• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Bannon Kicked Out of Government & Indicted for Fraud

Interesting NPR story about protectionist policies in Argentina under their previous president. TL;DR Smart phones now cost about $1000 a piece and you can't find an IPhone anywhere in the country. Americans are going to have to get used to things costing a lot more if they want to have them made here or have tariffs imposed.

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/23/51689...ist-president-some-companies-left-the-country

ETA: Audio not yet available on line.

You would think that this stuff is pretty simple economics.

Bannon was all about "economic nationalism" and saying "you don't think THEY will give the country back do you?"

Those aren't even hidden buzzwords.

Bannon today discussed how Trump's plan is "deconstruction of the administrative state". They are burning it all down. It's like having the Joker in charge.

You would think that this stuff is pretty simple economics.

When negotiating 1 on 1 with pretty much everyone in the world, they have a lot more to lose by not trading with us than we have with not trading with them. Its not like Mexico can say "fuck you, now we won't make your goods, have fun paying more for all the goods." Well they can say that, but it's pretty dumb, because we can just get Bagladesh to make them for even cheaper. But we can easily say "fuck you, the largest economy in the world isn't buying your shit anymore."

That's also simple economics.

So as Trump says, we can get better deals. And Trump's the man to do it.

When negotiating 1 on 1 with pretty much everyone in the world, they have a lot more to lose by not trading with us than we have with not trading with them. Its not like Mexico can say "fuck you, now we won't make your goods, have fun paying more for all the goods." Well they can say that, but it's pretty dumb, because we can just get Bagladesh to make them for even cheaper. But we can easily say "fuck you, the largest economy in the world isn't buying your shit anymore."

That's also simple economics.

But Trump's stated objective is to get manufacturing jobs back to America, not Bangladesh. Imposing tariffs in an effort to level the playing field and make the American workers, that want to make $15 per hour and have health insurance, more competitive in the globalized labor force is going to make all our stuff cost more.

But Trump's stated objective is to get manufacturing jobs back to America, not Bangladesh. Imposing tariffs in an effort to level the playing field and make the American workers, that want to make $15 per hour and have health insurance, more competitive in the globalized labor force is going to make all our stuff cost more.

True, just pointing out a smart negotiator can make good deals here. Unfortunately I don't have that much trust he's a smart negotiator. But in theory he could use that threat to force a deal beneficial to us before then rebuilding those factories.

I haven't seen a sales pitch from Trump that isn't based on people already trusting him. He tells people what they want to hear: "You're great, this deal is huge, and we are going to be tremendous friends!" That may work on rubes who want to trust him, but for anyone who is skeptical or prudent, which leaders of countries tend to be, I personally don't see his marketing 101 gimmick paying off.

Last edited:
I haven't seen a sales pitch from Trump that isn't based on people already trusting him. He tells people what they want to hear: "You're great, this deal is huge, and we are going to be tremendous friends!" That may work on rubes who want to trust him, but for anyone who is skeptical or prudent, which leaders of countries tend to be, I personally don't see his marketing 101 gimmick paying off.

This is a good take. Countries have leverage in that they don't trust or like Trump and they know most other countries don't either.

I've never voted for a Republican in my life and am a Democrat, FWIW. I'm pro abortion and an athiest, and lost my cushy $700/hr job at 25 because some jackass values republican decided I couldn't gamble on the internet anymore and attached it to a rider on a port security bill in 2006. I've also lived in a mexican neighborhood for 10 years now and like and have no problems with them and live with an illegal immigrant. So yeah, I hate the republicans as much as you do, and will never in my life vote for one as long as they're tied to the religious right.

They're prolly right about burdensome regulations though. And you're prolly wrong about Steve Bannon.

for someone with a bit of real world knowledge you do a great job of both hiding it and wasting people's time. just so you know, the united states is an economic paper tiger and mexico absolutely can tell us to fuck off. its a situation where both sides lose. but our country continually deludes itself wrt economics and globalization.

Most people think we normalized relations with cuba by choice, when in truth all of south america has already told the U.S. to kick rocks in one way or another. we are increasingly isolated in this hemisphere and in world affairs. this has been happening for some years now.

Last edited:
for someone with a bit of real world knowledge you do a great job of both hiding it and wasting people's time. just so you know, the united states is an economic paper tiger and mexico absolutely can tell us to fuck off. its a situation where both sides lose. but our country continually deludes itself wrt economics and globalization.

Most people think we normalized relations with cuba by choice, when in truth all of south america has already told the U.S. to kick rocks in one way or another. we are increasingly isolated in this hemisphere and in world affairs

How's that working out for South America?

What's Bannon's end goal? Does he have a manifesto that explains the "deconstruction of the administrative state"?

Anyone who still thinks Trump is a good deal maker is either delusional or has never been part of any real deal-making. He is awful by all accounts.

But I'm just a dumbshit liberal on a message board. Someone please enlighten me on the good deals he has made and I'll take it back.

Anyone who still thinks Trump is a good deal maker is either delusional or has never been part of any real deal-making. He is awful by all accounts.

But I'm just a dumbshit liberal on a message board. Someone please enlighten me on the good deals he has made and I'll take it back.

He's pretty good at real estate deals. But I'm just a dumbshit liberal who had lunch yesterday with a guy who has designed some of his skyscrapers and asked him about it.

He's pretty good at real estate deals. But I'm just a dumbshit liberal who had lunch yesterday with a guy who has designed some of his skyscrapers and asked him about it.

I have clients who have been on both sides of deals with President Trump. To say he is a joke in real estate is an understatement.

I have clients who have been on both sides of deals with President Trump. To say he is a joke in real estate is an understatement.

well he did say he didn't pay attention to the details. More of a big picture kinda guy. I dig it.

Back