• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump's Bullshit Trade Tantrums

Hmmm...

China slapping tariffs on multiple US imports. Stock market dipping.

Who could've seen this coming???

The Chinese Ministry of Commerce on Wednesday said it plans to impose a 25% tariff on $50 billion worth of US exports. The 106 affected products will also include soybeans and chemicals.

China's announcement is a direct response to the Trump administration's publication Tuesday of a list of about 1,300 Chinese exports -- also worth about $50 billion annually -- that it intends to target with 25% tariffs.
http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/04/news/economy/china-tariffs-us-goods-soybeans/index.html

maga

hard to notice an extra $40/month in your paycheck when the price of everything starts rising

Imagine how many people were going to start businesses with their extra $40 until these tariffs came along. Sad!

Fuck the Communist Chinese. They have been stealing shit for years. As Trump beautifully put it “how can you lose what you already lost”

South Korea is going to play Trump like a cheap fiddle by upping the limit of US car brands that can be sold in their country from 25,000 to 50,000. Of course, no American brand has ever sold more than 11,000 units in a year in South Korea.

Libby from the Hill

“Elizabeth Warren’s visit to China comes as U.S. President Donald Trump prepares to implement trade tariffs on more than U.S. $50 billion worth of Chinese goods designed to punish the country over U.S. allegations that Beijing systematically misappropriated American intellectual property.

The Massachusetts Democrat and Trump foe, who has been touted as a potential 2020 presidential candidate despite rejecting such speculation, said U.S. trade policy needed a rethink and that she was not afraid of tariffs.

After years of mistakenly assuming economic engagement would lead to a more open China, the U.S. government was waking up to Chinese demands for U.S. companies to give up their know-how in exchange for access to its market, Warren said.”

Have you looked at the goods we are slapping tariffs on? Doubt anyone is buying any of that at WalMart.

yes, none of these things could affect consumer prices:
- Bookbinding machines
— Brewery machines
— Can-sealing machines
— Centrifuges
— Concrete mixers
— Drilling machines
— Hand-held blow torches
— Industrial dryers
— Plows
— Snowplows
— Textile printing machinery
— TV parts
— Tower cranes
— Train parts
— Water boilers

Last edited:
Imagine how many people were going to start businesses with their extra $40 until these tariffs came along. Sad!

It’s interesting to consider the tariffs as a counterpart to the tax cut bill. Both are regressive—one in lowering taxes, the other in raising tax revenue.

Fuck the Communist Chinese. They have been stealing shit for years. As Trump beautifully put it “how can you lose what you already lost”

You can always lose more though.

Talk about fucking up a good economy for no reason whatsoever, my 2 primary vendors each emailed down 12% surcharges on any items containing aluminum or galvanized steel.

Thanks a fucking lot Donnie!!

I know we have some fiscal conservatives on this board that aren't loony toons; So how do these trade propositions align with a more traditionally conservative view? On the surface, it seems like sacrificing diplomacy in an attempt to flex muscle and squeeze countries would be supported by the more traditional conservative agenda. Is it? Most sane Republicans I know don't mind the idea, but don't trust the man doing it, at least not openly. I feel like deep down they still think he is some sort of deal maker, and they would still rather have even a crappy conservative negotiator than a doormat dem.

I've always viewed these matters in terms of Republicans preferring to sacrifice diplomacy for money, while Democrats prefer to sacrifice money for diplomacy. Both can be effective when done properly, and I'm in favor of the wheel between the two constantly turning, but it would appear Trump is burning A LOT more diplomacy than he's getting in return for money. Time will tell. What we already know however is that Obama won a Nobel peace prize while recovering from a recession and growing the economy for 7 straight years.

Last edited:
I know we have some fiscal conservatives on this board that aren't loony toons; So how do these trade propositions align with a more traditionally conservative view? On the surface, it seems like sacrificing diplomacy in an attempt to flex muscle and squeeze countries would be supported by the more traditional conservative agenda. Is it? Most sane Republicans I know don't mind the idea, but don't trust the man doing it, at least not openly. I feel like deep down they still think he is some sort of deal maker, and they would still rather have even a crappy conservative negotiator than a doormat dem.

I've always viewed these matters in terms of Republicans preferring to sacrifice diplomacy for money, while Democrats prefer to sacrifice money for diplomacy. Both can be effective when done properly, and I'm in favor of the wheel between the two constantly turning, but it would appear Trump is burning A LOT more diplomacy than he's getting in return for money. Time will tell. What we already know however is that Obama won a Nobel peace prize while recovering from a recession and growing the economy for 7 straight years.

I have been a small business owner for 13 years and miraculously made it through the great recession. Our best years without a doubt have been the 2012-2016 Obama years. 2017 was very strong and this year has started out that way, but I am beginning to see chinks in the armor. As I see it the economy is running full steam and there is no room for expansion. Why fuck with that with this tariff bullshit. Trump the neighborhood bully seems to think he knows best. This coming from a guy that never uses his own money and has been bankrupt on 4 different occasions.

Somebody put an adult in charge please.

Back