• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump's Bullshit Trade Tantrums

I really think Trump equates trade to dealing with subcontractors and if you just throw your weight around the other side will cave and your building will cost less to develop. Zero nuance.

Many have said he thinks we write them a check not just buy more stuff.

Trump says he's willing to intervene in Huawei case to close China trade deal

“Whatever’s good for this country, I would do," he said. “If I think it’s good for what will be certainly the largest trade deal ever made – which is a very important thing – what’s good for national security – I would certainly intervene if I thought it was necessary."

Yeah, but something just FEELS different about accepting a handout from Trump rather than Obama.

almost 8 billion because of that shitbag...smh

Think of all the concrete blocks and steel slats that could have bought...what a waste

How Goes the Trade War?

And the paper under discussion: THE IMPACT OF THE 2018 TRADE WAR ON U.S. PRICES AND WELFARE

Abstract
This paper explores the impacts of the Trump administration’s trade policy on prices and welfare. Over the course of 2018, the U.S. experienced substantial increases in the prices of intermediates and final goods, dramatic changes to its supply-chain network, reductions in availability of imported varieties, and complete passthrough of the tariffs into domestic prices of imported goods. Overall, using standard economic methods, we find that the full incidence of the tariff falls on domestic consumers, with a reduction in U.S. real income of $1.4 billion per month by the end of 2018. We also see similar patterns for foreign countries who have retaliated against the U.S., which indicates that the trade war also reduced real income for other countries.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...-open-japans-agriculture-market/#.XJI52xopDxw

It came a week after Lighthizer expressed concern that the recent enforcement of the Trans-Pacific Partnership — an 11-member FTA including Japan and Australia — as well as a free trade deal between Japan and the European Union, will put American farmers and ranchers at a disadvantage.

According to Japanese government data, the nation’s beef imports from Australia, Canada, Mexico and New Zealand — four members of what is formally known as the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership — jumped more than 50 percent in January from a year earlier.

The CPTPP came into force on Dec. 30. The Trump administration, which prefers bilateral trade deals, withdrew the United States from the original pact in 2017.

Washing machines are exactly the sort of thing though that you buy with no real idea of how much one is supposed to cost, especially given the range you COULD spend on one. So if they go up $100, nobody really notices, the rich get richer, and the consumer is none the wiser...just poorer. So yeah, par for the conservative course.

Back