke strike ? lol I'm freaking out man. Gonna start buying stocks in a bomb shelter company. The hysteria is reaching epic proportions.

You should read The Guns of August. Many of you should read The Guns of August.

nuclear war doesn't just happen, you take steps down that road. this thread is documenting that descent.

the doomsday clock hasn't been this close to midnight since 1953. this isn't hysteria but this isn't a joke either.

Nuclear saber rattling is noteworthy to pay attention to and I was pretty clear in that I do not believe we are about to launch a nuclear war.

Meh.

I met with my adviser about a month ago, and at the time he thought some bank stocks were overvalued. But short run, could be a good idea. But if they gut Dodd/Frank, that could lead to a failure or 2 down the road if the economy heads south. I somewhat kiddingly emailed him on Friday asking him to get Goldman to create a vehicle where I could short Mexico. He responded that 1 of the things on his agenda was to start looking into Mexican based businesses. The problem is we just don't know how much of this is just early saber rattling or if a Pub Congress won't give him any money to build the wall.

Weird, I would think a Trump administration comparing something to Russia's annexation of Crimea would be a positive.

Back