• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bullshit Trump Says

Bullshit. Conservatives enabled this mess. You don't get to conveniently claim your party doesn't represent you when you spent 2 decades building up to this mess.

(1) they aren't my party
(2) I didn't say that. I said the republican party isn't conservative.

I said this the other day but think it’s relevant to Wakelaw’s posts today as well:

I agree that Donald doesn't represent conservatism in many (maybe even most) regards from a theoretical perspective. However, most of his enablers as well as most of the elected Republican officials were in fact elected running on conservative policies and the ones who have been in office for a longer time have been predominantly conservative over that time period. These are the same elected officials who have rolled over and acquiesced to Donald's presidency.

There are plenty of elected Democrats who don't always put liberal and/or progressive policies into practice in office, but are there any similar examples to what is going on now with Republicans?

I realize hindsight is 20/20, but without the current crop of spineless Republicans in other elected positions refusing to do anything (and elected by the very conservatives who now claim not to have a party) Donald wouldn't be remotely as powerful as he is today. How many of these Republicans put into office by conservatives have stood up to Donald on a regular basis?

My point was it's an effective argument to point out that the republican party has abandoned their claimed "conservative principals" and willingly become a nativist/populist/nationalist cult of personality. It's almost like it was never really about "limited government," or "free trade" or the "national debt," etc.

I can respectfully disagree (or even sometimes agree) with conservatives. I have no respect for this brand of the republican party.

Conservatives voted by overwhelming numbers for President Trump.

Outside of cocktail parties and message boards, "conservatives" don't exist.

To answer your question, the republicans willing to stand up to Trump are either gone/leaving (Flake/Amash) or fell in line (Cruz/Graham). Their half of the country chose MAGA over conservatism. Members had the choice of falling in line or facing a primary. Some, like Paul Ryan, tried to have it both ways and act like he was leaving on his own terms.

My argument is simply that conservatism is antithetical to the party of trump. I'm not arguing for conservatism.

Conservatives voted by overwhelming numbers for President Trump.

Outside of cocktail parties and message boards, "conservatives" don't exist.

Yeah. I agree that the anti-trump movement on the right is much stronger in the media than it is on the ground with actual votes. Joe Walsh, Bill Kristol, Steve Schmidt, Rick Wilson, David Brooks, etc. do a pretty good job of explaining the problem. But the people who need to hear their message aren't listening.

The number of people who touted themselves as republicans based on their top view of “fiscal conservatism” has turned out to be a massive farce.

To answer your question, the republicans willing to stand up to Trump are either gone/leaving (Flake/Amash) or fell in line (Cruz/Graham). Their half of the country chose MAGA over conservatism. Members had the choice of falling in line or facing a primary. Some, like Paul Ryan, tried to have it both ways and act like he was leaving on his own terms.

My argument is simply that conservatism is antithetical to the party of trump. I'm not arguing for conservatism.

Conservatives wet the bed. In 2016 election, they either quietly voted for Trump, voted for a third party, or didn't vote at all because they couldn't stomach voting for a Democrat. Today, they either fell in line, practice willful ignorance, or just stay quiet. I have yet to see any regular "conservatives" say, "I'm leaving the Republican party. This is too much." George Will did and he is basically blacklisted amonst conservatives. He used to be their intellectual hero.

Yeah. I agree that the anti-trump movement on the right is much stronger in the media than it is on the ground with actual votes. Joe Walsh, Bill Kristol, Steve Schmidt, Rick Wilson, David Brooks, etc. do a pretty good job of explaining the problem. But the people who need to hear their message aren't listening.

They fail to admit the role they played paving the way for Trump. The problem for them is generally Trump himself not his policies.

And if there is a huge blue wave and Democrats take the White House and Congress, it will be maybe 2 months in before they start complaining and start admitting things were better under Trump.

Last edited:
Conservatives wet the bed. In 2016 election, they either quietly voted for Trump, voted for a third party, or didn't vote at all because they couldn't stomach voting for a Democrat. Today, they either fell in line, practice willful ignorance, or just stay quiet. I have yet to see any regular "conservatives" say, "I'm leaving the Republican party. This is too much." George Will did and he is basically blacklisted amonst conservatives. He used to be their intellectual hero.

I actually know a handful of establishment Pub/Chamber of Commerce types who held their nose and voted for Clinton. Most of them also voted for Kaine, Northam and McAuliffe before that because VA Pubs have been running some crazies lately like Cuccinelli and Corey Stewart. The VA Pub party chair resigned when Stewart became their senate candidate. It's a small segment of the Pub party, but it does exist.

I have to thank Trump for giving me a laugh when he said he was the "King of the Jews". In this time, I can't think of an ethnic group less suited for having a king. The old adage is if you get ten Jews in a room, you'll have twelve opinions. This is not conducive to having a king telling everyone what they should do, how they should do it and when.

I have to thank Trump for giving me a laugh when he said he was the "King of the Jews". In this time, I can't think of an ethnic group less suited for having a king. The old adage is if you get ten Jews in a room, you'll have twelve opinions. This is not conducive to having a king telling everyone what they should do, how they should do it and when.

Wait, is this an anti-Semitic trope?

I know you're Jewish and all, but declaring oneself "King of the Jews" is likely way more blasphemous in X'ianity then Judaism.

I know you're Jewish and all, but declaring oneself "King of the Jews" is likely way more blasphemous in X'ianity then Judaism.

This reminded me of the time I introduced myself as “ADT, Son of David,” to my pastor and his wife at a service when I was like 15 (my dads name is David). My pastor thought it was funny and gave a good laugh. His wife stared daggers at me and I’m pretty sure still to this day thinks I’m a heathen (correct). Religion is so much more tolerable when it doesn’t take itself seriously.

Back